Page 1 of 8 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 9:15 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-legislators-in-texas-give-final-approval-to-new-voting-restrictions-overcoming-democratic-opposition/ar-AANWGGT?ocid=uxbndlbing

Also, Texas’ fetal heartbeat abortion ban goes into effect tomorrow

Prostitution is now a felony, punishable by 2 years in prison

We’re officially a fascist theocracy.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 9:34 pm

I'm sure Georgia and the rest of the South won't be far behind... :|

♤ The Military

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 11:46 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

No, you're not.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 12:57 am

Dox47 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

No, you're not.

Yes, we are.

Sex toys are illegal, even dick pics are illegal. Abbott will say it's to "protect" women, but it's really about legislating morality. And forget about marijuana being legal.

Texas needs to be like California and New York. If things are legal in those states, they should be legal here. I guarantee that Gavin Newsom and Kathy Hochul aren't signing fetal heartbeat bills into law.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 1:05 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Yes, we are.

Sex toys are illegal, even dick pics are illegal. Abbott will say it's to "protect" women, but it's really about legislating morality. And forget about marijuana being legal.

Texas needs to be like California and New York. If things are legal in those states, they should be legal here. I guarantee that Gavin Newsom and Kathy Hochul aren't signing fetal heartbeat bills into law.

Both fascism and theocracy actually have real meanings, and dick pic and sex toys bans and no legal weed aren't it. You don't have church control of the state, and you don't have an authoritarian government acting in partnership with private industry to oppress you, you just don't like your laws.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 1:38 am

Dox47 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Yes, we are.

Both fascism and theocracy actually have real meanings, and dick pic and sex toys bans and no legal weed aren't it. You don't have church control of the state, and you don't have an authoritarian government acting in partnership with private industry to oppress you, you just don't like your laws.

You’re right, I don’t like them. I want New York’s and California’s laws to apply to the whole country, since most people can’t afford to live in NYC, San Francisco or Seattle.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 6:06 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
You’re right, I don’t like them. I want New York’s and California’s laws to apply to the whole country, since most people can’t afford to live in NYC, San Francisco or Seattle.

Then better move, because that's never going to happen.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 6:18 am

Dox47 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Then better move, because that's never going to happen.

I don’t have a 6-figure income and a degree in computer science, so I would never be able to afford those cities.

Recalling Abbott is not an option, and impeachment/removal results in Dan Patrick taking over, and he’s worse.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 9:49 am

Thankfully, there have been very few prosecutions for the sex toy ban:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_obscenity_statute

Oscar Meyer Lansky

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 9:52 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Georgia has a sex toy ban too, not that anyone really enforces it of course...

♤ The Military

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 9:56 am

There are kinds of crazy laws in the South. A few years back I learned that in at least one state it's illegal for atheists to hold public office.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 10:51 am

VegetableMan wrote:
There are kinds of crazy laws in the South. A few years back I learned that in at least one state it's illegal for atheists to hold public office.

Personally you know what I think is crazy? The South has always been stereotyped for inbreeding hillbillies and yet the three states where incest is actually legal (Rhode Island, Ohio, and New Jersey) are all Northern States. :lol:

♤ The Military

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 11:06 am

King0fSpades wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Personally you know what I think is crazy? The South has always been stereotyped for inbreeding hillbillies and yet the three states where incest is actually legal (Rhode Island, Ohio, and New Jersey) are all Northern States. :lol:

Yeah, stereotypes ain't no good. I try to avoid them.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 11:30 am

King0fSpades wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Georgia has a sex toy ban too, not that anyone really enforces it of course...

Weird. I've never heard this one. I have lived here for years, and there are many sex toy shops across the state. Maybe certain cities or towns banned them?

Tim_Tex wrote:

They already tried to pass a similar law in Georgia in 2020, Georgia HB48. "HB 481 would have outlawed abortions after the detection of a 'fetal human heartbeat,' which usually occurs in the sixth week of pregnancy." Really misleading considering embryos don't even have heartbeats (and an embryo isn't termed a fetus until 11 weeks). There is pulsating activity which is caused by cells grouping together in preparation to form organs, etc, but there is no heart there to beat. Abortion access is so limited in the South already (women from all over the state are limited to just a handful of clinics), and these sorts of laws are just downright cruel and traumatizing to women. HB48 was ruled unconstitutional and struck down by a federal court in July 2020, but I expect it will be up for vote again in the near future.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 11:34 am

Flown wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

Weird. I've never heard this one. I have lived here for years, and there are many sex toy shops across the state. Maybe certain cities or towns banned them?

Tim_Tex wrote:

They already tried to pass a similar law in Georgia in 2020, Georgia HB48. "HB 481 would have outlawed abortions after the detection of a 'fetal human heartbeat,' which usually occurs in the sixth week of pregnancy." Really misleading considering embryos don't even have heartbeats (and an embryo isn't termed a fetus until 11 weeks). There is pulsating activity which is caused by cells grouping together in preparation to form organs, etc, but there is no heart there to beat. Abortion access is so limited in the South already (women from all over the state are limited to just a handful of clinics), and these sorts of laws are just downright cruel and traumatizing to women. HB48 was ruled unconstitutional and struck down by a federal court in July 2020, but I expect it will be up for vote again in the near future.

And the anti-abortion laws are solely about controlling womens’ sexuality, shaming them for having sex outside of marriage.

I’m sure fornication is the next thing red states will make illegal. If anything, fornication should be *mandatory*!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 1:02 pm

The Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church, and the Mormon Church need to be designated as hate groups, if not terrorist organizations.