Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 1:26 pm

I think the "active but odd" type of autism fits me very well. I've always been relatively eager to interact with other people, but it's usually so I can do particular activities with them or talk about specific things. I was also able to do "pretend" play as a child, though it was restricted heavily to imitating video game characters and animals I liked (I spent a good portion of my childhood pretending I was Link from TLoZ and also a dog :oops: :lol: ). Overall I try really hard to interact with others and participate in things, and now I will even push myself to do things I don't want to do so I can participate with others, but I have a very difficult time doing so and will always be seen as "odd" or "awkward" in my interactions with others.

Examples of some "active but odd" behaviours

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 1:26 pm

Yep....I'm the "active but odd" type....

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 5:04 pm

In my best of moods.

Conditionally bored yet not tired, angry, sad first... Not too focused on overwhelm, confusion, pain, other frustrations and nuisances like hunger.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 5:09 pm

I don't know if that describes me or not.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 5:38 pm

:jester:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 2:05 am

I suppose I am. If it weren't for some kind of social intelligence and an interest in co-operation I'd probably do little else with people but talk about whatever I personally find interesting. In fact I used to behave almost exactly like that.

I guess my music shows me a lot about my social tendencies. I like performing alone (apart from only being able to play one instrument at a time) because I get to communicate almost completely one way, presenting my own work (which I've had total control over) to an audience. Luckily my sense of musical quality is similar to theirs, as long as I make a bit of an effort to figure out the type of music a particular audience will prefer, so it works quite well. When I play music with others I have to share more and make the process run two ways. It's both a delight and a pain in the butt. I still find it rather a strain to learn how to fit in with somebody else's song or musical arrangement, though once I know my part well it kind of becomes part of me. I think it's much like that with general social interaction - taking an interest in the other person is often an uncomfortable learning curve at first, and the temptation is not to bother, but after a bit of perseverence it's surprising how much easier it gets. It's like an economic exchange, if it's a fair one then if you want to get something (attention) you have to give something (attention) for it.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 7:47 am

I'm not sure if I'm active, but I am social.
This is a problem for me because since I moved to a different city about 10 years ago, I've not managed to get a single friend. It has been really bad lately since covid has limited my social interactions at work.

/Mats

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 7:50 am

I'm "social"---but I tend to be social "on my own terms."

I'm awkward socially----and it shows. Some people will not talk to me under any circumstances because of my awkwardness.

This is why I don't care when somebody says that I'm not doing the "appropriate" thing. I walk in the cars of subway trains so I can get steps; there are people who believe this should only be done in a gym, or on the street. I don't give a rat's butt what they think.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 8:02 am

I'd forgotten I'd done this ! !

Congratulations, you've completed Which Lorna Wing Type Are You?

Based on your answers, you can see your result below
60%Passive

Gentle, suggestible and easily led, the Passive type shares some similarities with the Aloof type, such as seeming disengaged when attempting to process input and a spikey cognitive profile, though they struggle less than the Aloof type with both issues. They are perseverative thinkers and their passivity may manifest through delayed echolalia. This type are introverts and need time to recuperate after socializing. Emotionally sensitive, passive types may react very visibly and strongly when overstimulated, especially through anger and sorrow.

Passives are usually gentle, generous and friendly, but can quickly become distressed.
20%Aloof

Aloof is more common in nonverbal Autistics. May appear to be disengaged but really have a very sensory way of processing the world around them. Aloof types may take longer to process input than other types of personalities. Independence may be difficult to achieve. Typical "spikey cognitive profile". Aloof types are deeply sensory and incredibly in tune with their environments.
10%Active but Odd

Active But Odd is a common personality type among Autistics. In Early development, many active but odd types may fit into Kanner's profile and many into Asperger's. Many make persistent but peculiar attempts at reaching people. May be verbally repetitive. This type is great at rote memory and repetition of large swathes of facts.
10%Stilted

This group almost appears neurotypical. They are often actors and have perfected and practiced the art of passing. They share the same idiosyncrasies as other Autistics and may appear to be slightly "off". This type holds meltdowns in until they get home. They are more concerned with social propriety than other Autistic personality types, and may not have the insight to see their own emotional reactions.

https://www.onlineassessmenttool.com/wh ... 9?logout=1

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 8:16 am

I was a "Kanner-type" autistic before the age of 5. I was diagnosed with autism when it was a more specific disorder.

Blueberry_Muffin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2021, 8:18 am

Only every once in a while. I don't know why it happens when it does, but it seems that energy drinks seem to increase the chances of me being less passive. Meanwhile alcohol makes me actively talk to people nearly every time.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 8:37 am

firemonkey wrote:

Hmm.......after I'd done the test, instead of giving me the results it just gave me a page to fill in my email address etc. I don't think it was a deliberate honey trap, as it had "start test" buttons on that page as if it didn't know I'd already answered the questions. Probably an incompatibility between their software and my computer / browser / settings.

As for the questions, as usual with reductionist, forced-response tests I didn't feel any of the responses particularly matched what I'd actually do in the situations they described. Often I felt there was a bit of me in most of the 4 possible responses, but the test didn't allow me to select more than one. So I doubt the results would have been valid even if they'd told me what they were. The whole thing seems to have been designed for people with a different thinking style to mine.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 8:45 am

firemonkey wrote:
I'd forgotten I'd done this ! !

Congratulations, you've completed Which Lorna Wing Type Are You?

Based on your answers, you can see your result below
60%Passive

Gentle, suggestible and easily led, the Passive type shares some similarities with the Aloof type, such as seeming disengaged when attempting to process input and a spikey cognitive profile, though they struggle less than the Aloof type with both issues. They are perseverative thinkers and their passivity may manifest through delayed echolalia. This type are introverts and need time to recuperate after socializing. Emotionally sensitive, passive types may react very visibly and strongly when overstimulated, especially through anger and sorrow.

Passives are usually gentle, generous and friendly, but can quickly become distressed.
20%Aloof

Aloof is more common in nonverbal Autistics. May appear to be disengaged but really have a very sensory way of processing the world around them. Aloof types may take longer to process input than other types of personalities. Independence may be difficult to achieve. Typical "spikey cognitive profile". Aloof types are deeply sensory and incredibly in tune with their environments.
10%Active but Odd

Active But Odd is a common personality type among Autistics. In Early development, many active but odd types may fit into Kanner's profile and many into Asperger's. Many make persistent but peculiar attempts at reaching people. May be verbally repetitive. This type is great at rote memory and repetition of large swathes of facts.
10%Stilted

This group almost appears neurotypical. They are often actors and have perfected and practiced the art of passing. They share the same idiosyncrasies as other Autistics and may appear to be slightly "off". This type holds meltdowns in until they get home. They are more concerned with social propriety than other Autistic personality types, and may not have the insight to see their own emotional reactions.

https://www.onlineassessmenttool.com/wh ... 9?logout=1

Ty for the link, I'm half "Active but odd" and 30% Passive... I couldn't believe how well those characteristics fit me! I am mostly active but odd, but can get passive under stress :D

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 8:49 am

I had the closest thing to normal relationships when I was in college, especially when i was working on my doctorate. I developed some very good friends there and was comfortable talking and doing things with them. The relationships did not last for very long after we left the university, unfortunately. Upon reflection, I think that time period (and a bit past) may have been the happiest in my life.

I learned very quickly as a child that most people do not want to listen to me, regardless of what I was talking about. I clearly was unable to grasp the intricacies of social interactions.

Now, I have a specific role with the people I interact with and I can operate from that role pretty well. That option did not seem to be included in the OP reading.

Other than that, I probably now fit the "aloof" category. I have little to no interest in interacting with others.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 11:27 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
.......after I'd done the test, instead of giving me the results it just gave me a page to fill in my email address etc.

I entered a fake address and it took me to results.

I had the most difficulty with the extroverted question (extraverted, but not... sometimes) and how explosive I am (at home, not publicly... much). I am definitely "too much" during interviews... grrrr.... still between jobs.

My results #1:
40% Passive
30% Active But Odd
20% Stilted (pass as NT)
10% Aloof

My results #2:
40% Active But Odd
40% Passive
10% Aloof
10% Stilted (pass as NT)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 4:01 pm

SharonB wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
.......after I'd done the test, instead of giving me the results it just gave me a page to fill in my email address etc.

I entered a fake address and it took me to results.

I had the most difficulty with the extroverted question (extraverted, but not... sometimes) and how explosive I am (at home, not publicly... much). I am definitely "too much" during interviews... grrrr.... still between jobs.

My results #1:
40% Passive
30% Active But Odd
20% Stilted (pass as NT)
10% Aloof

My results #2:
40% Active But Odd
40% Passive
10% Aloof
10% Stilted (pass as NT)

Ah, so it was a honey trap after all, though not a very strong one. I should have tried a fake email, but those "start test" buttons when I'd just completed the test made me think the web page had a bug. Anyway, the quality of my answers was so awful that my scores would have been meaningless. Probably the only way I could have found out would have been to answer each question in great detail and then studied the rationale behind the whole matter, and then tried to estimate my scores from that knowledge.