Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 5:10 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Well i could theoretically apply to a work from home job that did not require a job coach but I wanted to work from home and my counselor said basically something to the effect that i have no hope of getting any job except a job flipping burgers with no experience.

Don't listen to stupid counsellors, just search for jobs that fit you, match your strengths and weaknesses, consistently work on improving your resume and send applications every day. Make the numbers work for you. 10000 applications at 1% chance of getting a job means 100 jobs you get. And signup for online course, start learning some practical skills in whatever field you like.

what kind of online class would you sign up for?Sadly there are less than 100 companies in this area I could work at and be a good fit at.My cousnesor think im entitled and wrong for wanting to make a living wage as a 4 year college degree holder....I am like isnt that the whole point of a bachelor's degree for most people.

Does she know a helpful, useful person could have her job and actually do it properly? It's a shame you have to deal with that sort of mentality from the person who's supposed to be helping you.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 5:11 pm

SharonB wrote:
You're in a small town, so I'm thinking some remote (online) data entry or something. You wouldn't make much at first, but you would start gaining experience and building your confidence. My BFF and I both had "crap" jobs after my BSEE and her Masters. I temped doing paperwork -once did inventory: counting buttons which I remember I liked but wasn't very good at it (kept recounting); she did data entry (for a retail catalog and then for medical). It took us near four years to build our confidence/resume but it was worth it. We both happened upon jobs with ND key persons who saw the strengths of our ASD and hired us. It's ironic that we couldn't sustain McJobs, but we could sustain careers working with data.

BTW volunteering has been a way for me to "branch" out. While I am between jobs this year, I found a great thrift store to volunteer at - quiet, dimly lit, community-oriented (inclusive; seems to have lots of ND volunteers) ... perfect for me. I'm also nervous about can I find a "fit" again... time will tell... for one thing I am very persistent and although I hear resilience is better, persistence pays off also.

Wishing you well - hoping you find something that clicks for you.

I dont think anyone at the state of Texas wants to help me get a online job.They put all disabled people into McJobs.Texas is so backwards in that respect.Im past my working for free days.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 5:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Well i could theoretically apply to a work from home job that did not require a job coach but I wanted to work from home and my counselor said basically something to the effect that i have no hope of getting any job except a job flipping burgers with no experience.

Don't listen to stupid counsellors, just search for jobs that fit you, match your strengths and weaknesses, consistently work on improving your resume and send applications every day. Make the numbers work for you. 10000 applications at 1% chance of getting a job means 100 jobs you get. And signup for online course, start learning some practical skills in whatever field you like.

what kind of online class would you sign up for?Sadly there are less than 100 companies in this area I could work at and be a good fit at.My cousnesor think im entitled and wrong for wanting to make a living wage as a 4 year college degree holder....I am like isnt that the whole point of a bachelor's degree for most people.

Does she know a helpful, useful person could have her job and actually do it properly? It's a shame you have to deal with that sort of mentality from the person who's supposed to be helping you.

No she does not.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 5:21 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
well the problem with that is that the state workforce people refuse to help me get a clerical job.they are making me take a McJob if i want to work at all.So its either a McJob or no job.

You are not allowed to apply for jobs without state workforce or something? How many job applications did you send in the last 5 years? It should be like 10 000 if you send like 5 a day.

ya i can only do it with the state wirkforce because I am disabled and i need job accomdations and coaching.Also, I live in small podunk Texas and they put all autistic people into only mcjobs even if they have degrees because the state does not give them the funding and resources and workers needed to help me.The state makes me go through them.We got with workforce 5 years ago and we are still waiting for their help.I heard the waiting list is years long.I am thinking about giving up my job search.I did have a job coach withou them but we are paying for them and we were paying more money than we were making to work a McJob so i was losing money every paycheck working a McJob.

I can attest to our piss poor disability resource system.

At least We can both validate that for each other and attest that its a real thing in Texas.Although I would of thought it would of been less of a issue in Dallas/Fort Worth,Houston,San Antone and Austin than small town podunk Texas.I wish the state of Texas would put a lot more tax dollars into helping the disabled find good jobs that pay a living wage.I wouldnt be so mad at it if I could be pysically capable of working on a drilling rig.i am sorry you are having b ad time too.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 6:37 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Whatever you would like to be doing. Something related to your degree would make sense I guess, I don't know, copywriting, social media marketing, graphic design, 3D modeling/sculpting, photography, calligraphy. Entry level STEM like CAD modeling for 3D printing might also work. Entry level STEM like 3D printing is easy to learn even for 10 year olds, but it has a lot of very practical opportunities for small businesses.

Don't pay for it without dipping your toes first. If there is no free trial, watch some free youtube videos first and sign up for paid course only if you think this is something worthy and feasible.

Usually I learn using mostly freely available sources of information, and pay when I need some formal certificate or feedback and direction from an expert.

If you are living in an area with limited job opportunities, prioritize learning something you could be doing as remote online job.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 7:07 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I dont think anyone at the state of Texas wants to help me get a online job.They put all disabled people into McJobs.Texas is so backwards in that respect.Im past my working for free days.

So sad. My state's workforce center understands about finding the fit for Autistic people, who can excel in a focused position even though they might struggle at a McJob. Clearly many regions still don't understand and nor do most workplaces. Sigh. I've been fortunate that early in my career I was in relatively inclusive workplaces. I remember at one company there was a schizophrenic employee whose employment was subsidized --- he wasn't necessarily treated as well as he could be, but he was treated respectfully, which was something (20 yrs ago). And there was an employee who had a terminal illness and I was hired to assist him (between his naps) - again, the workplace was respectful. I have a lot more appreciation for those workplaces now that I've seen others. I guess you said phooey to the state of Texas to find your own way.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 7:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Don’t tell them you have a disability.

Exactly. This is my approach/ default mode. For better or worse. But it only works if you're somewhat indistinguishable from 'normal'.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)