Page 5 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 8:21 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:

I wonder why it is that people who "tell it like it is" and "speak their minds" never have anything good to say. Seems interesting that "the truth" that needs saying is always a negative one.

There's a very simple explanation for that. Because people are s**t and this world is a hellhole. Only the truly enlightened seem aware of this.

♤ The Military

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 8:44 pm

King0fSpades wrote:

I wonder why it is that people who "tell it like it is" and "speak their minds" never have anything good to say. Seems interesting that "the truth" that needs saying is always a negative one.

There's a very simple explanation for that. Because people are s**t and this world is a hellhole. Only the truly enlightened seem aware of this.

But a lot of those people aren't actually telling it how it is, they're angry and their emotions are causing them to oversimplify things. Other angry people are likely to agree, but that doesn't mean they're right.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 9:08 pm

It seems as though whenever there's a complaint about "political correctness", it inevitably boils down to someone being upset that they can't talk trash about other people the same way they used to. No matter how neutrally they try to phrase it, such as by saying "you can't call things what they are anymore, huh", or "I'm just telling the TRUTH!", the reality is, the "truth" being spoken is seldom a flattering one..

Don't worry, plenty of us know this is the bottom line as well.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 9:53 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
I'm against stereotypes and bigotry as much as anybody, but I think the Left has been taking it too far.

Indeed. It was too far even before it's become obvious to most nowadays, back when Carlin said "Political Correctness is fascism with manners" and "Political correctness is America's newest form of intolerance, and it is especially pernicious because it comes disguised as tolerance. It presents itself as fairness, yet attempts to restrict and control people's language with strict codes and rigid rules. I'm not sure that's the way to fight discrimination. I'm not sure silencing people or forcing them to alter their speech is the best method for solving problems that go much deeper than speech."

Or of course someone will say that's misattributed, but it doesn't really matter who said it. Regardless of legalism, evil is evil.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 9:55 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

But a lot of those people aren't actually telling it how it is, they're angry and their emotions are causing them to oversimplify things. Other angry people are likely to agree, but that doesn't mean they're right.

So, let them be wrong. Who should care to control what everyone thinks? Would you like it if it were done unto you?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 10:51 pm

Iamaparakeet wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

So, let them be wrong. Who should care to control what everyone thinks? Would you like it if it were done unto you?

Now where exactly did I suggest anything along the lines of what you're trying argue with? :scratch:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:07 pm

Social media and the internet has created a new level of political correctness and outrage, which are we are seeing the negative effects more and more as time goes on. It's constant finger pointing. If they feel like they can throw the first rock, it's up to them, but calling out people constantly is not a way of life IMO.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 3:55 am

Fixxer wrote:
Social media and the internet has created a new level of political correctness and outrage, which are we are seeing the negative effects more and more as time goes on. It's constant finger pointing. If they feel like they can throw the first rock, it's up to them, but calling out people constantly is not a way of life IMO.

We also have the power to switch of the TV, change the channel and read a book :lol:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 3:59 am

The real art if is one can politically correctly insult another person...prove me wrong.

I mean I don't know if I could even do that, but idk maybe my youngest brother would be able to pull it off.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:02 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
The real art if is one can politically correctly insult another person...prove me wrong.

If the intention is to insult instead of educate then its not PC

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well sure I am just saying a rather smart person could take one of those horrible talking points one of those jerks has and turn it against them. The goal should not be to insult per-say but to prove a point which might come with some insult.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:23 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well sure I am just saying a rather smart person could take one of those horrible talking points one of those jerks has and turn it against them. The goal should not be to insult per-say but to prove a point which might come with some insult.

Yes, that's a skill, to point out that what the other person said is stupid (basically using their words to insult themselves) while at the same providing a teaching moment to the that person.