Page 18 of 50 [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 50  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 10:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
ironpony wrote:
But does a person saying their a democrat really mean they get more help though? It's like the democrats have special member cards that gets them more help, compared to republicans, do they? For example if you go into a hospistal, they are not going to say "oh you're democrat, will give you a really huge discount. Unless I am missing something?

the democrats finally were able to overcome reactionary right-wing opposition to extending affordable health care to the working class for the first time ever. that was a big achievement. the GOP doesn't want pofolk to have health care PERIOD.

And like I said this wasn't affordable to many. I'm glad I was out of college by the time Obamacare became law it sure did screw over a lot of poor students like I used to be.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 4:08 pm

ironpony wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ironpony wrote:
But does a person saying their a democrat really mean they get more help though? It's like the democrats have special member cards that gets them more help, compared to republicans, do they? For example if you go into a hospistal, they are not going to say "oh you're democrat, will give you a really huge discount. Unless I am missing something?

the democrats finally were able to overcome reactionary right-wing opposition to extending affordable health care to the working class for the first time ever. that was a big achievement. the GOP doesn't want pofolk to have health care PERIOD.

But doesn't the GOP want health care for themselves too, or they just do not care about their own health for some reason?

they only want health care for their own class of people, namely wealthy or upwardly mobile.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 4:13 pm

Fixxer wrote:
I wish we could just move the the country that suits what we think is the way of life.

for a typical amuuurican to move to canada, they must meet strict criteria-
*net worth of $800k and/or a viable business plan
*usable university degree
*no diseases or syndromes such as autism
*no debts
*no criminal record so much as an unpaid parking ticket

during the last winter olympics up there, i read there were over 5000 amuuuricans blocked at the border because of things in their past like speeding tickets. the upshot is they don't really want us up there unless we can bring lotsa $$$$$$. they had their fill of us during the vietnam war.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 4:15 pm

Or marry a Canadian.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 4:16 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Fixxer wrote:
I wish we could just move the the country that suits what we think is the way of life.

for a typical amuuurican to move to canada, they must meet strict criteria-
*net worth of $800k and/or a viable business plan
*usable university degree
*no diseases or syndromes such as autism
*no debts
*no criminal record so much as an unpaid parking ticket

during the last winter olympics up there, i read there were over 5000 amuuuricans blocked at the border because of things in their past like speeding tickets. the upshot is they don't really want us up there unless we can bring lotsa $$$$$$. they had their f

ill of us during the vietnam war.

What if the US applied this to those coming in from Mexico LOL. I've been to Canada a few times and they never checked my records at the border.

Last edited by Axeman on 14 Sep 2021, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 4:17 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
The United States isn't the only country to have the whole economic inequality establishment run politics. Many other countries are like that to with countries like the UK and Russia being perfect examples of having similar establishment run politics. Despite all the shootings the United States has it is a very safe country and states like New Hampshire and Maine are the safest (look at total homicides not just gun homicides) despite having extremely lax gun laws. A lot of times in Europe they use something deadlier than a gun to carry attacks, just look at the November 2015 Paris attacks where they used bombs.

Most killings aren't the result of terrorist attacks though. While bombs might work for terrorist attacks it's pretty hard to mug someone with a pipebomb.

It's fair to point out that some portion of premeditated murders would still occur regardless of laws in regards to weapons; that doesn't mean that some weapons aren't especially useful in committing murder or other crimes.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 4:37 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It's fair to point out that some portion of premeditated murders would still occur regardless of laws in regards to weapons; that doesn't mean that some weapons aren't especially useful in committing murder or other crimes.

Mostly small handguns, which oddly are seldom the target of gun control activists vs the much less frequently misused semi auto rifles.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 4:56 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Mostly small handguns, which oddly are seldom the target of gun control activists vs the much less frequently misused semi auto rifles.

I have always found that a little odd about gun control activists in the US compared to here.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 5:28 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I have always found that a little odd about gun control activists in the US compared to here.

Well, your PM has been cracking down on rifles recently, it's largely an optics thing, it's easy to demonize scary looking weapons to a public that doesn't know much about them, even if they're actually rarely used in crime. The strategy was actually made explicit in the US in the 80s, IIRC it was Handgun Control Inc that had a memo about semi auto rifles discussing the public confusion between semi and full auto, and how that could be exploited to get a ban, which would be the stepping stone to an eventual ban on handguns. They've mostly learned to not say the quiet part out loud since then, with the occasional exception such as Beto O'Rourke or David Chipman.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 6:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ironpony wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ironpony wrote:

But doesn't the GOP want health care for themselves too, or they just do not care about their own health for some reason?

they only want health care for their own class of people, namely wealthy or upwardly mobile.

I don't know the American health system, but isn't it the case where the rich can afford the high private health costs, so it isn't an issue for them.
However, they still have to pay.
It isn't a case of the rich getting special privileges, surely. 8)

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 6:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Gun control=BOTH HANDS

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 9:36 am

Are the gun laws really the problem with gun violence in the US? There are other countries, where people can own guns like mine, and there doesn't seem to be near as much gun violence. However, in the US, there seems to be a lot more drama in the culture, especially political drama.

So are gun laws really the problem or is it more of a 'guns don't kill people, people with drama kill people' problem, and it's the drama that needs to be reformed and not the gun laws?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 9:43 am

ironpony wrote:
Are the gun laws really the problem with gun violence in the US? ...
No.  Gun laws do not kill people; people with guns kill people.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 9:56 am

Personally I'm not against people having the legal right to own guns because my mom owns a gun for protection.

But I do think we need to fix our laws to try and prevent unstable people like the ones who commit mass shootings from being able to easily obtain a gun.

That's never gonna happen though. As they say "Peace is not profitable."

♤ The Military

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 10:56 am

Considering in the USA the constant media bombardment of the younger generations with viollent action movies and the promotion of these. This is a birth to death method of teaching .
Easy accessible free TV stations are rife with this imagery . Pay TV ( media) popularizes these shows / movies. Then goes on through peoples lives to reinforce this type of mindset . This doesnt necessarily promote a peaceful society .

where ever you go ,there you are

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Sep 2021, 11:34 am

Come here - less guns more booze :lol:
It doesn't solve the problem of frustrated guys getting destructive but they mainly destruct themselves :skull: (and, unfortunately, their own families :( )

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>