7 Capitol Police officers sue Trump, others

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 5:26 pm

Politico

Quote:
Seven veteran Capitol Police officers who defended Congress during the Jan. 6 attack are suing former President Donald Trump, pro-Trump militias and other associates, claiming they conspired to violently overturn the results of the 2020 election.

Also named as defendants in the suit, which seeks an unspecified amount of damages: the Trump campaign, longtime Trump adviser Roger Stone, a group called Stop the Steal that helped organize the rally Trump addressed on Jan. 6, more than a dozen individuals facing criminal charges related to the riot and several organizations whose members were allegedly involved, such as the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys.

Lawyers for the officers pressing the newly filed suit asked that it be assigned to Judge Amit Mehta, an Obama appointee already handling the other riot-related civil cases.

Legal experts have said that cases against people actually accused of violence on Jan. 6 are likely to have traction. However, the claims against Trump, Giuliani and others face an uphill battle in court due to broad First Amendment protections accorded to speech on political topics.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 6:54 pm

Good. I wish them all the best of luck.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 7:12 pm

The problem is that if they are successful, consider this. Who in their right mind would ever want to risk being the president in the future ever again because Biden could easily be sued. Obama, Nixon, Bush... Name a president which was so perfect that they made no mistakes either big or small?

And what if what Trump said was actually found to be true? What then? Who would sue whom? It all gets a little crazy.

One thing for sure to prevent issues in the future, your country needs to abandon voting by electronic means and go back to the paper system, as the paper system can be checked at a later date while electronic voting is open to voting fraud. It is why it should never be used. It does not mean that there is fraud. But the possibility in how easily it can be used in fraud means that it is not good to use it. Stick to tried and tested paper voting.
Paper voting means that any candidate who is not happy can have the votes recounted. Electronic voting is risky because your system relies on one company who are not answerable to anyone to count the votes. So your system can be easily corrupted as you have no security backup.
So regardless of who challenges the results, one needs to go back to the paper system so one has proof that the voting results are accurate.

And yes. Even with paper voting fraud can happen (And I know from my local area that it does happen), but it is harder to cover the traces and if an enquiry is launched, the paper voting will show up any irregularities.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 1:25 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
The problem is that if they are successful, consider this. Who in their right mind would ever want to risk being the president in the future ever again because Biden could easily be sued. Obama, Nixon, Bush... Name a president which was so perfect that they made no mistakes either big or small?

And what if what Trump said was actually found to be true? What then? Who would sue whom? It all gets a little crazy.

One thing for sure to prevent issues in the future, your country needs to abandon voting by electronic means and go back to the paper system, as the paper system can be checked at a later date while electronic voting is open to voting fraud. It is why it should never be used. It does not mean that there is fraud. But the possibility in how easily it can be used in fraud means that it is not good to use it. Stick to tried and tested paper voting.
Paper voting means that any candidate who is not happy can have the votes recounted. Electronic voting is risky because your system relies on one company who are not answerable to anyone to count the votes. So your system can be easily corrupted as you have no security backup.
So regardless of who challenges the results, one needs to go back to the paper system so one has proof that the voting results are accurate.

And yes. Even with paper voting fraud can happen (And I know from my local area that it does happen), but it is harder to cover the traces and if an enquiry is launched, the paper voting will show up any irregularities.

I actually agree with you about paper ballots.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 4:14 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

The vast majority of electronic machines work in conjunction with paper ballots. When an election is close, the paper is recounted by hand. This was done in many counties in the last election, and the hand results were never materially different from the electronic ones. I am not aware of any locations that rely solely on electronic, and certainly none of disputed districts did. One of the many realities those who wanted to sow doubt about the election results choose to simply never mention.