Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 7:56 am

Batman star Ben Affleck's The Accountant 2 teased by director

Quote:
Batman star Ben Affleck's The Accountant is getting a sequel – and now possibly a third film.

Bosses have been keen on a follow up to the surprise 2016 action-thriller hit for years, but now that a sequel has been greenlit, director Gavin O'Connor has admitted one of the reasons he wanted to come back for a second was so he could do a third.

O'Connor told Cinema Blend that "we literally just closed that deal. We're doing The Accountant again."

In the film, Affleck stars as an autistic mathematical genius who, while helping criminals fix their books, finds himself caught up in a violent conflict with the authorities.

O'Connor said he really wanted to do another film that would explore Jon Bernthal's character Braxton a bit more, and his relationship with his brother Christian (Affleck).

"So, I've always wanted to do three because what, the second one's going to be more with – we're going to integrate his brother into the story. So there'll be more screen time for Bernthal in the second one.

"And then the third movie's going to be, I call it, Rain Man on steroids. The third movie is going to be the two brothers, this odd couple. The third one is going be a buddy picture."

The original film was the first Hollywood film since ‘Rain Man’ to have a lead Autistic character played by an A list actor. The character does use the stereotypes of white male with a really good STEM skill. Despite those drawbacks the character did advance autism representation by showing the autistic character having a career, stimming, and flashbacks to group home or facility of some sort.

The sequel will be released into a world where there have been a number of autistic lead characters and into a more demanding post ‘Music’ world where autistics are not going to appreciative just to have the lead be autistic an where a segment of the Autistic filmgoers will reject the movie solely on the basis that the Autistic lead is played by a neurotypical. If or how this is dealt with interests me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman