Is it weird that I get angry with people who tell me jokes?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2021, 10:59 pm

I was telling my friend that I would like to get a job and I know there are a lack of jobs due to covid and other reasons. She told me that she doesn't really like her job and she made a joke saying I could have her job. What she said made me kinda upset and my Dad made another unrelated joke and I yelled at him when he did that (I don't remember what he said, I just know my Dad's joke and my friends joke bugged me. Is it weird that I get angry with people who tell me jokes? And do any of you get angry when people tell jokes?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 2:48 am

Yes. And no.

Yes its weird, and no I dont get angry when people tell jokes.

Jokes as such. Like what you're talking about.

Some folks get offended by certain jokes because the joke is racist, or sexist, or like that. But thats not what you're talking about.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 3:01 am

It depends. I am usually good with jokes, but sometimes people tell jokes at the wrong time, like when you're trying to be serious about something.
Like the other day at work I was telling the supervisor that the woman I work with has her music too loud on her phone and that if she's not aware of what's going on around her she could easily be knocked over by one of the buses. But because most people don't like this woman, the supervisor joked, "well if we do knock her down then so be it!" But that wasn't really the response I wanted, because whether you like someone or not it's still a very serious matter if that person got hurt or killed in the workplace, and it won't be funny.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 6:41 am

Joe90 wrote:
It depends. I am usually good with jokes, but sometimes people tell jokes at the wrong time, like when you're trying to be serious about something.
Like the other day at work I was telling the supervisor that the woman I work with has her music too loud on her phone and that if she's not aware of what's going on around her she could easily be knocked over by one of the buses. But because most people don't like this woman, the supervisor joked, "well if we do knock her down then so be it!" But that wasn't really the response I wanted, because whether you like someone or not it's still a very serious matter if that person got hurt or killed in the workplace, and it won't be funny.

Yes. If you feel that the person you are addressing is not taking you and your concerns seriously then that can understandibly piss you off. In that case the "joking" is the symptom, and not the disease so to speak.