Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 12:05 pm

How many feel that the age 35 and older are underrepresented here on WP?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 12:08 pm

I see more people 35+ here than people younger than that. :? Its actually been an issue for me the entire time I've been on here because I can't relate with most people here, as they're usually older and/or more high functioning than I am.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 12:53 pm

More often than not, younger-adult perspectives seem common here on WP - hence the concerns that older adults may be underrepresented!

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 1:13 pm

Maybe older adult experiences stick out more to me, and younger adult experiences stick out more to you? I feel like things we don't relate with might be more noticeable, because once again I feel like older adults are always able to share their experiences and relate on here, while I can't really give much input due to my age + inexperience. I also noticed older people think there's too many young people, so maybe things are more equal than I realize and, like I said earlier, that older people just stick out more because I'm younger.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 7:38 pm

WP has by far the oldest demographics of any autistic space I have seen.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 1:14 am

Well, I suspect that most in their 30ies are occupied by relationships and kids.
Older and younger have more time for silly stuff like answering posts on forums.

/Mats

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 1:19 am

mohsart wrote:
Well, I suspect that most in their 30ies are occupied by relationships and kids.

On a site for Aspies?? LOL.

No, I think a lot of the 50/60+ crowd were diagnosed later in life, and were able to manage and make it this far and it's just a nice place to discuss their uniqueness in their retirement. The children (teens and 20s) were probably officially diagnosed in childhood. I find few in their 30s/40s who are not diagnosed, still far from retirement, but know of Asperger's thanks to the Internet.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 1:31 am

This is a universal problem even on NT forums. Young people are more interested in superficial social behaviour, having fun, getting laid, and showing off. They are also unsure of themselves and their social identity (where they fit in) so tend to avoid committing themselves on issues online.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 1:33 am

I can only speak for myself, but I was heavily into news groups (80-90ies versions of forums) in my teens and now I'm obviously here.
When I was 30 I was building a family, no time for forums and such.

/Mats

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 1:40 am

mohsart wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but I was heavily into news groups (80-90ies versions of forums) in my teens and now I'm obviously here.
When I was 30 I was building a family, no time for forums and such.

/Mats

Yeah true, late 20s/early 30s is a family building period. But forums are also 2D platforms and young people want 3D experiences :lol:

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 3:33 pm

The more challenging, complex adult concerns are under-represented here on WP:

One of many concerns are establishing trusted friendships. For example, who's name(s) do we include on health, and medical forms asking, 'who to contact in case of emergency?'

In several posts I've initiated, and discussion threads I've contributed to here on WP, one objective is to become acquainted with people on the Autism Spectrum who are NT-like!

One example of a discussion thread (LINK) is in the 'Social Skills & Making Friends' Forum, 'NT-Like Acquaintances A Must!'

Entire original post is short and to the point - EXCERPT: 'NT-like acquaintances a must in going beyond small-talk, and hence most favorable towards developing friendships!'

Yet, there are only around 70 views to this post, yet no responses at the time of this writing! -- WHY?

LINK: viewtopic.php?t=399575

Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 8:11 pm

I'm 34, and have been on here for 3½ years but my post count is low. I'm impressed by how you all manage to interact so much.

My impression is that most online communities consist of younger folks and that's just the way it is. Compared to those, WP has a good mix. Seeing people at different stages of a life that's not entirely different from your own gives you clues to what paths to choose for yourself.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 2:03 pm

I see quite a few people (including myself) within this demographic here on WP. I do feel that this is a big issue on facebook groups, however.

mohsart wrote:
Older and younger have more time for silly stuff like answering posts on forums.

/Mats

I'm laughing to myself because this is the complete opposite of what I've done. I've been married for 20 years, but I've never really yearned for the "family building" that is referenced throughout this thread. Maybe I'm just an outlier, but I've been burying myself in forums and online gaming communities pretty consistently throughout my adult life. Luckily, I have an ND partner who had/has similar interests. If I had known I was autistic back then, I would have surely found my way here as well.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 3:45 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:

One of many concerns are establishing trusted friendships. For example, who's name(s) do we include on health, and medical forms asking, 'who to contact in case of emergency?'

In several posts I've initiated, and discussion threads I've contributed to here on WP, one objective is to become acquainted with people on the Autism Spectrum who are NT-like!

One example of a discussion thread (LINK) is in the 'Social Skills & Making Friends' Forum, 'NT-Like Acquaintances A Must!'

Entire original post is short and to the point - EXCERPT: 'NT-like acquaintances a must in going beyond small-talk, and hence most favorable towards developing friendships!'

Yet, there are only around 70 views to this post, yet no responses at the time of this writing! -- WHY?

Thank-you for the responses for this discussion-thread.

The above post is discusses an important issue.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 4:03 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:

That's probably why. Your post is essentially a statement and doesn't really give any incentive for open discussion. Maybe you could try responding to the post with a clarifying response that outlines why you think NT-like acquaintances are important (and what constitutes "NT-like"), and ask if people agree/disagree with your reasoning?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 4:39 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

That's probably why. Your post is essentially a statement and doesn't really give any incentive for open discussion. Maybe you could try responding to the post with a clarifying response that outlines why you think NT-like acquaintances are important (and what constitutes "NT-like"), and ask if people agree/disagree with your reasoning?

'NT-Like' can be High Functioning Autism (HFA). A good description can be HFAs who have pretty-much acclimated to an NT-world, and have had (and may retain) some experiences, limitations common with HFA esp. with social skills & friendships.

Hence, difficulties in becoming acquainted with trusted people would become apparent when forms ask, 'who's name(s) do we include on health, and medical forms asking, 'who to contact in case of emergency?'' The names of trusted relatives, and parents friends are sufficient; even if they live a distance away. Yet, I sense progress is necessary in becoming acquainted with trustworthy people who live close-by.

In "a nutshell," I'm asking, "anybody experienced with the above mentioned concerns?" "What are/were struggles, successes??"