Page 50 of 50 [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 12:15 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Also some things over there are the opposite to they are here. Like people think that quiet, expressionless people are dangerous, but in the UK it's the opposite - people trust the quiet people and they think that the more loud, charming, emotionally expressive people are more dangerous. So over here walking around in public keeping yourself to yourself and looking emotionless is actually the done thing, and if you're on your own and express a hint of emotion people stare at you.

Here in the U.S.A., the attitude that "quiet, expressionless people are dangerous" is not found everywhere. Here in NYC, it is (as far as I can tell, at least) accepted that people can legitimately have a variety of personalities.

There also are (or at least were) at least some places where being quiet and relatively un-expressive is the norm. This seemed to be the case in Iowa when my parents used to take me there occasionally when I was young.

I'm not sure what the attitudes about emotional expressiveness (or lack thereof) are in most parts of the country.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 26 Nov 2021, 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 12:19 pm

Axeman wrote:
The Bible Belt is generally seen as Georgia, the Carolinas, Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, and Arkansas, so yes.

Hmm, I thought the Bible Belt also included some parts of the MidWest, such as Iowa, as well as most of the South.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 12:29 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Yes, and the desire to throw black people in jail.

Not just black people.

My boyfriend, who is white (but with very curly hair) and has lived in various places around the U.S.A., has a history of being hassled by police merely for walking outdoors (rather than driving) without a cigarette in his hand. This doesn't happen here in NYC, but, due to his experiences elsewhere, my BF still has a phobia of walking outdoors without smoking.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 2:00 pm

Jakki wrote:
And the way things are going .....Their gonna cruxify me. musical notes implied here

They would only need a very small cross, for my little Chick-a-dee. 8O

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 9:02 pm

Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:
And the way things are going .....Their gonna cruxify me. musical notes implied here

Awe you say the nicest things Monsieur PePe..

where ever you go ,there you are

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 9:49 pm

Jakki wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Awe you say the nicest things Monsieur PePe..

I know... 8)