Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

28 Aug 2021, 1:29 am

This has been bothering me and making me upset for a while, why do we always have social problems with family and other people? I consider myself a ''little eccentric'' or a ''oddball'' as well as keep to myself but why does my father and other people have to bring me down and say I wonder if you are from planet earth, the minute I am not social and focused on my dog and other interest not interested in what the rest of my family is doing something is wrong with me?

timf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 6:04 am

There was a time when idiosyncrasies were more acceptable. However, when society reins higher in people's live than family, individual differences are less tolerable.

The word "idiot" has its origins in Greece. It was originally used to describe someone who neglected his civic (social) responsibilities and might have been more considered "selfish". Over time the word came to mean someone who was unable to do what others expected of him because of limited abilities.

Historically family life was one where one could expect greater tolerance for individual differences. However since the industrial revolution families have become damaged to the point where they are often even less tolerant than the larger social world.

Making fun of someone who is different for the sake of amusement is a sad reflection of deficient character. Sometimes this sort of behavior can be limited by responses like, "Did you mean to say something that hurtful", or "what else do you hate about me". This sort of verbal "hand slapping" might teach someone to back off a little, however, setting boundaries can also backfire and build resentment.

It might be better to invest in finding people who can not only tolerate your unique characteristics, but actually appreciate them.