Strange CNN article on Ketemine may show more medical mayhem

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 7:40 pm

So it seems K is vastly underused for pain and opiate drug detox, but ends up in the hands of police as a weapon?

btw Im far from convinced any of the article is true, but sounds like something fun to look into.

Quote:
By Sara Sidner and Julia Jones, CNN

Updated 7:26 AM ET, Tue September 1, 2020

(CNN)Elijah McKnight admits he was drunk. The 25-year-old says he'd had a fifth of Jim Beam with a buddy before passing out on his way home on a sidewalk just outside Aurora, Colorado. That is where sheriff's deputies found him.
They nudged him awake and the conversation was calm for the first several minutes. Deputies told him they were just checking to see if he was all right. But the encounter ended with McKnight on life support after being injected with a high dose of a drug called ketamine.
"I was out cold for three days on life support," he said. "My family didn't know where I was."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/31/us/ketam ... index.html

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 4:00 am

The_Znof wrote:
So it seems K is vastly underused for pain and opiate drug detox, but ends up in the hands of police as a weapon?

Not the cops, the EMTs use it to sedate uncooperative people. By sheer coincidence my stepbrother is an EMT in Aurora, and we were talking about this when I was visiting him the other week, apparently they have a new policy forbidding this type of use because of the McClain case, and it's causing him trouble at work because they deal with so many mentally ill people that actually need sedation. I actually did a double-take when I saw the location, I had to check the photos to make sure I didn't know anyone in them, lol.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 4:13 am

Dox47 wrote:
The_Znof wrote:

Not the cops, the EMTs use it to sedate uncooperative people. By sheer coincidence my stepbrother is an EMT in Aurora, and we were talking about this when I was visiting him the other week, apparently they have a new policy forbidding this type of use because of the McClain case, and it's causing him trouble at work because they deal with so many mentally ill people that actually need sedation. I actually did a double-take when I saw the location, I had to check the photos to make sure I didn't know anyone in them, lol.

Ketamine is a synthetic dissociative might calm some people but for sure not all for some it would probably just freak them out especially if they are forcefully injected with it when they are already in a state of panic.

And good they have that now, because what happened to McClain was BS...he should not have ever ended up in that situation, the cops could have just let him walk home and he would have got to eat his fast food he'd been going home with and still have a life with his family and friends...but nope he never got to make it home did he?

And if you really have no choice but to sedate someone aren't there sedative drugs that aren't also dissassociatives they could use?

maybe cops convinced them to use ketamine because some people may freak out on it, so they can use that as justification for police brutality.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 6:21 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
The_Znof wrote:

Ketamine is a synthetic dissociative might calm some people but for sure not all for some it would probably just freak them out especially if they are forcefully injected with it when they are already in a state of panic.

And good they have that now, because what happened to McClain was BS...he should not have ever ended up in that situation, the cops could have just let him walk home and he would have got to eat his fast food he'd been going home with and still have a life with his family and friends...but nope he never got to make it home did he?

And if you really have no choice but to sedate someone aren't there sedative drugs that aren't also dissassociatives they could use?

maybe cops convinced them to use ketamine because some people may freak out on it, so they can use that as justification for police brutality.

Ketamine doesn't depress heart rate, which virtually every other sedative does. That's why emergency services have it with them in the first place - it's safe to use on old people and people with heart conditions.
The reason it fell out if favour as a common narcotic for surgery was patients reporting nightmares and such.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 11:53 am

Dox47 wrote:
By sheer coincidence my stepbrother is an EMT in Aurora, and we were talking about this when I was visiting him the other week, apparently they have a new policy forbidding this type of use because of the McClain case, and it's causing him trouble at work because they deal with so many mentally ill people that actually need sedation. I actually did a double-take when I saw the location, I had to check the photos to make sure I didn't know anyone in them, lol.

Very strange, what a rabbit hole..

I wonder if Canadian EMTs use it too.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 4:19 pm

Shocker - Now sounds like CNN article in OP has gone full rabbit, and it may have been the police who killed Elijah when they struggled to subdue him, not the Ketamine.

Here is a video from a youtube channel for [preppers.] :jester:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj4eBa7z03U

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:09 pm

CNN - Fake News

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:50 pm

this is beyond "fake news"

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 6:55 pm

You're going to YouTube to challenge CNN? Isn't that a lot of pot calling kettle black?

Not to say I trust CNN. But it feels like we're absent reliable data here.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:06 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
You're going to YouTube to challenge CNN? Isn't that a lot of pot calling kettle black?

what did the youtube vid get wrong?,,, ie nothing?

im going to lose my f*****g mind here

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 2:00 am

DW_a_mom wrote:

sorry for my first attempt at reply, when I posted the OP I was actually taking CNN at face value, but then Dox47 gave a different take which made the CNN article very questionable.

I found a vid that elaborated on what dox47 said here and seemed well done so I posted it.

I still think the vid is well done, and it is not out of the blue but says the same thing a member said in the first reply, so I got all frusterated when you just saw me as posting a youtube vid. Nobody even reads basic stuff anymore, straight to the fact checkers at best.