6 Children reported killed in air-strike

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 7:24 pm

Quote:
The United States carried out a defensive airstrike in the Afghan capital, Kabul, targeting a suspected ISIS-K suicide bomber who posed an "imminent" threat to the airport, US Central Command said Sunday.

The US military acknowledged later Sunday that there are reports of civilian casualties following the strike. "We know that there were substantial and powerful subsequent explosions resulting from the destruction of the vehicle, indicating a large amount of explosive material inside that may have caused additional casualties. It is unclear what may have happened, and we are investigating further," Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for US Central Command, said in a statement.

"We would be deeply saddened by any potential loss of innocent life," he added.

The statement followed CNN's reporting that nine members of one family, including six children, were killed in the drone strike, according to a brother of one of those killed, who spoke to a local journalist working with CNN. US Central Command said earlier they were assessing the possibility of civilian casualties.

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/29/asia/afghanistan-kabul-evacuation-intl/index.html

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 9:36 pm

i watched some of the Manning leaks of drone strikes, with the drone pilots' voice communication recorded.

if a drone strike kills a child, that child is then callef a "fun-sized terrorist".

<sarcasm>

so, six fun-sized terrorists were killed in a drone strike. I guess America must be winning.
I mean, how many terrorist can there be?

</sarcasm>

sorry, but I don't really know how to deal with this, emotionally. it's just the culmination of a 20 year long clusterf**k the american empire engaged in for the purpose of demonstrating its power, with no defined win-condition.
I guess, great times for investors in Halliburton.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 9:40 pm

Used to I would feel horrified and disgusted over such a thing being done. Now I just feel emptiness... I mean what exactly can anybody who actually gives a s**t do about this sort of thing? :shrug:

♤ The Military

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 2:25 am

King0fSpades wrote:
Used to I would feel horrified and disgusted over such a thing being done. Now I just feel emptiness... I mean what exactly can anybody who actually gives a s**t do about this sort of thing? :shrug:

That is where I end up a lot of times at the end of the day...it is like yeah I feel for it, like yeah can't help it just can't get it out of my head that I feel bad about the women in afganistan with all the crap that has happened there, I get to walk around in shorts and a skimpy shirt and women there are probably being forced back into wearing tent robes over themselves over there...and it's hard not to feel bad about that I guess.

But at the end of the day, what can I do about it? well about as much as I can do about the plastic problem which is largely nothing.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 3:03 am

America is back?

On a more serious note, I thought that the Pentagon had commissioned some purely kinetic munitions to avoid this exact situation, I'd be curious to know why they weren't used here.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 7:03 am

King0fSpades wrote:

I have no desire to get emotionally involved these days.
I am not unsympathetic.
It is simply irrational to embrace the pain.
This is life.
People have to toughen up sometime. 8)

BTW, I predicted the missile retribution.
It was a no brainer, though.
It's impressive how they got the intel so fast.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 7:11 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

That is where I end up a lot of times at the end of the day...it is like yeah I feel for it, like yeah can't help it just can't get it out of my head that I feel bad about the women in afganistan with all the crap that has happened there, I get to walk around in shorts and a skimpy shirt and women there are probably being forced back into wearing tent robes over themselves over there...and it's hard not to feel bad about that I guess.

But at the end of the day, what can I do about it? well about as much as I can do about the plastic problem which is largely nothing.

Precisely.
I guess we are embracing the serenity prayer.

Quote:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 7:12 am

King0fSpades wrote:

Good lord, we have a hat trick. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 7:14 am

shlaifu wrote:
i watched some of the Manning leaks of drone strikes, with the drone pilots' voice communication recorded.

if a drone strike kills a child, that child is then callef a "fun-sized terrorist".

<sarcasm>

so, six fun-sized terrorists were killed in a drone strike. I guess America must be winning.
I mean, how many terrorist can there be?

</sarcasm>

sorry, but I don't really know how to deal with this, emotionally. it's just the culmination of a 20 year long clusterf**k the american empire engaged in for the purpose of demonstrating its power, with no defined win-condition.
I guess, great times for investors in Halliburton.

Assuming the reports are correct, the Amerians saved the lives of *hundreds* of other people.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 7:17 am

L.A. Times now reporting 10 were killed, including 7 children:

Quote:
After a day at work, Ezmari Ahmadi was just arriving at his home Sunday in Khwaja Burgha, a working-class neighborhood a few miles west of Kabul’s airport, when calamity struck.

As he pulled into the driveway about 4:30 p.m., children — his own as well as those of his brothers and other relatives — swarmed around Ahmadi’s Toyota Corolla. His 12-year-old son, Farzad, asked if he could park the car. Ahmadi obliged, put Farzad in the driver’s seat and switched to the passenger side.

That’s when what the family says was an American missile fired moments before from a drone buzzing nearby drilled through the car, slammed into the ground below and detonated.

In an instant, 10 people were killed, including no fewer than seven children, Ahmadi’s brother Emal said Monday. Among the dead were Ahmadi, 40, who the family said worked for a Southern California-based charity; a 25-year-old nephew who was about to be married; and five kids who were 5 years old or younger.

Source: https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2021-08-30/family-says-several-children-killed-us-missile-strike-kabul

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 10:39 pm

Brictoria wrote:
L.A. Times now reporting 10 were killed, including 7 children:
Quote:
After a day at work, Ezmari Ahmadi was just arriving at his home Sunday in Khwaja Burgha, a working-class neighborhood a few miles west of Kabul’s airport, when calamity struck.

As he pulled into the driveway about 4:30 p.m., children — his own as well as those of his brothers and other relatives — swarmed around Ahmadi’s Toyota Corolla. His 12-year-old son, Farzad, asked if he could park the car. Ahmadi obliged, put Farzad in the driver’s seat and switched to the passenger side.

That’s when what the family says was an American missile fired moments before from a drone buzzing nearby drilled through the car, slammed into the ground below and detonated.

In an instant, 10 people were killed, including no fewer than seven children, Ahmadi’s brother Emal said Monday. Among the dead were Ahmadi, 40, who the family said worked for a Southern California-based charity; a 25-year-old nephew who was about to be married; and five kids who were 5 years old or younger.

Source: https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2021-08-30/family-says-several-children-killed-us-missile-strike-kabul

So what is this article saying?
There was no suicide bombing attempt?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 2:07 am

According to the LA times article
U.S. forces, which are due to complete their pullout from Afghanistan on Tuesday, say they launched a drone strike Sunday that destroyed a car loaded with explosives and suicide bombers heading for Kabul’s airport,

I assumed the drone strike was to prevent greater loss of life if the Talis managed to get to the airport?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 1:52 am

Oops...

Quote:
KABUL, Afghanistan — It was the last known missile fired by the United States in its 20-year war in Afghanistan, and the military called it a “righteous strike” — a drone attack after hours of surveillance on Aug. 29 against a vehicle that American officials thought contained an ISIS bomb and posed an imminent threat to troops at Kabul’s airport.

But a New York Times investigation of video evidence, along with interviews with more than a dozen of the driver’s co-workers and family members in Kabul, raises doubts about the U.S. version of events, including whether explosives were present in the vehicle, whether the driver had a connection to ISIS, and whether there was a second explosion after the missile struck the car.

Military officials said they did not know the identity of the car’s driver when the drone fired, but deemed him suspicious because of how they interpreted his activities that day, saying that he possibly visited an ISIS safe house and, at one point, loaded what they thought could be explosives into the car.

Times reporting has identified the driver as Zemari Ahmadi, a longtime worker for a U.S. aid group. The evidence suggests that his travels that day actually involved transporting colleagues to and from work. And an analysis of video feeds showed that what the military may have seen was Mr. Ahmadi and a colleague loading canisters of water into his trunk to bring home to his family.

While the U.S. military said the drone strike might have killed three civilians, Times reporting shows that it killed 10, including seven children, in a dense residential block.

<...>

Since the strike, U.S. military officials justified their actions by citing an even larger blast that took place afterward.

“Because there were secondary explosions, there is a reasonable conclusion to be made that there was explosives in that vehicle,” the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Mark A. Milley, said last week.

But an examination of the scene of the strike, conducted by the Times visual investigations team and a Times reporter the morning afterward, and followed up with a second visit four days later, found no evidence of a second, more powerful explosion.

Experts who examined photos and videos pointed out that, although there was clear evidence of a missile strike and subsequent vehicle fire, there were no collapsed or blown-out walls, no destroyed vegetation, and only one dent in the entrance gate, indicating a single shock wave.

“It seriously questions the credibility of the intelligence or technology utilized to determine this was a legitimate target,” said Chris Cobb-Smith, a British Army veteran and security consultant.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/10/world/asia/us-air-strike-drone-kabul-afghanistan-isis.html

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 3:49 am

According to the BBC there seems to be two sides to the story

On 1 September, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen Mark Milley told journalists an investigation was ongoing, adding that it was "reasonable" to conclude there were secondary explosions, because there was explosive material in the car.
He also said that "at least one" of those killed was from the Islamic State.
"There are others killed. Who are they? We don't know. We'll try to sort through all that... but at this point we think that the procedures were correctly followed."

According to the BBC Video filmed from nearby does show fresh plumes of smoke rising from the site after the initial blast, suggesting several explosions (suggesting secondary explosions).

I assume the burden of proof (last time I checked) is to provide evidence that a US joints chief of staff lied to the press.

The claim the strike was intentional to kill civilians seem to be based on the locals who are (naturally) angry and dispute ISIS was in their area. I'm pretty sure this is no different to Palestinians who claim Israel target civilians and dispute HAMAS operate in their neighborhoods.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 11:13 pm

Quote:
(CNN)A United States military investigation into a deadly Kabul drone strike on a vehicle in August has found it killed 10 civilians and the driver and that the vehicle targeted was likely not a threat associated with ISIS-K, announced Gen. Frank McKenzie, the top general of US Central Command, at the Pentagon on Friday.

McKenzie told reporters that the strike -- which he said killed seven children -- was a "mistake" and offered an apology.

"This strike was taken in the earnest belief that it would prevent an imminent threat to our forces and the evacuees at the airport, but it was a mistake and I offer my sincere apology," he said.

McKenzie added that he is "fully responsible for this strike and this tragic outcome."

The Pentagon's announcement will likely fuel more criticism of the Biden administration's chaotic evacuation of Kabul and handling of the withdrawal from Afghanistan more broadly. While McKenzie stressed Friday that future strikes will likely be held to a higher standard, confirmation of the civilian death toll also provides insight into the obstacles ahead for military and intelligence officials tasked with fulfilling President Joe Biden's promise to make the terror group "pay" for its deadly suicide attack in Kabul.

The Pentagon had maintained that at least one ISIS-K facilitator and three civilians were killed in what Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark Milley had previously called a "righteous strike" on the compound on August 29. The investigation released Friday found that all of those killed in the residential compound were civilians.

In the lead up to the strike, drone operators surveilled the courtyard for up to 4 to 5 minutes. In that time, a male driver left the vehicle. One child was parking the vehicle and other children were present in the car and the courtyard -- as CNN had been told by the Ahmadi family.

<...>

Previously, US Central Command pointed to "significant secondary explosions" as evidence of a "substantial amount of explosive material" in the vehicle. On Friday, the US military source said that after reviewing footage from infra-red sensors, they would no longer characterize this as an explosion -- instead, it was more of a flare up.

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/17/politics/kabul-drone-strike-us-military-intl-hnk/index.html

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 1:08 am

Ahh, the ole Friday afternoon press release strikes again I see.