Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2021, 12:07 am

Hello, I want ask, if someone has same problem or how name it. For me is hard searching if something isn't in place, where i expect it.
In the book The World Beyond My Shadow from Daniela Schreiter, she describe, how focus on details help her with searching items. I think I notice a lot of details, but I have problems with searching.

I would compare it to face blindless. Everyone sometimes don't recognize some face, but it's still happening to me. I know this has name prosopagnosia. But how name problem with searching? It is same. Often my husband have to help me something find, because i don't see it even though it's right in front of me. It's enough for the thing to be moved a little differently than I expect. Has this kind of "blidness" a name? Is it common in ASD?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 12:53 am

Basically something about encountering the item out of context causes you to fail to recognize it?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2021, 12:59 am

I search often something. For example butter in the fridge. If it is higher or lower than I expect, I dont see it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 1:02 am

Nira wrote:
I search often something. For example butter in the fridge. If it is higher or lower than I expect, I dont see it.

That's what I mean by out of context; if the butter isn't in the place butter goes you don't recognize it, or at least take longer to positively recognize it.

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2021, 1:29 am

Yes, is this common in ASD?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 4:09 am

Ah. I get both faceblindness and I tend to get issues with not seeing things in front of me. Like my Mum would say that the item is in the cupboard. I will have the cupboard doors open and say "Where?"
My Mum would come and look and say "There!" where it would be right in front of me all along!

It is why I don't like doing jigsaws and things like that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 2:02 pm

Nira wrote:
Yes, is this common in ASD?

I deal with it sometimes. It's frustrating. I'm not sure how widespread it is but hopefully more people chime in.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2021, 9:40 am

I have this problem a lot if its my tools ok but any thing else my wife has to help me.I can get very upset and meltdown could result.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 9:45 am

Setting an item down in a random location is a good way to lose it.  I have designated locations for things like glasses, shoes, tools, et cetera -- a place for everything and everything in its place.  For example, If my glasses are not on my face, they are in my shirt pocket, on the center console in my truck, beside the bathroom sink, or on the nightstand.

Some people have compared my near-obsessive need for "everything in its place" to that of Adrian Monk; but at least I know where my glasses are.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 9:59 am

I lose things quite a lot. Not sure if it's to the extreme you are talking about though. It gets to the point where I know that I'm probably looking right at it but I just can't see it.

I actually put my problem down to adhd because I'll be busy on one project and put down my tools and move straight to doing something different and then I instantly forget where I've just put a measuring stick or a screw driver. I can have the whole house upside down to look for them and my daughter comes along and finds it straight away. It's kind of funny because it can happen about ten times a day with the same tools and I've learned to have a sense of humour about it but it can get frustrating as well.

I agree with Fnord as well. You need to try and make sure to have a place for everything.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 4:48 am

My best friend, NT, recently lost his wallet while trying to move away, as he had planned to for decades. It was in a fairly obvious location, but he had missed it while searching very thoroughly, because he was upset and distracted by all the other things he was trying to remember for the trip. He didn't find it until he decided to stay around. My NT GF once made us late because her car keys were in the refrigerator and we had not been looking there.
I sometimes have problems seeing something if it is upside down from how I am visualizing it. My rule of thumb is to stop searching for an item after ten minutes, and start doing general tidy-up until it appears.
This can even work the other way. A local landmark burned down, and my NT friend kept "seeing" it in his peripheral vision from memory until I told him to really look.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 5:20 am

I have the same problem. I try to have places for each important item, keys, wallet, medications, etc. but sometimes if I am busy or thinking about something else I’ll set my phone down in an unusual place. Then I panic. I don’t see the item even if it is in front of me.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 9:45 am

I very much agree with: A place for everything, and everything in its place.

If something isn't where it is supposed to be then it is often as good as invisible. It is very inefficient to have to search for things like that.

My bride is ADHD. This is an area where we definitely have differences.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 9:45 pm

Could be a mild visual agnosia. Or an attentional issue - eg difficulty shifting attention, or difficulty with vigilance. Searching requires many repeated attentional shifts in succession. Vigilance would be like the continuous performance task, one of the diagnostic tests for ADHD, and would be relevant whenever you're doing a prolonged attentional task.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 3:24 am

I have this problem so often it drives me bats&^*t crazy. Seriously, this is probably the biggest problem in my life. It's bad enough sometimes that when there are ten items that probably contain the thing I'm looking for, I have to pick each of them up, one at a time, and examine it, name it, tell myself it's not the <name it> thing I'm looking for, and set it aside, then pick up the next item and examine it, name it, tell myself it's not the thing I'm looking for, ...