Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 3:35 pm

Educate yourself.

Everybody has mood swings but that doesn't mean bipolar disorder doesn't exist.

Anybody can be clumsy and everybody gets muddled up with their right and left sometimes but that doesn't mean dyspraxia doesn't exist.

Everybody forgets things sometimes but that doesn't mean dementia doesn't exist.

So same with ADHD. It's not to be confused with an extroverted, disorganised person. Some people with ADHD can actually be introverted and even organised in their own way, or a disorganised person with ADHD may be disorganised in different ways to what a disorganised NT is.

So those of you who believe ADHD isn't a disorder, just stop. Think about those who do actually suffer with ADHD. It exists.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 3:46 pm

Having ADHD is very exhausting. My brain gets understimulated very easily and screams at me to change tasks very often, like I've been doing something I just started for days straight, even when I don't want to due to autism and restricted activities. It's also very hard to keep my thoughts on track and I can't stay on topic very well when talking to people. It's a lot more than being disorganized and choosing to not pay attention to things, and I wish people understood that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 5:17 pm

ADHD is serious business. I finally started meds last year after going my whole life undiagnosed. My daughter is currently in the middle of a two-month comprehensive clinical assessment, so the topic is hot on my mind. I have to complete some surveys about her childhood this weekend, and email them back with a secure link. The questions make me realise how obvious it's been her whole life, but also how normalised it became since I have ADHD myself. I had nothing to compare her against, and I suppose nothing to compare myself against, because of living with her. I guess I thought our behaviours were normal, but they most decidedly are not.

I haven't heard of anyone thinking it doesn't exist, but I know it's hard for adults to be diagnosed without a neuropsychiatrist and a very lengthy process of psychometric tests. I hope anyone who thinks they might be ADHD will at least inquire about how to be diagnosed, or join a support community so they'll understand its effects on our lives in every way from physical health to self-esteem, life goals, and interpersonal relationships.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 5:20 pm

Quote:
It's a lot more than being disorganized and choosing to not pay attention to things

Exactly. Although I'm not officially diagnosed, I know I definitely have ADHD and it comes with all sorts of issues. I have trouble reading most of the time because I find it hard to stay focused. I don't think many people without ADHD have that issue, and I have trouble with staying hyperfocused even on my hobbies.