Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 1:54 pm

I keep meaning to get into it, even built a lightweight .300 BLK rig for the purpose since deer hunting in Washington is usually short range affair, but between the regulatory hoops and finding land to hunt on I just haven't taken the plunge. I'm actually pretty confident in my field dressing skills, I did a lot of butchery at one of my restaurant jobs, breaking down whole hogs and lambs, and it's doesn't seem super complicated from the books and videos I've studied on the process. I do wish hogs were an option up here, I like the idea of a no limit species you can hunt anytime and anywhere, and I know what to do with pig meat very well.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 2:10 pm

Be sure to bleed it, remove the scent glands , don’t cut into the gut ,after that it’s not hard to butcher out a deer.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 5:25 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Be sure to bleed it, remove the scent glands , don’t cut into the gut ,after that it’s not hard to butcher out a deer.

That was always the impression I got, tie off the bung, be careful cutting into the belly, remove the glands, it's not rocket science. I've broken down enough whole lambs and goats too, and they're pretty similar to deer in body structure and musculature, the deer are probably a lot leaner though.