Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 12:59 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
We live in a world nowadays where feelings have been elevated to have the same validity as facts. People can no longer agree to disagree and all with whom one disagrees become not wrong but evil.

We also live in a world where what is presented as "facts" are distorted in order to serve agendas.
I am suspicious when groups attack science in order to elevate their feelings and reinforce their beliefs.

Just because you disagree with something does not make that thing "misinformation" Most spokesmen will say whatever they are being paid to say.

If a spokeman is providing 'information' that is known to be contrary to the facts that is intentional disinformation.

Maybe they're those 'alternative facts' I've heard so much about, but they're not actual facts. They're lies and they're used to manipulate the uninformed into becoming the disinformed.

And thus making them violent enough to attack our nation's Capitol.. :thumright:

Thats one amazing fairy tale.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:48 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
We live in a world nowadays where feelings have been elevated to have the same validity as facts. People can no longer agree to disagree and all with whom one disagrees become not wrong but evil.

We also live in a world where what is presented as "facts" are distorted in order to serve agendas.
I am suspicious when groups attack science in order to elevate their feelings and reinforce their beliefs.

Just because you disagree with something does not make that thing "misinformation" Most spokesmen will say whatever they are being paid to say.

If a spokeman is providing 'information' that is known to be contrary to the facts that is intentional disinformation.

Maybe they're those 'alternative facts' I've heard so much about, but they're not actual facts. They're lies and they're used to manipulate the uninformed into becoming the disinformed.

And thus making them violent enough to attack our nation's Capitol.. :thumright:

Ah, I see now.

Just like when certain people deny that the Holocaust ever happened. Not because they actually believe it never happened, but because they know it twists a painful knife into the Jews who they hate.

Basically that's the same tactic that the GQP is using on the Democrats. Psychological warfare and all that.

♤ The Military

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 2:54 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Ah, I see now.

Just like when certain people deny that the Holocaust ever happened. Not because they actually believe it never happened, but because they know it twists a painful knife into the Jews who they hate.

Basically that's the same tactic that the GQP is using on the Democrats. Psychological warfare and all that.

That seems to be what you are doing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Why does everyone adhere to "political correctness"? Why is speaking the Truth not allowed?

I only bow down to political correctness because I hate being shamed or told off by the mods. One or two of them scare me (not enviro).

But yeah, I know what you mean. It's apparently racist to be patriotic, or be resentful of the way their country puts foreign people first, or whatever. I'm sure the foreign people are nice but mixing cultures in small islands like the UK just doesn't work in the end. The system gets overcrowded, there isn't enough jobs, homes, education and healthcare to go around, and most Brits I know feel like they're being pushed to the side to make way for people from other countries. It's only natural to feel resentful.

But you do get some know-it-alls here on WP who will disagree with you and try to put words into your mouth and call you racist and disrespectful, and then they do that annoying "how would you like it if..." and all that crap. And then they pull the "you lack empathy" card against you - even though how you're feeling about politics has nothing to do with f*****g "empathy". I hate that stupid word and you should not be accused of lacking it just for having an opinion.

And don't even get me started on this gender thing. I can see the world heading towards a future where gender won't be a thing any more and won't even be mentioned....even though British women with exposed unshaved legs will still be shamed, but at least there'll be men prancing around in pink dresses and nobody will be allowed to bat an eye.

Edit: Oh my sweet Jesus, I just realised I have posted in this dangerous corner of WP.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 6:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Edit: Oh my sweet Jesus, I just realised I have posted in this dangerous corner of WP.

It's actually pretty tame here these days, News is worse.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 6:21 pm

Oh, it's not so dangerous here. We're all good people until political discussions unleash the darkest recesses of our souls!

Ahem! That may have been a little over the top.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 6:27 pm

Multiculturalism has actually worked pretty well in the UK----better than some other countries.

There will always be competition for jobs----whether all people are of the same nationality, or many nationalities.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 6:54 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I like to think of PC as linguistic authoritarianism.

That is pretty much the point. Each generation it gets less innocuous.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 7:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Multiculturalism has actually worked pretty well in the UK----better than some other countries.

There will always be competition for jobs----whether all people are of the same nationality, or many nationalities.

Could we even prove that multiculturalism is in itself beneficial for any country?

Also note that the only countries demanded to be "multicultural" are the developed Western countries, while the rest of the world (for now) basically gets to keep it's usual national people and characteristics it was founded on. Not that immigration and foreign nationalities should absolutely not exist at all, all in moderation. But excess foreign immigration can and will dilute it's host.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 7:14 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Could we even prove that multiculturalism is in itself beneficial for any country?

Also note that the only countries demanded to be "multicultural" are the developed Western countries, while the rest of the world (for now) basically gets to keep it's usual national people and characteristics it was founded on. Not that immigration and foreign nationalities should absolutely not exist at all, all in moderation. But excess foreign immigration can and will dilute it's host.

♤ The Military

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 7:38 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I or anyone else didn't say that people of other races shouldn't exist in our world. We just want to live in a world where migration flows across the world are regulated so that no one country or sets of countries have their nations diluted. Besides, race isn't the only concern. It is also culturally, linguistically, fiscally, socially. Basically in excess it is a burden for the domestic host country in many different areas.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 7:46 pm

I like black people. They're just no different to white people and over here the black people are just as likely to be good or bad as white people (black people can be criminals or slobs but that's not related to their race, it's down to the individual, just like white people can be criminals or slobs). Black people are part of our British culture. But I've heard a lot of people complain about Eastern Europeans (who are white). A lot of them come over to the UK to work to earn money and send it back home to their families, and they try to get as many hours as they can but whine if they are given too much work and they pull the racist card if you tell them to work properly or harder. Before anyone here gets excited, I am not saying all Eastern Europeans in the UK are the same, because they're not, but it seems that a lot of them do live like that over here and some don't show much respect.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 9:47 pm

Joe90 wrote:
But I've heard a lot of people complain about Eastern Europeans (who are white). A lot of them come over to the UK to work to earn money and send it back home to their families, and they try to get as many hours as they can but whine if they are given too much work and they pull the racist card if you tell them to work properly or harder.

Are these the Polish plumbers I keep hearing about? I'll admit I don't follow UK politics particularly closely, but I've heard similar complaints about Eastern Europeans coming in and doing the work cheaper than the native Brits, which sounds very similar to the complaints here in America about immigrants coming in and driving down the wage floor for working class jobs.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 4:25 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
But I've heard a lot of people complain about Eastern Europeans (who are white). A lot of them come over to the UK to work to earn money and send it back home to their families, and they try to get as many hours as they can but whine if they are given too much work and they pull the racist card if you tell them to work properly or harder.

Are these the Polish plumbers I keep hearing about? I'll admit I don't follow UK politics particularly closely, but I've heard similar complaints about Eastern Europeans coming in and doing the work cheaper than the native Brits, which sounds very similar to the complaints here in America about immigrants coming in and driving down the wage floor for working class jobs.

Well, there is truth in that.

Very large amount of immigrants in a short time = overall wages driven down because of excess workforce.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 5:12 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:

Very large amount of immigrants in a short time = overall wages driven down because of excess workforce.

It's not even just that though, when you have people moving from countries with lower standards of living, they're often willing to work for less than native workers, which further depresses wages. It's a thorny problem, I'm usually in favor of allowing markets to set prices, but I've seen how corrosive globalization has been to wages in the working class sector, and I'm not entirely sure what the proper solution is.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 8:16 pm

It seems as though whenever there's a complaint about "political correctness", it inevitably boils down to someone being upset that they can't talk trash about other people the same way they used to. No matter how neutrally they try to phrase it, such as by saying "you can't call things what they are anymore, huh", or "I'm just telling the TRUTH!", the reality is, the "truth" being spoken is seldom a flattering one.

And yet, as much as they defend their right to talk s**t about others, the instant you say even the slightest word against them, Mz Manners crawls out of their ass and starts shrieking like a banshee about civility and respect - for them.

People who pound their chest and stomp their feet about their right to label things however they want suddenly don't like labels the instant that an unflattering one is applied to them. Funny that.

I wonder why it is that people who "tell it like it is" and "speak their minds" never have anything good to say. Seems interesting that "the truth" that needs saying is always a negative one.