Making It Safe for Employees to Disclose Their Disabilities

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 1:01 am

From Make It Safe for Employees to Disclose Their Disabilities by Laurie Henneborn, Harvard Business Review, June 28, 2021:

Quote:
I’ll start with the good news: Many organizations are employing a greater number of persons with disabilities than ever before. Many have committed to a deeper understanding of what inclusion means for persons with disabilities, subgroups therein (such as persons with neurological disorders), and other communities (race, gender, LGBTQ, and so on) and have been taking steps to create supportive business climates for all. Many are doing so because they’re aware that there is a proven business case for hiring persons with disabilities. Many believe they’ve made significant progress: In Accenture’s most recent global survey on the topic, 67% of the nearly 1,750 business executive respondents said they believe their companies support employees with disabilities, including having the right technologies in place to do so and the right environment.

Now here’s the bad news: Despite this clear progress, our survey also found that just 20% of the 5,870 employees in the survey who had a disability agreed that their workplace culture is fully committed to helping them thrive and succeed. Meanwhile, 76% of employees with disabilities in the survey report not fully disclosing their disabilities at work (e.g., to HR, colleagues, supervisors/managers). And 80% of C-suite executives and their direct reports who have disabilities are also not disclosing them.

It’s a debilitating circle. Business leaders need to learn more about what they can do to create a more inclusive climate for employees with disabilities in order to take effective action. Yet, as our research and related interviews revealed, employees with disabilities fear that disclosing will lead to outcomes such as retaliation, slower progression, and less meaningful roles. And for most, disclosing is a very personal and perhaps difficult decision even in supportive environments.

[...]

It’s important for companies and for workers to change the way we think (and talk) about disabilities, permanently. Our research found that employees who do disclose their disability at work are 30% more engaged — in terms of career satisfaction and aspirations, confidence, and a sense of belonging — than those who don’t.

What are the best steps a business can take to create a culture in which employees with disabilities feel safe to disclose? The answers emerged from our survey, in which we also examined more than 200 workplace culture factors to see which impact employee engagement most. Eight stood out in particular for employees with disabilities. Interestingly, five of these eight also correlate significantly with a climate in which persons with disabilities feel safe about disclosing their condition.

[...]

1. Bold Role Models

[...]

2. Enterprise-Wide Training on Inclusive Practices

[...]

3. The Space to Be Creative

[...]

4. Formal Mental Wellness Policies and Programs

[...]

5. Supportive and Supported Employee Resource Groups

Thanks to Rebecca Cokley for calling attention to this article on Twitter.

Last edited by magz on 06 Sep 2021, 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.: Title edited on author's request

traven
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 2:10 am

Im not sure, those things tend to disqualify smaller business compared to the big corporations, (side track, the big can §§ to specific targets and get specific exceptions, bureaucrazy loves big business)
Laws are notably pre-written by lobbies with an eye for their interests, mark how subventions tend to flow into big pockets again, who wrote the rules.

From here, since roughly the banker crisis, corp.chains change their name regularly, lay off existing staff and take the subvention hires, for the time limit, then renew, so everyone is incompetent, & the client a nuissance that needs to be bullied into compliance.
And more recent and evident, making profit seems irrelevant, making propaganda seems the §§market,
bow and kneel, specially for stupid, and/or dishonest.
Adore the lie, lies rule and if you don't comply; dehumanisation and the great new mob-rule.

Or there's also :mrgreen: the slippery slope, that's usually the goal, first "make it "safe"", then make it mandatory, what could go wrong 8O
(wait till having more than median qi becomes a disorder, can't have all that wrongthink going on)

But, but, think about the wellness factor and the cos-medic (cosmetic+medical) grand parts,
who could have thought that the ad- financing of news would not produce the news 8)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 11:13 pm

Very small businesses are generally exempt from employment anti-discrimination laws. (See The Small Firm Exemption and the Single Employer Doctrine in Employment Discrimination Law Employment Discrimination Law.)

Be that as it may, arguments about the merits of anti-discrimination laws, or any other business-related government policies, are really off-topic anywhere except in PPR (or perhaps the Autism Politics forum).

The purpose of this current thread isn't to be a place to voice opinions about employment anti-discrimination laws or other business-related government regulations. Please start a separate thread in PPR if you want to discuss these. You have my permission to quote my posts, from this current thread, in your OP of a new PPR thread on this or any other related political/economic topic, should you wish to do so.

The purposes of this current thread are:

1) To share what is hopefully the emerging business-school wisdom about how employers can maximize the productivity of disabled employees, and

(2) To discuss the practical implications for autistic job-seekers (the main target audience of the "Work and finding a Job" section of WP).

EDIT: To the moderators: I would appreciate it very much if you could change the title of this thread from "Make It Safe for Employees to Disclose Their Disabilities" to "Making It Safe for Employees to Disclose Their Disabilities," i.e. please change the first word in the thread title from "Make" to "Making."

I think the current title resulted in at least one person misinterpreting the thread as being about advocacy of government policy. I think "Making..." would sound less like a political advocacy thread.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 10:21 am

Those are sobering statistics. TY for the share.

I wonder what culture on Earth, if any, allows leaders (and workers) to openly have differences and disabilities (with mostly positive consequences). Can I move? I have started marking "disabled" on applications, but I'm not saying in what way. My "quirkiness" is apparent during long/intense interviews (I could mask for a short one, but would I want to?). That said, I enrolled with a recruiter who will share my strengths and needs (not necessarily my diagnosis). I also am toying with the idea of applying to one of those ASD company programs... Hopefully one of these three ways will help me find a decent (inclusive) workplace.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 10:39 am

One of the most prominent practical implications for autistic job-seekers is that discrimination may be subtle; leadership may be sincerely gung-ho about treating people fairly, but getting co-workers fully onboard with official company policy is not as easy as it seems.

Sometimes, a person who seems to have memorized the Employee Handbook and can quote the chapter on Workplace Discrimination may have only concealed his or her prejudices.  They may apply their prejudices against co-workers as "accidental" micro-aggressive acts while denying any intentional wrong-doing.  It may take years for the higher-ups to realize this problem exists, even if it is reported, and it may take even longer for them to act.

One can never be 100% certain that each and every co-worker is on the level when expressing support for corporate anti-discrimination policies because it is easy to simply memorize those policies and repeat them back whenever the situation calls for it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.