Page 21 of 50 [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 50  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 4:53 am

auntblabby wrote:
you believe that fascist grover norquist? i don't, that is rubbish. i don't want that psycho strangling ME in his bathtub.

I don't see Grover Norquist anywhere on the masthead of where I got that figure, and I think you're a bit confused as to what a fascist is, they're not for smaller government.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 2:45 am

truth be told, no GOPer really is about smaller gov't. they want it big to support their priorities.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 4:17 am

auntblabby wrote:
truth be told, no GOPer really is about smaller gov't. they want it big to support their priorities.

That's unfortunately been true in recent years, but I think Norquist has been pretty consistent as a small government guy, which, again, sort of rules out fascism, as that term has a specific meaning beyond "person whose politics I don't like". I'm not even necessarily for small government these days, what I want is efficient government that stays out of my business as much as possible, while still providing a robust safety net, which neither party is really offering.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 10:09 pm

I voted conversative in the recent Canadian election. I do not consider myself a conservative and some of my beliefs are more liberal, it's just that a conversative government leaves people alone and does not interfere or impose things on them as much, as pointed out, so I tend to vote for them now more than before, because I just want them to stay out of my life more.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 10:12 pm

Dox47 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That's unfortunately been true in recent years, but I think Norquist has been pretty consistent as a small government guy, which, again, sort of rules out fascism, as that term has a specific meaning beyond "person whose politics I don't like". I'm not even necessarily for small government these days, what I want is efficient government that stays out of my business as much as possible, while still providing a robust safety net, which neither party is really offering.

I guess the 80s were recent to you.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 10:44 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
I would like to leave because its painfully obvious that things are going downhill fast here in the US. But where exactly would I go? I have zero job skills, no passport or income of my own, and I dont even know how to drive a vehicle.

So when the SHTF I'm pretty much going to be stuck here. But oh well, better me than you guys, right? :skull:

I'm in the same predicament re the job and vehicle thing.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 10:48 pm

Are things really that bad in the US? A few months ago Americans were saying it really wasn't and that it was just the media blowing things out of proportion. Unless things have gotten worse since then?

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 11:04 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:
Well, America MAY be flawed, but some countries are more flawed than it.

Don't get me started on countries that are run by Communism. 8O

Personally, I'd like to go to Canada, and see what it's like before I decide to move there or not.

I agree, and the fact that some of the Leftists in the US seem to be saying that we need to start embracing communism scares me just as much as the Trumpists who seem to be embracing a new form of facism.

The basic idea seems to be "Hey! Since capitalism has failed us, let us fight over replacing it with an ideology that's even more broken!" :roll:

Personally, I'm more scared of the former than the latter IMHO. :o

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:36 am

ironpony wrote:
Are things really that bad in the US? A few months ago Americans were saying it really wasn't and that it was just the media blowing things out of proportion. Unless things have gotten worse since then?

think about it, my friend- you have people refusing to lift a finger to assist in retarding the propagation of covid-19, and just about all those people happen to be sympathetic to the right wing, at the very least. when you have an entire political party opposed to basic science and basic empirical reality, then "things are that bad."

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:47 am

Oh okay but why is that happening with the right wing then or what is the reason behind it?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 1:14 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay but why is that happening with the right wing then or what is the reason behind it?

answer is both complicated and simple- it has its roots in technological change and ronnie raygun's ashcanning of The Fairness Doctrine, an FCC rule that mandated balanced editorial content in radio/tv broadcasting. then you have the Powell Memo which outlined sneaky ways de facto fascists could take over american society via the legal system, the righties ran with it and what you see today is the result. the GOP at local levels abused redistricting [gerrymandering] and locked out democrats nationwide, from any political power. too many bad supreme court decisions enabled more concentration of power in right-wing hands.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 1:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
ironpony wrote:

answer is both complicated and simple- it has its roots in technological change and ronnie raygun's ashcanning of The Fairness Doctrine, an FCC rule that mandated balanced editorial content in radio/tv broadcasting. then you have the Powell Memo which outlined sneaky ways de facto fascists could take over american society via the legal system, the righties ran with it and what you see today is the result. the GOP at local levels abused redistricting [gerrymandering] and locked out democrats nationwide, from any political power. too many bad supreme court decisions enabled more concentration of power in right-wing hands.

Oh but what does this have to with covid-19? Sorry, I'm just not understanding.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 1:38 am

ironpony wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Oh but what does this have to with covid-19? Sorry, I'm just not understanding.

science has been corrupted by the right wing, it is merely an instrument of propaganda/power now and not a public good. covid is an example of the right wing saying "who ya gonna believe- me or your lyin' eyes?"

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 1:40 am

But why would the right want to deny that covid exists?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 2:11 am

ironpony wrote:
But why would the right want to deny that covid exists?

that is a very good question. i struggle to understand their ultimate reasoning regarding. the website below explains it better than i ever could-
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/counte ... 19-online/

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 2:26 am

Okay thanks, that is an interesting. I would have to digest it more. I thought that republicans have just come to accept that covid is unbeatable is might as well just accept it and live with it, rather than keep on beating a dead horse. But democrats seem to keep on wanting to try to fix it and I am not sure why. They feel they can make a difference and change the world, but does it ever get to the point, where they ever feel like something is perhaps just not beatable and you have to accept it?

Although I could be wrong on the democrats motivation on covid, but as for the republicans, I thought they assumed they just couldn't win against covid and were just accepting it.