Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 5:11 am

Bradleigh wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I am confused.

Are you saying that...the LGBTQ community is AGAINST gay cops attending the NYC Gay pride march?

I might not know the exact case, but I might be able to make some guesses.

Reasons might be that it confusion is a case that Pride is not necessarily synonymous with LGBTQ. Pride is about people being able to live as who they really are, that people can be LGBTQ, but also be outside of those, which has recently had some focus on race relations. There concern is within Pride about things like police brutality towards minority races, and it has reached a point where there is an increasing opinion that playing nice with the police has not worked to bring any change, rather just placated some pretty words so that something will happen again.

Thus amongst Pride there could be opinions that highlighting gay police officers in Pride only works to redeem their image. Kind of like if Pride allowed a highlight for gay literal Nazis, which might show that they are not all bad. And I suppose that is it, the ACAB (All Cop Are Bad) movement, which doesn't mean that all cops are violent racists, but the general endorsement of being a cop at this point, is a representation of things like police unions that have actively fought against social and systematic change.

Some people in Pride might no longer be willing allow the whitewashing of cops, before something is done to stop the injustices that keep on getting committed. It really isn't that confusing.

Wow. Thats a mind flip for an old timer like me.

There was a time (and doesnt seem that long ago) when if a cop were openly gay he would be considered a disgrace to cops.

But you're saying that nowadays a cop who is openly gay is considered a disgrace to...Gays!

That hatred of cops is now greater than than homophobia in society!

And further that that has become so taken for granted that only old timers like me need to have that explained to them? :lol:

In some communities these days thats probably true.

I am not in favor of homophobia. It just never occurred to me that a "gay cop" would be more hated for the cop part of his identity than for the gay part.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 5:14 am

With bullying being a major issue, and it often resulting in suicide, it should be illegal to so much as criticize or disagree with anyone who isn’t a white, heterosexual, cis-gender, Christian male.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Sep 2021, 5:31 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
With bullying being a major issue, and it often resulting in suicide, it should be illegal to so much as criticize or disagree with anyone who isn’t a white, heterosexual, cis-gender, Christian male.

Sorry but this attitude is very unhealthy as it reinforces existing divisions.

Individuals and organisations should be criticized when doing wrong things - but not attacked for being sterotyped.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 5:45 am

magz wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Sorry but this attitude is very unhealthy as it reinforces existing divisions.

Individuals and organisations should be criticized when doing wrong things - but not attacked for being sterotyped.

I think it sounds silly too. There is a difference between ideas like social taboos along the lines political correctness, and actual laws.

Things like laws that protect any criticism or disagreement of a particular group can lead to other social injustices. As an example, there were some pushes of legal consequences for things like criticism against Israel, because it is an apparent Jewish state, and doing so can protect them from any criticism from actual atrocities they are committing.

The idea of protecting anyone who isn't a "white, heterosexual, cis-gender, Christian male" sounds so ridiculous that I can only see it as a hyperbolic argument that a lot of people who are a white, heterosexual, cis-gender, Christian male want to pretend that they are the most victimised group. People can be adults and take criticism, it just should not be on their race, sexuality, gender and probably religion. Although some religions support some messed up stuff, like treating people like property.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 5:47 am

Accurate

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 6:26 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Wow. Thats a mind flip for an old timer like me.

There was a time (and doesnt seem that long ago) when if a cop were openly gay he would be considered a disgrace to cops.

But you're saying that nowadays a cop who is openly gay is considered a disgrace to...Gays!

That hatred of cops is now greater than than homophobia in society!

And further that that has become so taken for granted that only old timers like me need to have that explained to them? :lol:

In some communities these days thats probably true.

I am not in favor of homophobia. It just never occurred to me that a "gay cop" would be more hated for the cop part of his identity than for the gay part.

I don't know how widely the particular beliefs are, only that I have listened to a lot of opinions, and how often things can be more complicated than they might sound at first.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 11:43 am

We live in a world nowadays where feelings have been elevated to have the same validity as facts. People can no longer agree to disagree and all with whom one disagrees become not wrong but evil.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 11:46 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

By doing so we would then demonize everyone outside of that description. History shows that demonizing a particular group of people (no matter how much you may hate them) leads society to a very bad place.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 12:35 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Why does everyone adhere to "political correctness"? Why is speaking the Truth not allowed?

If I say "Russia's only purpose in Europe is - sadly - to annex European contries and enslave their populations", it is politically incorrect to say that, because it gives diplomatic troubles, but it is a truth nonetheless.

But it seems I can't speak that truth, without getting in trouble.

I believe we need to speak openly about the Truths of this world, no matter how much it hurts. The truth will never become any different, just because we look away.
"Look out!  Political Correctness is coming!"

"It's the Social Justice Warriors!  Flee!  Flee!"

"Cultural Marxism is here!"

"The Woke will destroy us all!"

"Run!  It's Cancel Cultue!"

"Critical Race Theory!  Nooooooooooo!"

"The Sky is falling!  The Sky is falling!"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 1:54 pm

Something from Chris Hedges that is worth a look regarding cancel culture:

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:43 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
We live in a world nowadays where feelings have been elevated to have the same validity as facts. People can no longer agree to disagree and all with whom one disagrees become not wrong but evil.

We also live in a world where what is presented as "facts" are distorted in order to serve agendas.
I am suspicious when groups attack science in order to elevate their feelings and reinforce their beliefs.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 11:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

We also live in a world where what is presented as "facts" are distorted in order to serve agendas.
I am suspicious when groups attack science in order to elevate their feelings and reinforce their beliefs.

Just because you disagree with something does not make that thing "misinformation" Most spokesmen will say whatever they are being paid to say.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 1:41 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Just because you disagree with something does not make that thing "misinformation" Most spokesmen will say whatever they are being paid to say.

If a spokeman is providing 'information' that is known to be contrary to the facts that is intentional disinformation.

Maybe they're those 'alternative facts' I've heard so much about, but they're not actual facts. They're lies and they're used to manipulate the uninformed into becoming the disinformed.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 2:31 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

If a spokeman is providing 'information' that is known to be contrary to the facts that is intentional disinformation.

Maybe they're those 'alternative facts' I've heard so much about, but they're not actual facts. They're lies and they're used to manipulate the uninformed into becoming the disinformed.

And thus making them violent enough to attack our nation's Capitol.. :thumright:

♤ The Military

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 8:05 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

I tend to find that alternatives generated by conspiracy groups (without mentioning names) presented against scientific consensus tends to lack a little something called "evidence",

The outcome of allowing conspiracists and fanatics to obtain political power is equally demonstrated by the US federal election of 2016 and the subsequent capitol riots on Jan 6 2021 as well as the rise of ISIS in Syria or the Taliban in Afghanistan.

It illustrates the old adage that propaganda overcoming science can be a dangerous thing. Literally a weapon in the wrong hands.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 12:58 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

I tend to find that alternatives generated by conspiracy groups (without mentioning names) presented against scientific consensus tends to lack a little something called "evidence",

The outcome of allowing conspiracists and fanatics to obtain political power is equally demonstrated by the US federal election of 2016 and the subsequent capitol riots on Jan 6 2021 as well as the rise of ISIS in Syria or the Taliban in Afghanistan.

It illustrates the old adage that propaganda overcoming science can be a dangerous thing. Literally a weapon in the wrong hands.

Where is the evidence for some of the Left's most enthusiastic causes today?