Lebanon’s only autism school to close due to economic crisis

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 10:04 am

The New Arab

Quote:
Lebanon's only full-service school for autistic children will close in the coming weeks due to the country's protracted economic crisis.

The 1 2 3 Autism School opened in Beirut two years ago and provides personalised educational services for autistic children, as well as training for families to help them be more effective caregivers.

Despite weathering the economic repercussions of Lebanon's 2019 October revolution and the Covid-19 pandemic, the centre will shut its doors soon after facing insurmountable costs in obtaining fuel to keep classrooms and offices lit.

Lebanon is facing a huge fuel shortage due to a lack of foreign exchange to import fuel stocks, in addition to hoarding and sales of subsidised fuels on the black market.

Just last week, fuel prices jumped by 66 percent in a move meant to stave off the complete lifting of state subsidies for petrol and diesel.

Lebanon's exchange rate crisis has led to the lira losing over 90 percent of its value and further exacerbated the school's financial situation.

Some of the students' families moved cities and even countries in order to attend the school.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 1:17 pm

This is sad....

I hope there can be a way to keep it open---or at least to find a way to open it again in the near future, once the crisis is over.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 1:27 pm

not a lot of info, but it does look kind of better than ABA type stuff we get over here? :?

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Aug 2021, 9:57 pm

How are autistic kids served in regular public schools there?