Page 22 of 50 [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 50  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 3:03 am

ironpony wrote:
Okay thanks, that is an interesting. I would have to digest it more. I thought that republicans have just come to accept that covid is unbeatable is might as well just accept it and live with it, rather than keep on beating a dead horse. But democrats seem to keep on wanting to try to fix it and I am not sure why. They feel they can make a difference and change the world, but does it ever get to the point, where they ever feel like something is perhaps just not beatable and you have to accept it?

Although I could be wrong on the democrats motivation on covid, but as for the republicans, I thought they assumed they just couldn't win against covid and were just accepting it.

that is the germ of it but not the whole picture. as that link explained it is a lot more convoluted than that.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 2:22 pm

Okay thanks. It's just it's very convoluted and I feel like something is missing, a certain piece of the puzzle that is the route cause of this whole p$%^ing contest between democrats and republicans. I mean I just don't why both sides have this whole "my d**k is bigger than your d**k" mentality.

I mean where I live, in Canada, me and my gf recently went to go vote in the election and we both voted for different parties. But we agree to disagree and we are still in a relationship and it doesn't bother us. The same with my two friends who are also married and both voted different. But it seems most American couples would break up or separate over something like this I am guessing?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 3:36 pm

Gotta wonder here , why Trump fast track a Covid Vaccine ? btw it may not be popular but i certainly do not believe this was a food handling accident , when the Lab at WuHan just happen to be working on that same virus at the same time. Bio warfare is a no no topic , with Governments around the world it seems. ever since we gave smallpox infected blankets to the Indians , way back when.
But i wasn't there at the time how would i know . Or the surrender treaties in WW2 when we got so many german scientists and the Allies got so many . there were bio warfare scientists in that mix.
From my repeated reading over the years.. But we got extra ones from Japan , whom were experimenting on Chinese, while they occupied a big piece of China. So am sceptically about poorly processed toods.

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 3:56 pm

Operation Paperclip? Yes. We had a few as well. Funny thing is that we saw no saucer shape UFO's until about a decade after Operation Paperclip.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 4:05 pm

ironpony wrote:
Okay thanks. It's just it's very convoluted and I feel like something is missing, a certain piece of the puzzle that is the route cause of this whole p$%^ing contest between democrats and republicans. I mean I just don't why both sides have this whole "my d**k is bigger than your d**k" mentality.

I mean where I live, in Canada, me and my gf recently went to go vote in the election and we both voted for different parties. But we agree to disagree and we are still in a relationship and it doesn't bother us. The same with my two friends who are also married and both voted different. But it seems most American couples would break up or separate over something like this I am guessing?

the difference is, your conservatives don't exactly emulate fascists and ours do. your basic sense of social decency and social services and general equity are not at stake like ours are, the amuuurican right wing is really anti-democracy at heart. your conservatives seem to have more a sense of general fair play than ours. your conservatives don't seem opposed to the very concept of universal health care, universal suffrage and universal pensions and such, but our conservatives are. those are the beginnings of the differences. your conservatives don't go around in private saying that only their class should be allowed civil rights and full citizenship.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 4:30 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Operation Paperclip? Yes. We had a few as well. Funny thing is that we saw no saucer shape UFO's until about a decade after Operation Paperclip.

Kinda interesting thing.......

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 6:08 pm

ironpony wrote:

So you and your girlfriend live in the same riding? How romantic, voting together!

So if you're asking about politicization of COVID-19, well you know the early days of the pandemic were very similar in the US and Canada. I know because I have family there. At first, the emphasis was on social distancing and deep cleaning of surfaces that might be touched by multiple people. So non-essential businesses were made to close etc. Not very long after, groups started protesting on the grounds the governments i.e. State governments had no right to impose these measures. The rationale being that US citizens are protected from such coercion by the US Constitution. You have to understand that the US Constitution is regarded as a holy document in the US. It didn't help that the President was running for reelection, so he championed the cause of those protesters. When public health officials came to understand that mask wearing is a valuable tool in slowing the spread of the virus, those same people protested any policy to compel them to wear masks, and of course the President supported them as well. That is how the pandemic became politicized. Then the same mentality even applied to being vaccinated, although Trump had a lot to do with the abundance of vaccines in the US (as compared to Canada early on). Anything somebody might be asked to do to help slow the rate of infection was seen as an assault on that person's personal freedom. That attitude was championed by the Republican Party and the news outlets they control. That is how politicization came about.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 6:48 pm

Perhaps the Corporate controlled media saw covid as a way to increase their ratings aswell. .
And still do and need to keep attention on it to maintain there profits. As long as it is in the spotlight
their profits are high. And those of the manufacturers of these vaccines . but these are just thoughts.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 6:52 pm

MaxE wrote:
ironpony wrote:

So you and your girlfriend live in the same riding? How romantic, voting together!

So if you're asking about politicization of COVID-19, well you know the early days of the pandemic were very similar in the US and Canada. I know because I have family there. At first, the emphasis was on social distancing and deep cleaning of surfaces that might be touched by multiple people. So non-essential businesses were made to close etc. Not very long after, groups started protesting on the grounds the governments i.e. State governments had no right to impose these measures. The rationale being that US citizens are protected from such coercion by the US Constitution. You have to understand that the US Constitution is regarded as a holy document in the US. It didn't help that the President was running for reelection, so he championed the cause of those protesters. When public health officials came to understand that mask wearing is a valuable tool in slowing the spread of the virus, those same people protested any policy to compel them to wear masks, and of course the President supported them as well. That is how the pandemic became politicized. Then the same mentality even applied to being vaccinated, although Trump had a lot to do with the abundance of vaccines in the US (as compared to Canada early on). Anything somebody might be asked to do to help slow the rate of infection was seen as an assault on that person's personal freedom. That attitude was championed by the Republican Party and the news outlets they control. That is how politicization came about.

Oh okay. Well how come in the US, the democrats seem to be anti-constitution then, if that's the case?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 7:03 pm

ironpony wrote:
But why would some of the right want to deny that covid exists?

Fixed it. 8)

It may sound like nitpicking, but it is important to add the qualifier "some of", imo.
Binarism is a big problem in political discussions.

Last edited by Pepe on 22 Sep 2021, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 7:14 pm

ironpony wrote:

It is an amazing political phenomenon in America.
I am not a spring chicken and haven't seen anything/k like it before anywhere in a democracy.
(Perhaps the Gough Whitlam era to some degree, during "The Dismissal" in Australia.)
The hyperpartisanship is staggering/irrational.
I attribute this to Trump and the woke generation.

ironpony wrote:

I wouldn't say most couples would break up, but yes, American politics is weird. 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 7:18 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

There were only blueprints of the German UFO at the end of the war, hence the "paperclip" holding the paperwork together. <joke> :mrgreen:

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 7:21 pm

Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:

I am not a spring chicken and haven't seen anything/k like it before anywhere in a democracy.
(Perhaps the Gough Whitlam era to some degree, during "The Dismissal" in Australia.)

ironpony wrote:

I wouldn't say most couples would break up, but yes, American politics is weird. 8O

Does the woke generation go beyond generation Z though, or what is the woke generation in terms of age?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 7:23 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ironpony wrote:

the difference is, your conservatives don't exactly emulate fascists and ours do. your basic sense of social decency and social services and general equity are not at stake like ours are, the amuuurican right wing is really anti-democracy at heart. your conservatives seem to have more a sense of general fair play than ours. your conservatives don't seem opposed to the very concept of universal health care, universal suffrage and universal pensions and such, but our conservatives are. those are the beginnings of the differences. your conservatives don't go around in private saying that only their class should be allowed civil rights and full citizenship.

Gross generalisations.
Life is not that simple, simples. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 7:27 pm

ironpony wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:

ironpony wrote:

Does the woke generation go beyond generation Z though, or what is the woke generation in terms of age?

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but the term "woke" is a concept that has been embraced by many fairly recently.
If you prefer, substitute "culture" for "generation".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 7:32 pm

Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:

ironpony wrote:

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but the term "woke" is a concept that has been embraced by many fairly recently.
If you prefer, substitute "culture" for "generation".

Aren't the only people still using the term woke conservative boomers in response to realizing they're out of touch?

Example: Stupid woke culture, all I did was insist on misgendering my grandkid repeatedly...

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う