Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 8:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was diagnosed with autism when it was a more specific disorder.

autism has been turned into an a b a scam
mass leveling aka eugenics

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Ah, so it was a honey trap after all, though not a very strong one. I should have tried a fake email, but those "start test" buttons when I'd just completed the test made me think the web page had a bug. Anyway, the quality of my answers was so awful that my scores would have been meaningless. Probably the only way I could have found out would have been to answer each question in great detail and then studied the rationale behind the whole matter, and then tried to estimate my scores from that knowledge.

Yes, the cognitive dissonance was quite disturbing to me. I definitely cringed both times I hit "Start..." it might as well as been a slap in the face.

I hear ya. For some reason I was able to approximate answers the first time, the second time I started to think about it more, which always "does me in".

Teasing: Take it again! Take it again!

Really I need to pick up the house. (I've read that "pick up" is less offensive to my type than "clean up"). Oh, that makes me sad. I want to go take more tests that I can think about and pick apart! Much better.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 9:17 pm

Descriptions in the results of the aforementioned quiz…

Aloof: Aloof is more common in nonverbal Autistics. May appear to be disengaged but really have a very sensory way of processing the world around them. Aloof types may take longer to process input than other types of personalities. Independence may be difficult to achieve. Typical "spikey cognitive profile". Aloof types are deeply sensory and incredibly in tune with their environments.

Passive: Gentle, suggestible and easily led, the Passive type shares some similarities with the Aloof type, such as seeming disengaged when attempting to process input and a spikey cognitive profile, though they struggle less than the Aloof type with both issues. They are perseverative thinkers and their passivity may manifest through delayed echolalia. This type are introverts and need time to recuperate after socializing. Emotionally sensitive, passive types may react very visibly and strongly when overstimulated, especially through anger and sorrow. Passives are usually gentle, generous and friendly, but can quickly become distressed.

Stilted: This group almost appears neurotypical. They are often actors and have perfected and practiced the art of passing. They share the same idiosyncrasies as other Autistics and may appear to be slightly "off". This type holds meltdowns in until they get home. They are more concerned with social propriety than other Autistic personality types, and may not have the insight to see their own emotional reactions.

Active but Odd: Active But Odd is a common personality type among Autistics. In Early development, many active but odd types may fit into Kanner's profile and many into Asperger's. Many make persistent but peculiar attempts at reaching people. May be verbally repetitive. This type is great at rote memory and repetition of large swathes of facts.

I got 50% aloof, 40% passive, 10% stilted, and 0% active but odd. Seems about right, but not accurate questions for me, because I would usually have the “aloof” action but not for the reason included in the answer. But that hint of “stilted” is present because I am good at holding off meltdowns until they turn into shutdowns instead, and I am extremely self-conscious around others, even though I seem to be completely incapable of “passing” no matter how hard I try.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 10:29 pm

SharonB wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Yes, the cognitive dissonance was quite disturbing to me. I definitely cringed both times I hit "Start..." it might as well as been a slap in the face.

I hear ya. For some reason I was able to approximate answers the first time, the second time I started to think about it more, which always "does me in".

Teasing: Take it again! Take it again!

Maybe I could get blind drunk and try again. It's interesting though, I remember doing a personality test years ago - 1979 I think - and the given advice for that was not to think but to just use gut reaction. Luckily in those days I was able to do that to a degree, and got some useful results out of it. These days I can't seem to stop myself thinking diligently about practically everything that comes to my attention.

Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 10:38 pm

Got 60% stilted, 0% passive.

I'm not active but odd, probably more of a conscious camouflager.
Most people who meet me don't know I have autism, although I know from practical experience that my appearance doesn't precisely radiate "I love people and want everyone to be my friend!"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 11:43 pm

I feel maybe I am Odd and lazy to...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 12:07 am

I used to be active and odd but now I'm passive, aloof and odd.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 12:45 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
These days I can't seem to stop myself thinking diligently about practically everything that comes to my attention.

OT: My BFF and I talk about something similar. We're kind of on or off. So you're "on" right now. For us, for grocery shopping:
* ON - we could spend hours walking around the store and looking at labels, comparing prices (and repeat at other stores later in a week or so when our energy is restored). But that's not practical so...
* OFF - we go in and get exactly what we need (with mental blinders on so brain is as off as possible)

It's super frustrating to me when I am in "off" and I have three items to get and my husband calls out a fourth item which puts me in written list range, and if I am going to have to look for that fourth item... ugh. Now give me two to three hours and plenty of time to recover and I'd have no problem whatsoever getting that fourth item. I'd enjoy it.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 12:51 pm

1986 wrote:
Got 60% stilted, 0% passive.

I'm not active but odd, probably more of a conscious camouflager.
Most people who meet me don't know I have autism, although I know from practical experience that my appearance doesn't precisely radiate "I love people and want everyone to be my friend!"

I'm a bit envious. I am told I pass really well (even my evaluator said so), but the effort is no longer sustainable (if it ever was). With lower stress I tend to come across publicly as "simply" too energetic (or too quiet), not Autistic. With higher stress, all bets off. Still since extraverted women are not generally considered Autistic, I don't know what people think. Just "crazy". I have reddish hair and probably would have been burned at the stake earlier in US history.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 1:49 pm

SharonB wrote:
OT: My BFF and I talk about something similar. We're kind of on or off. So you're "on" right now. For us, for grocery shopping:
* ON - we could spend hours walking around the store and looking at labels, comparing prices (and repeat at other stores later in a week or so when our energy is restored). But that's not practical so...
* OFF - we go in and get exactly what we need (with mental blinders on so brain is as off as possible)

It's super frustrating to me when I am in "off" and I have three items to get and my husband calls out a fourth item which puts me in written list range, and if I am going to have to look for that fourth item... ugh. Now give me two to three hours and plenty of time to recover and I'd have no problem whatsoever getting that fourth item. I'd enjoy it.

Yes it is rather and on-off thing. For some reason questions always get a thought-out reaction from me, unless the questioner is obviously being flippant. With shopping I always used to plan them like bank robberies, but I've been known to rebel and just wing it. Depends on how vital it is for me to get everything in one trip. There's a strong urge to have everything complete - answer questions completely, make a complete shopping list and get everything, collect every song by every musician I'm interested in, etc. No wonder I'm so busy.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 5:47 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
There's a strong urge to have everything complete - answer questions completely, make a complete shopping list and get everything, collect every song by every musician I'm interested in, etc. No wonder I'm so busy.

YEEEEEEEEESS. BTDT (Been there and DOING that - have that tendency)

Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 7:39 pm

Quote:
I'm a bit envious. I am told I pass really well (even my evaluator said so), but the effort is no longer sustainable (if it ever was). With lower stress I tend to come across publicly as "simply" too energetic (or too quiet), not Autistic. With higher stress, all bets off. Still since extraverted women are not generally considered Autistic, I don't know what people think. Just "crazy". I have reddish hair and probably would have been burned at the stake earlier in US history.

Putting in the effort to pass as a typical person makes life somewhat easier at the expense of lots of energy. Sometimes "crazy" and "odd" can be better because at least people consider you as part of the "in"-group (general public), although eccentric. If I state that I have autism it's almost as if I got ebola or something and not allowed to be included other than out of pity.

Jayster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2021, 12:49 pm

I was definitely the "active but odd" type as a kid... Sadly alot of the time I thought I was "playing" with the other kids it was more like they were making fun of me without me knowing by getting me to chase them around. They said if I caught them they would get "infected". It was only years later that I realized it was a weird form of bullying because they would never include me in any of their other games, just when they wanted to have the "Spaz" chase them around the playground.

But there was a small amount of time, where I moved to a different school for a few months, and I found a group of kids that were into weird stuff too. We use to run around pretending to be wild cats with a lot of lore and different jobs for each person. That was fun, and the only time I felt fully accepted as a young kid. But then I moved back to my old school and nobody wanted to play with the weird kid who wanted to pretend to be a cat lol

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 12:54 pm

Jayster wrote:
I was definitely the "active but odd" type as a kid... Sadly alot of the time I thought I was "playing" with the other kids it was more like they were making fun of me without me knowing by getting me to chase them around. They said if I caught them they would get "infected". It was only years later that I realized it was a weird form of bullying because they would never include me in any of their other games, just when they wanted to have the "Spaz" chase them around the playground.

But there was a small amount of time, where I moved to a different school for a few months, and I found a group of kids that were into weird stuff too. We use to run around pretending to be wild cats with a lot of lore and different jobs for each person. That was fun, and the only time I felt fully accepted as a young kid. But then I moved back to my old school and nobody wanted to play with the weird kid who wanted to pretend to be a cat lol

Too much of this is relatable. 8O

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 1:46 pm

Jayster wrote:

I had kids make fun of me without me really getting it, too, and I just played along because I was happy to be "included" for once.

I also went to another school for special ed. because the one I went to originally didn't have a special ed. program, and even "normal" kids treated me well there. I was super upset when I got "mainstreamed" and had to go back. I also went to another school after that, because of overcrowding at the first one, and I made a couple friends that would pretend to be wolves with me and that's all we did for like, a year or two. lol

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 3:29 pm

Add me to the “thought it was regular play but realized years later that is wasn’t” club.

I was so oblivious that when my two friends I’d had decided to play a game where they were princesses in a “tower” (piece of playground equipment) and I was banished to the “dungeon” underneath, I just sat there happily playing with the gravel by myself. Multiple times. Should’ve taken that as a big sign that we were no longer friends.

Hardly the only time, but the most obvious.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"