Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Outlaw0807
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Aug 2021, 9:42 pm

I personally have always enjoyed the idea of hunting, especially for invasive species like feral hogs or lionfish. There's something about working for my own food that excites me. How does the idea of hunting make you feel?

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 11:20 pm

I'm not against it as long as the people hunting are actually making use of what they kill for food etc and they arent killing any endangered animals.

♤ The Military

enz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 11:29 pm

If it’s an invasive species go for it

If it’s for food, an animal in the wild has a far better life than in a factory farm

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 12:02 am

Interesting.
It might be something I'd do and willfully learn.

Not the whole act of survival lifestyle, never as a sport, nor entirely done out of necessity nor profit that appeals me.
I'd only do those things as last resort.

Only the skills associated with hunting and the act of hunting itself -- tracking, capturing, knowing how to use which parts is which for...

I'd do it for fun and education than survival and it's whole point. But the option is open for me to take if there is such opportunity.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 5:32 am

I'd like to learn how to hunt, but I don't know anyone who hunts so I have no idea how to go about figuring that out.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Aug 2021, 6:10 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
I'm not against it as long as the people hunting are actually making use of what they kill for food etc and they arent killing any endangered animals.
I have mixed feelings but this is the short answer that I'm leaning towards. I'm also mostly OK with killing animals if they pose a danger or threat, think pest control & killing ants, wasps, spiders, mosquitoes, or a if ret*d mockingbird made a nest in your backyard & swooped down & nearly attacked your dog's eyes for getting near it's nest(I seen that with my dog). I went fishing a bit as a kid which I know is not really hunting persay but it is a sport that involves potentially harming an animal. We always kept the fish to eat or give to others to eat if they were big enough & we were not in violation of a limit.

I do have a problem with trophy hunting just so you can have an animal stuffed or have it's head hanging on your wall. Or if you just want to kill an animal for the sake of killing it like some kinda right of passage or bragging rights & you want nothing to do with the animal otherwise & would just leave it there. I have a problem with people using hunting as an excuse to blast very powerful guns like assault rifles or bazooka like things that basically obliterate the animal, we are NOT living in Jurassic Park after all so those weapons are extreme overkill. I have a problem with people intentionally killing others pets like a horrible neighbor threatening to shoot someone's dog because it barks too much or someone leaving out antifreeze for cats to drink because the person is tired of the cats messing up their gardens & scratching their car by walking on it. Some people are horrible people who are much more like wild animals than the poor animals that they harm.

I just thought to add that I do have a BB co2 pistol & a pellet pistol for a little bit of target practice. I haven't used those guns in a long time since I moved out of my parents. I'm living in an appartment so there is not really a place to shoot em so they are picked up somewhere in my closet at my parents. I never shot an animal though. I also do NOT have the best vision or motor skills so actual hunting could be dangerous for me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 29 Aug 2021, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 6:18 pm

Hunting for food is fine and I'd potentially do it, if I wouldn't be traumatized from killing + having to field dress and butcher an animal. I'm sheltered enough and have enough empathy for animals that I'd feel like a literal serial killer. lol

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 7:23 pm

I used to have a freezer full of venison every year.It was healthier meat than store bought ( and cheaper)and the animals had a life.
Now all the deer here have chronic wasting disease and I wouldn’t eat one if you paid me.
The deer were overpopulated and it spread.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 9:20 pm

Outlaw0807 wrote:
I personally have always enjoyed the idea of hunting, especially for invasive species like feral hogs or lionfish. There's something about working for my own food that excites me. How does the idea of hunting make you feel?

I absolutley love hunting.I think humanely shooting wild animals for the purpose of fun and trophy hunting is awesome.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 10:51 pm

nick007 wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
I have mixed feelings but this is the short answer that I'm leaning towards. I'm also mostly OK with killing animals if they pose a danger or threat, think pest control & killing ants, wasps, spiders, mosquitoes, or a if ret*d mockingbird made a nest in your backyard & swooped down & nearly attacked your dog's eyes for getting near it's nest(I seen that with my dog). I went fishing a bit as a kid which I know is not really hunting persay but it is a sport that involves potentially harming an animal. We always kept the fish to eat or give to others to eat if they were big enough & we were not in violation of a limit.

I do have a problem with trophy hunting just so you can have an animal stuffed or have it's head hanging on your wall. Or if you just want to kill an animal for the sake of killing it like some kinda right of passage or bragging rights & you want nothing to do with the animal otherwise & would just leave it there. I have a problem with people using hunting as an excuse to blast very powerful guns like assault rifles or bazooka like things that basically obliterate the animal, we are NOT living in Jurassic Park after all so those weapons are extreme overkill. I have a problem with people intentionally killing others pets like a horrible neighbor threatening to shoot someone's dog because it barks too much or someone leaving out antifreeze for cats to drink because the person is tired of the cats messing up their gardens & scratching their car by walking on it. Some people are horrible people who are much more like wild animals than the poor animals that they harm.

I just thought to add that I do have a BB co2 pistol & a pellet pistol for a little bit of target practice. I haven't used those guns in a long time since I moved out of my parents. I'm living in an appartment so there is not really a place to shoot em so they are picked up somewhere in my closet at my parents. I never shot an animal though. I also do NOT have the best vision or motor skills so actual hunting could be dangerous for me.

Assault rifles are generally illegal in a lot of the US.The typical average person cant afford one.What is a true assault rifle?Assault rifles were invented to be way less powerful than standard military roudns like the 30-06 or 7.92x57mm mauser.The 5.56 Nato is very weak for deer.It is illegal to shoot deer with military ammo in Texas.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 2:19 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Outlaw0807 wrote:

I absolutley love hunting.I think humanely shooting wild animals for the purpose of fun and trophy hunting is awesome.

still better than an animal being factory farmed I guees

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 2:36 am

I mean I feel like it may not be a bad skill to learn...I don't really like the idea of killing animals, but well if I am aiming right and going to make a quick kill and I will use the meat I think I could do it. But yeah mostly I'd want to have my aiming on point as I would not just want to maim an animal and have them suffer a lot...I'd prefer to for sure get like a quick clean shot.

I did practice a bit of shooting with a 22 I think it was, with some of my cousins but from what I have heard some like more powerful guns may have more of a push back and things that may make it a bit harder to really get the shot you want. But with that 22 at least on my first try I was able to shoot a bunch of Christmas lights my cousins strung up in the trees to shoot I had never shot a gun before that either so I was also kind of suprised at how many I got with having never tried shooting before. So Like I think I could shoot and aim, its more I suppose not sure if I could really shoot an animal...but I guess I have gone fishing before and killed fish...but idk.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 3:13 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean I feel like it may not be a bad skill to learn...I don't really like the idea of killing animals, but well if I am aiming right and going to make a quick kill and I will use the meat I think I could do it. But yeah mostly I'd want to have my aiming on point as I would not just want to maim an animal and have them suffer a lot...I'd prefer to for sure get like a quick clean shot.

I did practice a bit of shooting with a 22 I think it was, with some of my cousins but from what I have heard some like more powerful guns may have more of a push back and things that may make it a bit harder to really get the shot you want. But with that 22 at least on my first try I was able to shoot a bunch of Christmas lights my cousins strung up in the trees to shoot I had never shot a gun before that either so I was also kind of suprised at how many I got with having never tried shooting before. So Like I think I could shoot and aim, its more I suppose not sure if I could really shoot an animal...but I guess I have gone fishing before and killed fish...but idk.

Ya its actually interesting because the more powerful rifles that are known as magnums in industry parlance that are marketed as being the best for hunting are actually some of the most lousy because of the recoil.I guess the big hunters think that they defy the laws of physics and they dont take into true account of "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

The typical grown man can not handle a real powerful hunting rifle accurately.I am against taking long shots for ethical reasons because I dont want to make a animal suffer in vain only to die a bad death.Also i think its best to practice the best gun safety rules if you want to get into hunting.I kind of looked at hunting as vocational training because my plan was to go into the military as my grandfather had.I always had that in mind.I think its a important hobby to teach young kids so our nation can be prepared for national secuiry all under the best adult supervision.But i must admit it can be really scary teaching a kid how to hunt with a gun even with a .22.Also a family friend said that i you want to be good at shooting a rifle for deer hunting squeeze the trigger and let the blast suprise u.thats the key to shooting a rifle accurately.I say that as someone who has been doing it for decades.Also a basic knowledge of anatomy is absolutlely required to be a good hunter.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 3:16 am

enz wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Outlaw0807 wrote:

still better than an animal being factory farmed I guees

Ya i agree.I used to be skeptical of the plight of factory farmed animals but then i listened to temple grandin and someone in the news story said something like cattle may have the sensory issues similar to us.I guess it makes sense because a lot of animal have way better senses than we do.I also use my venison to feed my family and i want to feed the poor with it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 3:24 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Ya its actually interesting because the more powerful rifles that are known as magnums in industry parlance that are marketed as being the best for hunting are actually some of the most lousy because of the recoil.I guess the big hunters think that they defy the laws of physics and they dont take into true account of "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

The typical grown man can not handle a real powerful hunting rifle accurately.I am against taking long shots for ethical reasons because I dont want to make a animal suffer in vain only to die a bad death.Also i think its best to practice the best gun safety rules if you want to get into hunting.I kind of looked at hunting as vocational training because my plan was to go into the military as my grandfather had.I always had that in mind.I think its a important hobby to teach young kids so our nation can be prepared for national secuiry all under the best adult supervision.But i must admit it can be really scary teaching a kid how to hunt with a gun even with a .22.Also a family friend said that i you want to be good at shooting a rifle for deer hunting squeeze the trigger and let the blast suprise u.thats the key to shooting a rifle accurately.I say that as someone who has been doing it for decades.Also a basic knowledge of anatomy is absolutlely required to be a good hunter.

Yeah if I was going to hunt, I would prefer to look at some of the anatomy and stuff so I could figure where to aim so the animal suffers minimally. Cause yeah I don't want a case of like I shoot a deer and it just runs off all maimed to die of starvation in the forest like if I have to kill an animal for food I prefer it can be done quickly without too much suffering.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 6:38 am

I'm fine with it as long as it's done legally (legal hunting grounds, legal target, legal methods etc.) and the hunted animal is actually used for it's meat and such, not just used as a trophy. Taking both the meat and using the animal's head as a trophy or something is fine though. I also think that people should study the anatomy of the animals they target at least a little so that they'll know where to aim so that the animal will suffer the least. Of course, mistakes can still happen, but this would lessen it.

Personally, I could join a hunting party and help to gut the animal (I think I'd be bothered by it at first, but I could probably get used to it), but I don't want to pull the trigger. Not because I don't want to be the one to kill, but because I think that someone as clumsy as me should not hold a gun in an uncontrolled environment. I could try shooting at a shooting range with a professional guiding me, but in a forest? Nuh-uh.