Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TiredMom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2021, 3:02 pm

My daughter (autistic) went to college to become a special education teacher. The department told her she couldn't be a special education teacher because she is autistic.
So she has done various other things, all related to teaching kids, and she has done a FANTASTIC job. So far all the kids she has worked with love her, and she has managed to teach most of them something useful. (Take THAT, special education department!)

Anyway, she is now starting her own tutoring service, catering to the needs of kids with autism, ADHD, ID, learning disabilities and other issues. If you have a kid in Central Illinois who might need her help, let me know.

If anyone else wants to help get her business more visibility, please go to her website:

https://not-your-typical-tutor.com

Just clicking will help.
Thanks.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 2:30 am

It should be illegal to discriminate based on a diagnosis. Good for her that she has started her own business! I don't have connections in her part of the world but I wish her all the best.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 5:58 am

I wasn’t told that when I went to college for speech pathology.

Maybe try another college?

I wish her luck in her new endeavor.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 12:59 am

TiredMom wrote:
My daughter (autistic) went to college to become a special education teacher. The department told her she couldn't be a special education teacher because she is autistic.

That's ridiculous. How long ago was this?

IMO, autistic and other neurodivergent special ed teachers should be considered highly desirable, so as to have a teaching staff that truly understands their students. If it were up to me, special ed teaching staff would be 50% neurodivergent, with ND teaching assistants paired with NT teachers and NT teaching assistants paired with ND teachers.)

TiredMom wrote:
So she has done various other things, all related to teaching kids, and she has done a FANTASTIC job. So far all the kids she has worked with love her, and she has managed to teach most of them something useful. (Take THAT, special education department!)

Anyway, she is now starting her own tutoring service, catering to the needs of kids with autism, ADHD, ID, learning disabilities and other issues. If you have a kid in Central Illinois who might need her help, let me know.

If anyone else wants to help get her business more visibility, please go to her website:

https://not-your-typical-tutor.com

I notice that her website does NOT mention, on the "About" page, that she herself is on the autism spectrum. I think it should mention this, and state (somehow -- I'm not sure how best to word this) that her experience of being autistic has given her a compassionate understanding of the difficulties faced by autistic and other neurodivergent kids.

TiredMom wrote:
Just clicking will help.
Thanks.

Is she okay with it being publicly mentioned that she's autistic? If so, please let me know and I'll mention her website on Twitter.

Also, one of my longterm aims to create a network of autistic small-business owners. To that end, I'd love to hear from her.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 9:39 pm

I am guest teaching at public schools right now. I have been taking a lot of the Special Education assignments and find they suit me too. I googled "autistic teacher of SPED" and found at least one. In any case, congrats to your sister! I hope it goes well!! It's definitely needed!