UK members - have you ever got delivery from Iceland?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 5:00 pm

Not the country, I mean the store.

Last week me and my boyfriend went to Iceland to do some shopping for frozen items, and they do free deliveries so we paid for all our items and arranged a delivery. Later that day the delivery arrived on time, but I was at work so my boyfriend accepted the delivery and put it away in the freezer. But when I came home from work he told me that some of the ice-cream and ice lollies had thawed, but he didn't sound serious when he said it so I thought he meant a little bit, and I didn't think to look until 2 or 3 days later when I went to get an ice lolly. A lot of the lollies were completely misshapen, which obviously meant that they had been thawed out. Some of the lollies have milk and ice-cream in them, and since I've been eating them I've been getting an upset stomach and diarrhea.
I hate wasting food so that's why I'm eating them, but I figured it was too late to send the thawed lollies back because we had thrown out the receipt already.

Should we still complain, or is it too late for that too, as it's now been a week. I heard they have freezers in the delivery vans, but I am wondering if they had left the items hanging about in between the time we paid and when they loaded the van. But I do feel disappointed because you put your trust in services and when such an obvious task wasn't met properly then it's not good enough. I mean, it goes without saying that if a customer has paid for frozen items then it's the store's responsibility to make sure the items are kept in frozen conditions (ie, a freezer) at all times. Otherwise, it could be a health risk.

Has anyone else had bad experiences with Iceland deliveries?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 11:09 am

I assumed the country.

Anyways: Complain, nicely, to the store. Let them know what happened. Best case scenario they refund money or give you a store credit for future use. Worst case they ignore you or decline to do anything and you're right where you are now.

Just let them know that their delivery was of partially melted/thawed products, that you didn't throw them out not to be wasteful, and that they've been causing an upset stomach as they're the only new food you've been eating. Ask if they're willing to compensate you for the difficulties caused. Don't mention that you don't have a receipt - they should have a record of the delivery, anyways.

Companies don't like bad word of mouth, including this post. They might have a policy of just replacing orders when they get complaints just to keep people super happy and saying nice things about them instead of getting negative reviews - it costs less for them to give away some ice cream than it does to have an upset customer that writes a poor review online for people to read forever, which would deter future sales forever. If they're smart they'll be proactive in working with you to keep you happy and as a returning customer. Maybe even include that in your message; that you'd like to have the same level of service you always do so that you'll remain a regular customer. They'll catch your drift and probably do something about it. (Feel free to copy and paste any of my words that may be helpful.)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 11:23 am

^^ "Hello Fresh" has similar quality-control issues.  Their basic premise is to ship ingredients packed in dry ice, thus (allegedly) preserving the freshness and healthfulness of the ingredients (which you prepare).

Each shipment was a big disappointment -- wilted vegetables, blackened herbs, and wet ingredients that had gone stale.

However, I did keep the recipes, and use them to guide me in preparing fresh ingredients that I purchase locally.

So it was not a complete loss; but I did cancel the contract before the trial period ended.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 4:56 pm

I had that problem with Butcher Box. They replaced shipments without a fuss, but the problem was chronic.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 4:58 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I had that problem with Butcher Box. They replaced shipments without a fuss, but the problem was chronic.
The problem should not exist in the first place.

If companies want to provide food deliveries, then the companies should ensure that those deliveries arrive fresh.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 3:39 am

Still keep getting stomach cramps and diarrhea that's difficult to pass, definitely a mild but still unpleasant case of food-poisoning.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 8:19 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Still keep getting stomach cramps and diarrhea that's difficult to pass, definitely a mild but still unpleasant case of food-poisoning.

Yeeeeah, probably wise to throw out the rest of the order vs poison yourself with bacteria. Email the company and tell them it made you sick so you had to throw the rest out and ask them what they're going to do to compensate you for it - whether refund or replacement product.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 8:53 pm

Used Iceland's delivery service occasionally a few years ago. Never had any issues, but was always conscious of the potential for problems with frozen foods, especially if ordering early in the day for a delivery in late afternoon or evening.

It was never clear to me what they did with the items between bagging them up at the checkout and loading them into the delivery van.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 12:21 am

DeepHour wrote:
Used Iceland's delivery service occasionally a few years ago. Never had any issues, but was always conscious of the potential for problems with frozen foods, especially if ordering early in the day for a delivery in late afternoon or evening.

It was never clear to me what they did with the items between bagging them up at the checkout and loading them into the delivery van.

Well, you'd think they'd store them in a freezer in their warehouse. Surely they have a policy on this, as it is items customers have paid for.