Judge says DeSantis can’t ban mask mandates

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 3:25 pm

Florida Judge Throws Out Gov. Ron DeSantis' Order Prohibiting Masks In Schools

Quote:
A Florida judge has ruled that school districts in the state can require students to wear masks. At least 10 school districts — including some in many of the largest cities — had been defying state rules set by Gov. Ron DeSantis banning mask mandates.

Judge John Cooper ruled on a lawsuit brought by parents who say DeSantis overstepped his authority when his administration said school districts couldn't order students to wear masks. DeSantis had warned that "there will be consequences" for districts that defied the ban.

Ruling from the bench at the conclusion of a five-day trial, Cooper said that face mask mandates that follow guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are "reasonable and consistent with the best scientific and medical opinion in this country." He found that the DeSantis administration violated the law when it banned school districts from requiring masks.

Cooper said that in issuing the executive order and rules banning face mask mandates, DeSantis ignored a provision of the law that said school districts are allowed to take actions that are "reasonable and necessary to achieve a compelling state interest."

The judge said he would issue an injunction preventing the DeSantis administration from taking any action against school districts with face mask mandates.

Noting that the coronavirus — and particularly the delta variant — is highly contagious and sometimes fatal to children, Cooper urged people to take a step back, "We will not solve any issue if we can't sit down and work together and take positions recognizing what's going on is not some recent imposition or some attack on the country."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 4:00 pm

Occasionally the good guys win. :)

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 4:16 pm

I don't think anyone should be able to ban schools having mask mandates, so I'm glad this was struck down. School districts have their own rights, and if a school district is having a particularly bad issue with COVID cases then they should be able to require students and staff to wear masks, so that everyone can continue to attend instead of getting sick and staying home + getting other people sick who will also have to stay home. If I was still in school I would prefer wearing a piece of cloth over getting behind in my learning and making other kids get behind.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 6:13 pm

What gets me is that last year when the states and federal governments were setting up mandates, these were the same people who said it should be up to the local governments. Apparently that only applies if the local governments are going to do what you want them to do.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 7:27 pm

Now, if only we could get idiots to stop taking horse dewormer!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 4:12 am

Nobody rushing here to defend De Santis :lol:

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 4:20 am

DeSantis is right ... schools should offer an opt-out choice.

It's inhumane to force someone to wear a mask all day // 40-50 hours a week.

Hopefully, DeSantis wins on appeal, or Republican simply change the law that this judge relied on.

Be the hero of your life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 4:24 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

It's inhumane to force someone to wear a mask all day.

Hopefully, DeSantis wins on appeal, or Republican simply change the law that this judge relied on.

Given 20% of our delta infections are in school kids, De Santis is sounding like a crackpot.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 4:24 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

It's not inhumane when not wearing a mask could cause someone else to contract the virus, get sick, or maybe even die. It's just a piece of cloth on your mouth and nose, for God's sake!

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 4:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
Given 20% of our delta infections are in school kids, De Santis is sounding like a crackpot.

If that's the case, then the schools should admit they're not safe, and shutdown.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 4:26 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

If that's the case, then the schools should admit they're not safe, and shutdown.

I thought the US is against lockdowns?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 4:27 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

It's not inhumane when not wearing a mask could cause someone else to contract the virus, get sick, or maybe even die. It's just a piece of cloth on your mouth and nose, for God's sake!

If you had ever wore a mask all day, your response here would be describe how easy it was for you.

However, you didn't.

So, likely, you haven't even spent one day in a mask, but have no problem pushing it onto others to suffer.

Last edited by TheRobotLives on 29 Aug 2021, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 4:30 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

If you had ever wore a mask all day, your response here would be describe how easy it was for you.

However, you didn't.

So, likely, you haven't even spent one day a mask, but have no problem pushing it onto others to suffer.

I have and so does my daughter. We don't complain or whinge.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 4:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
I have and so does my daughter. We don't complain or whinge.

What are you opinions regarding breathing recycled air all day?

Do you not find it harder to breath?

To me, it seems like masks simulate having asthma, making it harder to breath, and taking in less oxygen per breath, so a person's breathing pattern is affected, requiring more breaths.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 5:16 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

However, you didn't.

So, likely, you haven't even spent one day in a mask, but have no problem pushing it onto others to suffer.

Again, it's a piece of cloth! Nobody's telling kids to wear a steel box on their heads. And as uncomfortable as wearing a mask might be, it's a good sight better than ending up in the hospital, or even dying.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 5:41 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

It's inhumane to force kids to go to school with potentially infected children and teachers who refuse to wear masks. The majority of schools here in the South are also simultaneously not allowing virtual options, leaving those who are immunocompromised or unable to get vaccinated (due to age, allergies, etc) in a really terrible situation.

I, personally, think that all schools should be going virtual at this point. Southern communities are currently declaring states of emergency as our hospitals are over capacity, ambulances have such long queues for hospitals that they are unable to pick up new patients, mobile morgues are being implemented, and students are being sent home sick in droves. Since schools have been reopened (without mask mandates or any other safety protocols in place), the strain on our medical facilities and communities has exponentially increased.

Wearing a mask for 40-50 hours a week IS possible. My young 2 autistic nephews and ADHD niece are proof of it. (Edit: My elder ADHD sister is also a teacher in one of these schools and is witnessing the chaos firsthand.) They are all proud to do their part, even if it is uncomfortable. And so am I.