Page 1 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 9:23 am

My wife of 23 years and I are separating. It's been a few years coming, but it still hurts. A lot. I'm moving into my own place this coming weekend, and I'm worried about being alone. I'm an alcoholic, and I had 22+ years of sobriety under my belt until 2 Friday's ago when I got good and loaded. I've been sober since then though. I have very few friends, although I have met a few potential friends recently at AA meetings. I'm mostly wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can keep from isolating...to meet new people. FYI I really have no special interests...maybe someone has an idea or two? I basically just wanted to create a space for me to air my feelings...

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 6:47 am

I'm moving this coming Friday. I'm very concerned that being all alone will lead me to drinking. I don't want to drink...I know what a life of drinking is like. I brought it up in an AA meeting last night and got some good suggestions, as well as two phone numbers of guys who want to help me out when I feel the urge to drink. Still, until I actually move and an faced with being alone all the time (I work from home so I have little to no human contact throughout the day) I'm going to worry.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 11:54 am

Sorry to hear this. I do not know what to advise as I have never been through the same situation. I hope all goes well for you.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 11:58 am

Thank you, Mountain Goat. I've never gone through this before either...it's the fear of the unknown that bothers me most.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 1:22 pm

I just found this thread.

Do you like sports?

If I were in your situation, I would watch as many ballgames as possible.

Also: you could come on here and talk to us. I know it's not "real life"---but, sometimes, this place is better than "real life."

What I also do sometimes when I'm down is take walks.

And reading is good, too. And surfing the Net (but don't get involved in stupid discussions on social media).

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 1:26 pm

Thanks for the response, Kraftie. I do like sports, and was planning on watching whenever possible. And I probably will be more present on this forum, too. I just can't figure out how to meet new people. I'm 58, don't drink (I hope that continues) so the bar scene is out. I guess I just don't know what I'm going to do with myself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 1:29 pm

It really depends on the town or city you live in.

Going to the movies is always good. You're in an air-conditioned environment, you don't have to interact with anyone, and it makes the time pass by quickly.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 1:42 pm

I'm moving from a rural town of < 500 to a city of about 43,000. I'm assuming they have a movie theatre? I could hit the library too as I like to read. I'm also looking for ways to meet people as I don't want to die alone.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 2:39 pm

If you're near Amherst, you could probably partake of some of the activities there.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 6:09 am

You're familiar with Amherst? I'll be about 1 1/2 hours west of there!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 6:26 am

I’m somewhat familiar with it. It’s a college town.

You must be in the Berkshires.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 6:32 am

Yep. Big college town.

I will be in the Berkshires, yes.

I met a guy named Andy at an AA meeting last night. He gave me his number and offered to show me around my new town as he already lives there. Potential friend I guess...if I could ever figure out how to let someone in.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 7:15 am

Hi Steve, I just saw this too. Amherst is a great town. Walk down the mainstreet, go to the bookstore, there are posters and flyers everywhere of very interesting events. Many of them free. My son used to live in Amherst. Maybe they don’t use flyers anymore now that everything is online.

Amherst area probably has many AA meetings. Go every day. Even twice a day if you can.

AA is a super great resource. Use those phone numbers. Even if you think you are bothering someone, remember that’s how they stay sober, is talking to you. I spent a long time in Alanon and in ACOA. When I was having a hard time I would go to as many meetings as I could, even two a day. The AA people have way more grounding, because their lives depend on it. Yours too.

In my experience making actual real life friends takes time. Maybe you’ll be lucky and make friends quickly. If not, be patient.

Many hugs.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 7:20 am

blazingstar wrote:
Hi Steve, I just saw this too. Amherst is a great town. Walk down the mainstreet, go to the bookstore, there are posters and flyers everywhere of very interesting events. Many of them free. My son used to live in Amherst. Maybe they don’t use flyers anymore now that everything is online.

Amherst area probably has many AA meetings. Go every day. Even twice a day if you can.

AA is a super great resource. Use those phone numbers. Even if you think you are bothering someone, remember that’s how they stay sober, is talking to you. I spent a long time in Alanon and in ACOA. When I was having a hard time I would go to as many meetings as I could, even two a day. The AA people have way more grounding, because their lives depend on it. Yours too.

In my experience making actual real life friends takes time. Maybe you’ll be lucky and make friends quickly. If not, be patient.

Many hugs.

Thanks blazingstar. I appreciate the support...and the hugs. :)

I know Amherst very well. I used to go there all the time. I'm hoping that my new city is similar...it at least has a large enough population to support a lot of events.

I've gone to an AA meeting every day since I drank. Today is day 12 of my new found sobriety. And I know my life depends on it. I can't go back to the way I used to be. I have numbers to use; I'm not the best at reaching out, but they seem to sincerely want to help, so if the urges get beyond my control, I'm going to bite the bullet and reach out for help.

I know making friends takes time. But I'm 58 and only have one friend...a virtual one. But I guess that's a start.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 7:48 am

It's funny about Holyoke:

There's a part of it that you must avoid at all costs; it's a "hood" in these parts.

But there are other parts of Holyoke that have nice Victorian homes.

Then you have Mount Holyoke College. You get a nice view of it from the highway. I took a bus up to Holyoke one day in 1991; that's why I know about it.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 7:52 am

Why do you know this area so well kraftie? I mean...you were there once 30 years ago and you remember it that well? You're spot on about Holyoke...it's one of the worst towns in MA crime-wise...and then you have those beautiful Victorian homes...it's such an odd place.