Page 42 of 50 [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 50  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 7:21 pm

Axeman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Axeman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ironpony wrote:
The thing about people wanting to leave America... It seems that other countries still decide to copy America's politics though. For example, I live in Canada, and when America decided to go through this whole liberal vs conservative phase, Canada is now slowly doing it too more and more. When America legalized cannibis for example, Canada decided to as well. And the UK, has copied America's liberal vs conservative war too now it seems. So it seems that even if Americans wanted to leave, the rest of the world wants to copy American politics, so is there any really escaping America therefore really?

northern europe outside of the uk.

What Scandinavia?

yup. the nordic nations. incidentally, i like iceland also.

Let's see brutal winters and sky high taxes. Iceland is interesting though. It was settled by Vikings and the geographic isolation meant the old Norse language was preserved pretty much in tact. If you want to hear the language of Eric the Red it's the closest you can get.

working class people there pay not really much more if any, in taxes, than poor amuuuricans do, from what i've read. the only difference is, we disguise our taxes as user fees and premiums. if i [senior citizen] even was able to get health insurance from the commercial market here outside of medicare, it would cost me over a thou per month for a catastrophic plan with $20k deductible and with pre-existing conditions clauses. that would not happen to me as a Scandinavian citizen. if i had kidney stones and had to go to the ER, bye bye $20k and counting. THAT would NOT happen to me as a Scandinavian citizen.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 9:40 am

If Scandanavia is that good, are a lot of Americans trying to immigrate there then?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 9:42 am

ironpony wrote:
If Scandanavia is that good, are a lot of Americans trying to immigrate there then?

There's many reasons why there might be a low rate of emigration from the US to Scandinavia that don't involve whether or not Scandinavia is a desirable place to live.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:08 am

funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:

There's many reasons why there might be a low rate of emigration from the US to Scandinavia that don't involve whether or not Scandinavia is a desirable place to live.

I can think of many. Most Americans don't speak Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, or Finnish. The taxes are high there and well to do Americans wouldn't want to live there for that reason. Poor Americans probably couldn't manage or afford the move. And these nations probably aren't rolling out the welcome mat to people without jobs or skills. I'm betting their immigration laws are pretty strict as they should be

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:15 am

Axeman wrote:
I can think of many. Most Americans don't speak Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, or Finnish. The taxes are high there and well to do Americans wouldn't want to live there for that reason. Poor Americans probably couldn't manage or afford the move. And these nations probably aren't rolling out the welcome mat to people without jobs or skills. I'm betting their immigration laws are pretty strict as they should be

Exactly.

It's not as much of an upgrade for the effort, so there isn't a strong incentive to pass through the barriers.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:21 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Exactly.

It's not as much of an upgrade for the effort, so there isn't a strong incentive to pass through the barriers.

I've seen Danish people complaining about their countries very high taxes along with the fact that it's very hard to get a driver's license there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:24 am

You can't get a Hamburger Deluxe in Iceland for under $20.

The cost of living in much of Scandinavia is sky-high. The climate there is nice in summer, but rather to very cold in winter. Lots of snow everywhere. Winter tends to start early there, too. And it's very dark in winter.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:30 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You can't get a Hamburger Deluxe in Iceland for under $20.

The cost of living in much of Scandinavia is sky-high. The climate there is nice in summer, but rather to very cold in winter. Lots of snow everywhere. Winter tends to start early there, too. And it's very dark in winter.

Yes. Like four hours of daylight in December.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 11:29 am

I like where I’m at just fine.It would be grand to have some extra money,other than that I’m well pleased.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 11:42 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Some of your new laws are stupid.

Hey we got some stupid laws over here in UK. we got a Television tax. A Freakin Television Tax. I been dreamin of the idea of livin in america for many years, the fact there's no" tv license "is just 1 out of a 100 various reasons i would move. Not that i'm blind to USA bad points.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:23 pm

/\How do they know you have a tv?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:28 pm

Misslizard wrote:
/\How do they know you have a tv?

As soon you've stopped paying, they come over to your house and check the TV is disconnected. They did this with me, and it was fine because I just let them in. Apparently they really keep pestering people until they've looked, even though there's no obligation of the ex-licensee to let anybody into their home. I mean really, it shouldn't happen.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:31 pm

Seems like someone could just buy a tv from a private individual and never tell them.Black market TVs.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:35 pm

You're allowed to have a TV, but not allowed to watch any BBC channels. The TV license is for watching the BBC.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:52 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Hey we got some stupid laws over here in UK. we got a Television tax. A Freakin Television Tax. I been dreamin of the idea of livin in america for many years, the fact there's no" tv license "is just 1 out of a 100 various reasons i would move. Not that i'm blind to USA bad points.

Aren't streaming services making a BBC tv tax obsolete?

I am an American, and I pay $10/month for ACORN TV, which streams BBC shows.

Be the hero of your life.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:12 pm

I have Acorn and Britbox.
Less than a 20 a month and great shows.