Tucker Carlson Doesn't Know What Bisexual Means.

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 9:19 pm

Quote:
What is the difference between intersex and hermaphrodite?
Image result for when was the term intersex first used
The main difference between hermaphrodite and intersex is that hermaphrodite is an organism possessing both types of gonads whereas intersex is an organism possessing several sex characteristics of both male and females such as chromosomes, gonads, sex hormones or genitals.19 Jan 2018

https://www.google.com/search?q=when+wa ... nt=gws-wiz

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 9:22 pm

Quote:
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word “intersex” has been around since the late 1700s. Before the twentieth century, the term was rare and referred to relations “between the sexes.” It was only in 1917 that a German geneticist named Richard Goldschmidt used the term in the way we understand it today.4 Dec 2018

https://www.them.us › Culture › intersex

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 9:27 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Hermaphrodite is reserved for animals where both sets of parts are functional.
In humans (along with other mammals) that's not possible, intersex is more appropriate.

Well, when I was young I think the term "hermaphrodite" referred to intersex people, but I am not sure about this.
I might research beyond what I have posted below.

Is "intersex" a newer more politically correct designation?

BTW, I might research is it is possible for those with both ovaries/womb and testicles to in theory self-inseminate.

Quote:
hermaphroditism, the condition of having both male and female reproductive organs. Hermaphroditic plants—most flowering plants, or angiosperms—are called monoecious, or bisexual. Hermaphroditic animals—mostly invertebrates such as worms, bryozoans (moss animals), trematodes (flukes), snails, slugs, and barnacles—are usually parasitic, slow-moving, or permanently attached to another animal or plant.

In humans, conditions that involve discrepancies between external genitalia and internal reproductive organs are described by the term intersex. Intersex conditions are sometimes also referred to as disorders of sexual development (DSDs). Such conditions are extremely rare in humans. In ovotesticular disorder (sometimes also called true hermaphroditism), an individual has both ovarian and testicular tissue. The ovarian and testicular tissue may be separate, or the two may be combined in what is called an ovotestis. Affected individuals have sex chromosomes showing male-female mosaicism (where one individual possesses both the male XY and female XX chromosome pairs). Most often, but not always, the chromosome complement is 46,XX, and in every such individual there also exists evidence of Y chromosomal material on one of the autosomes (any of the 22 pairs of chromosomes other than the sex chromosomes).

Individuals with a 46,XX chromosome complement usually have ambiguous external genitalia with a sizable phallus and are therefore often reared as males. However, they develop breasts during puberty and menstruate and in only rare cases actually produce sperm. In 46,XX intersex (female pseudohermaphroditism), individuals have male external genitalia but the chromosomal constitution and reproductive organs of a female. In 46,XY (male pseudohermaphroditism), individuals have ambiguous or female external genitalia but the chromosomal constitution and reproductive organs of a mal

It's more correct, I'm not sure there's anything political about desiring more precise language.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 12:09 am

Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
yes...earthworms have both male and female sex organs on the same animal. Thats normal for them. Earthworms are called "hermaphrodite".

In humans having both sets of genitalia is an abnormality. So it makes sense to have a different term for it for humans.

This makes no logical sense to me. :scratch:
But then, I am a simple skunk. 8)

How does it not make logical sense?

Having both sets of genitalia is the normal anatomy of earthworms. It would be a pathological condition if it occurred in an individual humans. So there is a difference.

What really IS irrational is that it matters to you. Why are you picking a fight about it?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 12:32 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
yes...earthworms have both male and female sex organs on the same animal. Thats normal for them. Earthworms are called "hermaphrodite".

In humans having both sets of genitalia is an abnormality. So it makes sense to have a different term for it for humans.

Having both sets of genitalia is the normal anatomy of earthworms. Its a pathological condition in humans. So there is a difference.

Quote:
So it makes sense to have a different term for it for humans.

Not if the humans involved qualify.
But I don't think intersex people only have gonads of both sexes. Based on what I have researched, intersex humans also have different sexual permutations including xx and xy chromosomes.
There hasn't been any suggestion through my initial research, so far, that this is the case.

If human intersex is only the result of having both XX and XY chromosomes, this would be the differentiation factor for the terms "intersex" and hermaphrodite.

The other issue I have is that humans are simply sentient, self-aware *animals*.
Other animals can be intersex, also, so the term is not specific to humanity unless it is specifically designed to be through arbitrary rulings.
But that is beyond the realm of logical considerations. 8)

Edit:
I just picked up that there has been a reference referring to some people, with "ovotesticular disorder" as being "True Hermaphrodites". 8)

Last edited by Pepe on 05 Sep 2021, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 12:37 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Hermaphrodite is reserved for animals where both sets of parts are functional.
In humans (along with other mammals) that's not possible, intersex is more appropriate.

Well, when I was young I think the term "hermaphrodite" referred to intersex people, but I am not sure about this.
I might research beyond what I have posted below.

Is "intersex" a newer more politically correct designation?

BTW, I might research is it is possible for those with both ovaries/womb and testicles to in theory self-inseminate.

Quote:
hermaphroditism, the condition of having both male and female reproductive organs. Hermaphroditic plants—most flowering plants, or angiosperms—are called monoecious, or bisexual. Hermaphroditic animals—mostly invertebrates such as worms, bryozoans (moss animals), trematodes (flukes), snails, slugs, and barnacles—are usually parasitic, slow-moving, or permanently attached to another animal or plant.

In humans, conditions that involve discrepancies between external genitalia and internal reproductive organs are described by the term intersex. Intersex conditions are sometimes also referred to as disorders of sexual development (DSDs). Such conditions are extremely rare in humans. In ovotesticular disorder (sometimes also called true hermaphroditism), an individual has both ovarian and testicular tissue. The ovarian and testicular tissue may be separate, or the two may be combined in what is called an ovotestis. Affected individuals have sex chromosomes showing male-female mosaicism (where one individual possesses both the male XY and female XX chromosome pairs). Most often, but not always, the chromosome complement is 46,XX, and in every such individual there also exists evidence of Y chromosomal material on one of the autosomes (any of the 22 pairs of chromosomes other than the sex chromosomes).

Individuals with a 46,XX chromosome complement usually have ambiguous external genitalia with a sizable phallus and are therefore often reared as males. However, they develop breasts during puberty and menstruate and in only rare cases actually produce sperm. In 46,XX intersex (female pseudohermaphroditism), individuals have male external genitalia but the chromosomal constitution and reproductive organs of a female. In 46,XY (male pseudohermaphroditism), individuals have ambiguous or female external genitalia but the chromosomal constitution and reproductive organs of a mal

It's more correct, I'm not sure there's anything political about desiring more precise language.

Did you notice this line from the quote?
Quote:
In ovotesticular disorder (sometimes also called true hermaphroditism), an individual has both ovarian and testicular tissue.

In the context presented, this would mean that some humans qualify for the term "hermaphrodite", surely, assuming my understanding of what was presented is correct. 8)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 12:41 am

Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Having both sets of genitalia is the normal anatomy of earthworms. Its a pathological condition in humans. So there is a difference.

Quote:

But I don't think intersex people only have gonads of both sexes. Based on what I have researched, intersex humans also have different sexual permutations including xx and xy chromosomes.
There hasn't been any suggestion through my initial research, so far, that this is the case.

If human intersex is only the result of having both XX and XY chromosomes, this would be the differentiation factor for the terms "intersex" and hermaphrodite.

The other issue I have is that humans are simply sentient, self-aware *animals*.
Other animals can be intersex, also, so the term is not specific to humanity unless it is specifically designed to be through arbitrary rulings.

Not that it matters to me, but I can see a reason for a difference in terms.

Being born without legs is normal for fish. Not so for mammals, like humans. So the condition of absence of legs could have different terms in species in which it is pathology than it is in species in which it is the normal anatomy. In one case its a zoological descriptor, in another species its a medical condition.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 1:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Quote:

Not that it matters to me, but I can see a reason for a difference in terms.

Being born without legs is normal for fish. Not so for mammals, like humans. So the condition of absence of legs could have different terms in species in which it is pathology than it is in species in which it is the normal anatomy. In one case its a zoological descriptor, in another species its a medical condition.

I understand the point you were making, in both posts. 8)