Anyone figure out the best Web Hosting companies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

sitko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2021, 7:02 am

Hi,
I think I must have some sort of "block" that disables me from finding a good web hosting company. I've searched and searched, and I find companies, but I have no clue if they are good, or what.

So, if you've set up a website (preferably with Microsoft stack web development (SQL Server, etc.), please let me know.

Thanks

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 9:55 am

In general I would make a shortlist of those that meet some rough requirements like budget at my system requirements and reliability, sign up for a free trial and deploy staging copy to each of them to make my final choice.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 3:45 am

I personally wouldn't touch "Microsoft stack web development" with a ten-foot pole. Among various other disadvantages, Microsoft anything is WAY more malware-prone than anything Linux-based or BSD-based.

For my basic website I use DreamHost (which is Linux-based). For more serious web development, on a FreeBSD-based system, my BF and I use RootBSD. For a HIPAA-compliant EMR (electronic medical records) web app for our main client (a small medical lab), we use NewTek.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 11:33 am

I just noticed some old posts and I would like to say you are making a HUGE mistake sticking with MS stack just because this is something you are familiar with.

Modern web-development infrastructure got magnitudes or order easier. Learning some new platform, not so much programming language, but deployment infrastructure totally worth it. Some stuff that took me several months to build and deploy 10 years ago, now takes literally couple days to build and deploy with heroku, AWS or google cloud platform. And this is not something I put much effort to learn, I'm not any good with Go, Python or Ruby. It's just toolchains are very good, there are project structure templates, scaffolding, refactoring tools, package management, testing and deployment infrastructure included as standard libraries and out of the box utilities. It might feel overwhelming, but the whole point of all this stuff is to make development as easy and effortless as possible.