Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 12:56 pm

Hi, longtime member here who didnt start posting regularly till less than a year ago.

I have been homeless most of the last ~5 years, cept for time with my Mom, which may have been the worst and hardest part of the whole experience.

Anyway, I was posting in ass-p's tribute thread as a fellow hobo and drama queen, but started making it all about me as queens do, so made my own thread.

The_Znof wrote:
so its time to try temp work again, thinking they will give me broom pusher or flaggers helper if Im lucky -

but its front desk at a womans' low cost housing in the DTES.

anyway, turns out it is a unisex shelter, and the shifts are available to me till I quit or get fired.

Also, the people who run the shelter also run decent low income buildings, so if things dont go to s**t quite fast, I may be housed soon.

I have worked two shifts, first suspected autist discovered on second shift.

Since the guests may not appreciate being immortalised here by me, I will keep details vague, and favor autism related posts.

At first I was quite scared of having to narcan people, but after reading up to get the ticket feel much better.

Perhaps I could make it my special interest, to be a good anti-overdose emt around here.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 1:15 pm

Good on you for wanting to find a special interest and one that potentially saves lives. The image that comes to mind is out of a book called "in the realm of hungry ghosts" by Dr Gabor Mate' . It's definitely worth a read and I suggest it would be useful as it was for me at least interesting as I haven't finished reading it yet. I understand homeless well and many of the complex issues that arise from it. I was homeless for a couple of years until the last 12months . I'd been homeless since the end 2017 to crisis accommodation in 2020. Been unsettled in my permanent housing since Dec if 2020 though till now.

Anyway point is your post reminds me of these times and it's good to hear your doing well. Keep safe

Dani.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 2:17 pm

Congratulations and I hope things stay good and keep improving!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 11:14 pm

Znof, I hope this works out well for you.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 4:57 am

Seems like you get to do sometime with your time and you might actually help others too.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 1:25 pm

Thank you all for the encouragement. :heart:

Danusaurus wrote:
Good on you for wanting to find a special interest and one that potentially saves lives. The image that comes to mind is out of a book called "in the realm of hungry ghosts" by Dr Gabor Mate' . It's definitely worth a read and I suggest it would be useful as it was for me at least interesting as I haven't finished reading it yet.

Dani.

Due to careless wording I made it sound like I don't have any special interests already.

I have not read Mate yet, but he should fit right in with my reading interests, thanks for the pointer

Annavyney
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2021, 6:08 pm

Thanks for the information.