Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 8:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If I move to a “red” state, I won’t try to change the culture. I’ll just be me. If they don’t like it, tough nuggies :P

Honestly as someone who lives in a red state I think people in this country always exaggerate how horrible it is here. Yes there are bad things about states like Georgia and Florida but there are also plenty of good things.

Like that quote from the movie Cars: "Well even here in 'Hillbilly Hell' we have standards" :P

♤ The Military

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 12:16 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
There are lots of news stories about people *fleeing* blue states of California, and New York.

-overcrowded
-crushing taxes
-long commutes
-expensive cost of living

Texas has higher taxes than many people think.Although it does makes sense to move here from California if you are making a lot of money.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 12:41 am

there is such a thing as "quality of life" in terms of cultural amenities, i live in a relatively low-cost [but extremely right wing/extremely white to rival the deep south] pocket in western washington, a blood splotch in a sea of blue. i moved here as it was all i could afford, but i am a fish outta water here just the same. i get snide looks from the locals because i don't look or sound like they do. there is no real culture out here other than shootin' and 2-strokin' a big noise. useta live in tacoma, it was for the longest time a working class de facto suburb of seattle, but it has more culture in its little pinkie than my neck of the woods ever had in its entire being.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
there is such a thing as "quality of life" in terms of cultural amenities, i live in a relatively low-cost [but extremely right wing/extremely white to rival the deep south] pocket in western washington, a blood splotch in a sea of blue. i moved here as it was all i could afford, but i am a fish outta water here just the same. i get snide looks from the locals because i don't look or sound like they do. there is no real culture out here other than shootin' and 2-strokin' a big noise. useta live in tacoma, it was for the longest time a working class de facto suburb of seattle, but it has more culture in its little pinkie than my neck of the woods ever had in its entire being.

Ya i can see where you are coming from buddy.....there is absolutely no quality of life where i live in Texas and basically no amenties.And boring.It has a low cost of living compared to Cali or NY but we still get quite a bit of non-native Texans who come looking for work.But most get out as soon as they can once they make their money.Most Californias who move to Texas move to places like DFW and Austin.There are quite a few blue area of Texas despite the stereotype.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:09 am

auntblabby wrote:

I'm sorry you have to put up with that auntblabby. :(

♤ The Military

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:13 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Ya i can see where you are coming from buddy.....there is absolutely no quality of life where i live in Texas and basically no amenities. And boring. It has a low cost of living compared to Cali or NY but we still get quite a bit of non-native Texans who come looking for work. But most get out as soon as they can once they make their money. Most Californians who move to Texas move to places like DFW and Austin. There are quite a few blue area of Texas despite the stereotype.

i have relations in texas. i loved san antonio and would love to visit again in the future, i was stationed at ft. Sam Houston which is on the edge of town. it was at the time, "purple." not sure what it is now. never been to Austin but it also seems worth visiting. san antonio was electronic geek heaven with lots of gray market stores with bargains in them, such as Ohm Speakers selling for a fraction of their new price. they sold a lot of those. this was circa 1985. lordy i miss that time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:14 am

King0fSpades wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

thank you. we both deserve more refined culture close to us, don't we? :wtg:

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:16 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Ya i can see where you are coming from buddy.....there is absolutely no quality of life where i live in Texas and basically no amenties.And boring.It has a low cost of living compared to Cali or NY but we still get quite a bit of non-native Texans who come looking for work.But most get out as soon as they can once they make their money.Most Californias who move to Texas move to places like DFW and Austin.There are quite a few blue area of Texas despite the stereotype.

There are a few Blue places in Georgia too like Atlanta and Savannah. South Georgia however is a bore.

Florida is like it's own thing though. It's very big on tourism because of the beaches, restaurants, bars, and resorts. Plus we have lot of retired seniors and college kids who flock down here and we get immigrants from the Islands that are close to Florida like Cuba and Haiti.

Ironically its like most of the people you meet in Florida are rarely ever from Florida and it definitely doesn't feel like the rest of the south.

♤ The Military

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:17 am

florida is a unique place due to the vast tourism from all over the world. Kissimmee [where disney world is] was not a very friendly place, however.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:19 am

auntblabby wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Indeed :wtg: maybe some day I'll either get to move to Boston Massachusetts with my sister or move back to Pensacola Florida. :heart:

Although the idea of living in Florida between Robert DeSantis and this Covid outbreak kinda scares me. :|

♤ The Military

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
florida is a unique place due to the vast tourism from all over the world. Kissimmee [where disney world is] was not a very friendly place, however.

Know what I love most about Florida? It's where The Golden Girls lived! 8)

♤ The Military

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:23 am

King0fSpades wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Indeed :wtg: maybe some day I'll either get to move to Boston Massachusetts with my sister or move back to Pensacola Florida. :heart: Although the idea of living in Florida between Robert DeSantis and this Covid outbreak kinda scares me. :|

IMHO better off in boston for that reason alone. but boston is very high cost of living.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:29 am

auntblabby wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Ya i can see where you are coming from buddy.....there is absolutely no quality of life where i live in Texas and basically no amenities. And boring. It has a low cost of living compared to Cali or NY but we still get quite a bit of non-native Texans who come looking for work. But most get out as soon as they can once they make their money. Most Californians who move to Texas move to places like DFW and Austin. There are quite a few blue area of Texas despite the stereotype.

i have relations in texas. i loved san antonio and would love to visit again in the future, i was stationed at ft. Sam Houston which is on the edge of town. it was at the time, "purple." not sure what it is now. never been to Austin but it also seems worth visiting. san antonio was electronic geek heaven with lots of gray market stores with bargains in them, such as Ohm Speakers selling for a fraction of their new price. they sold a lot of those. this was circa 1985. lordy i miss that time.

San Antone is awesome.Austin has become a very popular place now but its not as appealing as it once was because cost of living and crows and traffic has gone way up there.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 2:37 am

like much of the lone star state, san antone had one good month in the spring, and one good month in the fall. the rest of the time was a challenge to withstand the weather.