Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 3:55 pm

It seems so obvious now, but for years I did not know this. I was suffering physically but I did not realize that the physical difficulties were caused by mental issues. What I mean by mental issues is not that I am insane or anything like that. It is more that I honestly did not connect the two before... It really has been such a discovery for me that has answered nearly all my questions and the only questions it does not answer are ones that I have not thought about yet and can't think to think about yet because they are not there, as one could say that all my questions have been answered except ones on other subjects if that makes sense?

But why did it take me so long and why were doctors not able to tell me that in ways that made sense to me? (Uhmm. One may have suggested it but he was thinking along lines that I was making a big deal about nothing as nothing medical came up in tests so he thought I had a problem in that I was faking it, and I definately was not faking what I had been and was going through, and what I have been going through recently has ben a lot more harder hitting BUT I am making good progress).

But how come so few people know about this? The connection between physical and mental?

And what I mean by mental is how something like anxiety effects one in physical ways, and of course how shutdowns effect one pysically.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2021, 4:11 pm

Psycho-emotional and psycho-physical connect is deep and true.
I, like you, didn’t really realise probably until my late 20s that my emotional/mental state was always affecting my physical body.
Sadly Western medicine doesn’t have the ‘tools’ to deal with this. Their lens can manage with clear cut cause and effect (though poorly sometimes I believe) but this mind/body connection is less tangible and varies from person to person.

If you’re still suffering the physical effects of mental dis-ease (not disease), I found acupuncture to really help. Bringing the nervous system back into balance can reduce the body’s reactivity to the mind’s over exertion.

Thanks for sharing

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 4:49 pm

Thank you for your reply. I feel embarissed as it took me until around 2 years ago to work it out which is more then twice the age that you mentioned when you found out.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 6:11 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
It seems so obvious now, but for years I did not know this. I was suffering physically but I did not realize that the physical difficulties were caused by mental issues. What I mean by mental issues is not that I am insane or anything like that. It is more that I honestly did not connect the two before... It really has been such a discovery for me that has answered nearly all my questions and the only questions it does not answer are ones that I have not thought about yet and can't think to think about yet because they are not there, as one could say that all my questions have been answered except ones on other subjects if that makes sense?

But why did it take me so long and why were doctors not able to tell me that in ways that made sense to me? (Uhmm. One may have suggested it but he was thinking along lines that I was making a big deal about nothing as nothing medical came up in tests so he thought I had a problem in that I was faking it, and I definately was not faking what I had been and was going through, and what I have been going through recently has ben a lot more harder hitting BUT I am making good progress).

But how come so few people know about this? The connection between physical and mental?

And what I mean by mental is how something like anxiety effects one in physical ways, and of course how shutdowns effect one pysically.

Yeah totally understand where your coming from MG. It's very true and I too only noticed this of perhaps the last year or so. .. I'm really bad with scrunching my face up and looking Hella weird with my fingers etc.. I believe some would call it looking spaz or something.
If I get in the position where I've only got myself to rely on and nothing to get my mask on.. it's pretty apparent. Makes my social anxiety go way off the charts. Like this morning. :(

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2021, 6:36 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I feel embarissed as it took me until around 2 years ago to work it out which is more then twice the age that you mentioned when you found out.

Oh please don’t feel embarrassed…! Your journey is totally valid and different people will have different experiences. It’s great to have that insight regardless of when it arrived :)

I was really pushed by people around me to seek help and my therapist has helped immensely with body awareness. I consider myself lucky to have worked in Western health care systems and developed insight into how dysfunctional the system is for a person like me and many others. I also have people around me who have alternative views or practice traditional medicines like Chinese medicine, which have a holistic view of the human.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 8:55 pm

I've seen the mind and body as being part of the same system for many years. Can't remember what first alerted me to the idea. I've read it in a book or two - the yoga books I used to study were full of it - and I get the impression that most doctors are aware of the way the mind and body affect each other, particularly the notion that if the patient feels good mentally then it tends to have a knock-on effect on healing physical ailments.

It's not your fault if nobody told you and you didn't happen to notice. It does kind of feel as if the mind and body are completely separate, though it makes sense that they're not - there was probably a time when most people thought they were, because nobody had discovered any physical mechanisms for emotions and thinking. The ancients had some wacky ideas about some mental aspects being associated with the heart, liver, spleen, and whatnot. But the brain was for a long time a mysterious "black box," and still is to a large extent, though more is coming to light all the time. It's long been known that hormones have huge effects on the emotions.

I've been interested in placebo effects for a long time - for example, the colour of a tablet affects the observed pharmacological action, to a degree. And hypnosis seems able to do amazing things to the body.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2021, 9:04 pm

chaosmos wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Oh please don’t feel embarrassed…! Your journey is totally valid and different people will have different experiences. It’s great to have that insight regardless of when it arrived :)

I was really pushed by people around me to seek help and my therapist has helped immensely with body awareness. I consider myself lucky to have worked in Western health care systems and developed insight into how dysfunctional the system is for a person like me and many others. I also have people around me who have alternative views or practice traditional medicines like Chinese medicine, which have a holistic view of the human.

I totally agree that some other medical approaches that heal mental, spiritual, and physical ailments together make more sense.

When I'm really stressed or overwhelmed it triggers a migraine and nausea, same with my mom. And my cousin had bells palsy ( paralysis on half his face) for over a year. His doctor said it was brought on by extreme stress and mental exhaustion. He was overworked and emotionally drained from one of his daughters shenanigans.

So yeah, I totally agree that mental, emotional, and spiritual turmoil causes physical symptoms.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."