Why Satanists may be the last, best hope to save abortion..

Page 1 of 14 [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 10:59 pm

Why Satanists may be the last, best hope to save abortion rights in Texas

https://www.salon.com/2021/09/04/why-sa ... s-in-texas

Using religion for good for a change = 8)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 11:03 pm

Make it the official religion of Texas

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 11:46 pm

Satan probably would feel more at home in Jim Crow texas though, but I imagine he'd still be happy to accept little aborted fetus's (better than nothing)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 12:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
Satan probably would feel more at home in Jim Crow texas though, but I imagine he'd still be happy to accept little aborted fetus's (better than nothing)

Not according to Satanists.. as Satanists don't believe Satan exists; nor any higher power. Devil imagery used by Satanists is merely to mock Christians' belief in a higher power. Satanists are perhaps more aptly named "humanists," as they believe we're it - we're responsible for ourselves and our lots in life, not some divine power.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 12:40 am

Man, that'll really show those Christians, it's not like they already associated abortion with Satan or anything.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 1:47 am

goldfish21 wrote:

Not a religion so much as people who think Satan is sexy cool. I've read the Satanic Bible. It's message is pretty much enjoy your life in the present and in the flesh.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 2:01 am

Satanists is THE reason why I became a Christian. Up until the age of 22 I used to be an atheist. But then, at the age of 22, I first learned about satanists (I never heard of a concept before then) so it really shocked me. But then I noticed two things:

a) Christians claim that whoever is not a Christian is a satanist

b) Satanists claim that they don't believe in satan, and they are just using satan as a symbol of sorts.

So I noticed that both "a" and "b" sort of equates atheists with satanists, although with totally different agendas. Since I didn't want to be anything close to satanism, I decided to believe in God.

In fact, at the beginning of my struggle I kept saying "yes I am an atheist but in the Christian-satanist struggle I will side with Christians, as I am sure other atheists would do as well". But then when the above "a" and "b" seemed to suggest otherwise, it just totally drove me crazy, and then I was like "okay, I don't like either Christianity or satanism, but since I am being forced to fit into that dichotomy, lets go for lesser evil and be a Christian".

So yeah, based on this isolated example, satanists could scare people into being Christian and, therefore, being anti-abortionists (in total contrast to what this thread states).

Although the latter doesn't really apply to me since, in my case, I was opposed to abortion even back when I was atheist. To me, I just am opposed to hurting living beings that can't defend themselves. And I don't need to believe in God in order to feel sad for living things being hurt.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 2:04 am

goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Not according to Satanists.. as Satanists don't believe Satan exists; nor any higher power. Devil imagery used by Satanists is merely to mock Christians' belief in a higher power. Satanists are perhaps more aptly named "humanists," as they believe we're it - we're responsible for ourselves and our lots in life, not some divine power.

Yeah I know. I was just being ironic.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 2:08 am

QFT wrote:
In fact, at the beginning of my struggle I kept saying "yes I am an atheist but in the Christian-satanist struggle I will side with Christians, as I am sure other atheists would do as well".

If you sincerely follow Christ's teaching then it's not necessary to judge other peoples choices. Satanists do stuff in the privacy of their homes. They don't hurt you or me.

I would worry about your self.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 2:58 am

QFT wrote:
To me, I just am opposed to hurting living beings that can't defend themselves.

So am I but that isn't actually a very large piece of the whole political abortion debate. It's only the emotional wedge. Pragmatically, we can save a lot more of the unborn with measures that conservatives (with which the political pro-life movement has aligned) oppose. So pragmatic me knows that the law is not at all the most effective nor compassionate way to handle the question. Off topic so I won't dig deeper into all that here, but I have been passionate about the law being the wrong tool to save babies for 40 years, but we have data now that we didn't back then so now I can finally prove it.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 9:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
QFT wrote:
In fact, at the beginning of my struggle I kept saying "yes I am an atheist but in the Christian-satanist struggle I will side with Christians, as I am sure other atheists would do as well".

If you sincerely follow Christ's teaching then it's not necessary to judge other peoples choices. Satanists do stuff in the privacy of their homes. They don't hurt you or me.

1) I was scared of Satanists BEFORE I started to follow Christ teaching. After all, this fear is what got me to follow Chrit. Cause happens BEFORE the effect. Which means I didn't follow Christ teaching as of yet.

2) They set up churches of satan. So no, its not in the privacy of their homes.

3) Even if they aren't hurting me directly, they are praying to the ultimate source of evil. So if you believe at all in the power of prayer, then yes praying to ultimate evil would hurt people. The only problem is that, like I said, I was atheist back when I first heard of them so I didn't believe in the power of prayer. But the concept of praying to ultimate evil was still too much for me to stomach.

4) I heard that satanists do perform some child sacrifices and things like that. I have no idea how true this though. For example back in the middle ages they accused Jews of those things and that was false. So its possible satanists don't do that either. But I am not too sure, haven't researched it. And even if its not true, I would say 2 and 3 is bad enough.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 10:01 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
QFT wrote:
To me, I just am opposed to hurting living beings that can't defend themselves.

So am I but that isn't actually a very large piece of the whole political abortion debate. It's only the emotional wedge. Pragmatically, we can save a lot more of the unborn with measures that conservatives (with which the political pro-life movement has aligned) oppose. So pragmatic me knows that the law is not at all the most effective nor compassionate way to handle the question. Off topic so I won't dig deeper into all that here, but I have been passionate about the law being the wrong tool to save babies for 40 years, but we have data now that we didn't back then so now I can finally prove it.

I can't speak for others, I can only speak for myself. But yes, I would be totally in favor of any policy that would save embryos, regardless of whether it would be "right wing" or "left wing". Now, can you be more explicit? What policy are you thinking of?

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 10:25 am

QFT wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
QFT wrote:

1) I was scared of Satanists BEFORE I started to follow Christ teaching. After all, this fear is what got me to follow Chrit. Cause happens BEFORE the effect. Which means I didn't follow Christ teaching as of yet.

3) Even if they aren't hurting me directly, they are praying to the ultimate source of evil. So if you believe at all in the power of prayer, then yes praying to ultimate evil would hurt people. The only problem is that, like I said, I was atheist back when I first heard of them so I didn't believe in the power of prayer. But the concept of praying to ultimate evil was still too much for me to stomach.

4) I heard that satanists do perform some child sacrifices and things like that. I have no idea how true this though. For example back in the middle ages they accused Jews of those things and that was false. So its possible satanists don't do that either. But I am not too sure, haven't researched it. And even if its not true, I would say 2 and 3 is bad enough.

LaVey type Satanists as in the Church of Satan most certainly do not perform human sacrifice or anything like that.

Last edited by Axeman on 05 Sep 2021, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 11:02 am

goldfish21 wrote:

I'm not religious but very much anti abortion. I am in fact an atheist and I view religion as entertainment at best.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 11:10 am

goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

You speak of LaVey type Satanists. They don't represent all Satanists.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 12:45 pm

QFT wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
QFT wrote:

1) Why would you fear Satanists any more than Christians or Buddhists, Sikhs, Hindus, or Jews? Certainly Christians have killed a lot more people than possibly any other religious faithful group. Muslims may be up there, too, but I certainly don't recall ever hearing about a Satanic Crusade murdering people for years on end..

2) Like any religion, they're free to setup churches and congregate. Churches and temples aren't needed, though. People can meet and pray or exchange thoughts anywhere - especially if you're of a religious belief system that God or gods ARE everywhere. Wiccans might have this nailed down the best as the Earth and nature can be worshipped from anywhere on the planet. 8)

3) Satanists don't worship Satan because they don't even believe Satan exists. That's Christianity's explanation of Satanism to you to make you feel like other religions are the boogieman and you should continue giving your time, energy, and 10% of your income to the Church. Rule and control by fear and misinformation, nothing more.

4) No, Satanists don't perform child sacrifices. They meet and talk about Satanic things.. like being a good person, working hard, taking care of your family, supporting your friends, protecting your spouse, keeping healthy, fit, and active, learning new skills to be of higher service to yourself and your community, helping your like minded people first believers in their times of need etc.

It seems that Satanists using devil imagery has done quite the marketing job if Christians mostly believe they're devil worshipping ritual sacrificers.. Ironic, considering the symbol of human sacrifice that is Jesus' crucifixion that many Christians proudly display in public as a piece of jewellery around their necks.

Anyways, hopefully common sense prevails and Texas' Satanists are able to save women's reproductive health rights from whomever seeks to control them.