My latest very bad ruminating episode: 9/11

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 1:35 pm

Been thinking a lot about that day. It’s consumed my mind the way that a lot of negative thoughts always have. Been thinking a lot about people who lost loved ones, who’s lives were forever altered by this.

Aside from the death aspect of it, I also think about all the people who’s flights were diverted to Canada and then being stuck on planes for around 24 hours. I think about how pissed off I would’ve been had I been in one of those planes. The unexpectedness and confusion of the situation would’ve driven me crazy.

I think about everybody who was born on that day. Whenever they go to the doctors office, call the bank, etc. they have to tell them their DOB. I would feel more comfortable buying a condom.

After doing some research on how 9/11 impacted entertainment, I had come across a YouTube video of a still shot that was shown on a few tv channels that day. I will put it in the comments.

After I heard that song that was played, I teared up a bit. I felt like a scared little kid again.

I have mental health issues, clearly. I had forgotten for a bit that it is now 2021, that I was only a year old when it happened and that I wasn’t directly impacted by it.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 1:36 pm

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2021, 1:09 pm

I was 13 when 9/11 happened and I have thought about it on and off for many years, obsessively at times. I even wrote an essay about it at university. I remember watching the news in absolute disbelief from the other side of the world!

It was the first time a significant disaster was replayed on the news over and over again in some sort of compulsive loop. Repetitive imagery. I believe the event penetrated the cultural psyche and some of those images of people falling and planes smashing into buildings will never leave me. This explains why those who weren’t alive at the time, or were very young are affected by it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 1:13 pm

Newly posted / shameless plug:  Skeptic's Resources: 9/11 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 1:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
um, my post had nothing to do with conspiracy theories……

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 1:41 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
Fnord wrote:
um, my post had nothing to do with conspiracy theories…
Exactly.  I wanted to link to some appropriate resources before the usual conspiracy theorists showed up -- something that could be used against them to refute their spurious "logic" and ignorant nonsense.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 1:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:
Fnord wrote:
um, my post had nothing to do with conspiracy theories…
Exactly.  I wanted to link to some appropriate resources before the usual conspiracy theorists showed up -- something that could be used against them to refute their spurious "logic" and ignorant nonsense.
oh, ok

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 7:30 pm

I was 11 and my NT sister was 14 when 9/11 happened.

I was beginning my middle school years and she was beginning her years in high school.

When I arrived at my school, a message was said over the intercom in which my school's principal said, "Two planes have crashed at the World Trade Center in New York City and another has crashed into the Pentagon in Washington DC. However, there is no threat to Portland, so please go on about your day."

We knew what The Pentagon was for, but hardly knew anything about the WTC.

When school finished for the day, our dad showed up and drove us back home as quickly as he could.

When he turned on the TV, we were just shocked that all channels were showing coverage of what happened not only in New York City, but also Washington DC. Later of course, coverage was shown of the plane that crashed in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

@ OP: You certainly are right about everyone whose birthday is September 11th. How would they certainly feel about telling people their birthday your guess is as good as anyone else's.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:58 pm

Basically it was before your time. You were only one. But you get emotional about it.

Which I understand.

Three similar event shook the nation: Pearl Harbor, the Assassination of JFK, and 9-11.

Was an adult during 9-11, was in third grade when Dallas happened, and Pearl Harbor was before my time, but somehow I picked up an emotional feel for it from my parents despite it being before my time. All three can provoke an emotional response in me just thinking about them.