Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 1:41 am

Hi everybody.
Since graduating from a university with a bachelor's with no real work experience and being chronically unemployed for 5 years I have told my mom that 80-90 percent of us are not able to find "real jobs" that are not mcjobs or manual labor blue collar not even college grads.However, people around me think I will be the exception and that somehow the stat does not apply to me.

However I am a believer in stats and probalities but i know those can be manipulated too.I wish i would of never gone to college and I am sad to say that I am in the same boat as I would of been in had i dropped out of high school.I think I will be stuck in McJobs for my working for other career because I dont have STEM degree have no experience and have been chronically employed for half a decade.Who is right.....me or my mom?I dont think I will have a chance of getting entry-level job.Also, I am former homeless.Thanks in advance.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 10:04 am

Your post does not contain enough information for anyone to tell you what kind of job will hire you after graduation

Everyone is different

Many factors determine what someones occupational prospects will be. Diagnoses are just one of them

You can't turn back time and choose to not go to college

You can leave your diploma off your resume. Sometimes that makes it easier to get a job that doesn't require college.

You could try it both ways

Of course, then employers might ask "what were you doing in 2020"

College is not everything it is cracked up to be

College is not good for everyone, in all ways, in all circumstances

However, all things equal, which they are not, people with college degrees earn more than people without college degrees

Some people without college degrees, earn more than some people with college degrees

A college degree is not magical or special

A college degree is just a job skill that some companies (over)value

The solar system contains a lot of other job skills, that do not involve degrees

Some jobs require work experience

All my jobs, minimum wage

Bachelor degree 2007, cognitive science

No matter how many job skills I get someone with a better personality will always get the job

That is not discrimination. It is survival of the fittest. They can hire anyone they want and they don't have a demographic quota

Asperger's diagnosis

Once hired, in "at will" states , they can make anyone redundant for any reason, as long as the employee does not win a civil lawsuit against the company

Numerous termites have had the nerve to make my worthless corpse redundant.

"It's not a good match", boss said

She did not tell me what I did wrong

She doesn't have to

The boss could decide they don't like your autism symptoms and fire you. They don't have to tell you why they fired you. The reason doesn't have to "make sense" or be factually accurate

:mrgreen:

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 12:50 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think I will be stuck in McJobs for my working for other career because I dont have STEM degree have no experience and have been chronically employed for half a decade.Who is right.....me or my mom? .

STEM related education tends to get overhyped with bad stats*, and this has been going on since at least Sputnik.

Quote:
Criticism

The focus on increasing participation in STEM fields has attracted criticism. In the 2014 article "The Myth of the Science and Engineering Shortage" in The Atlantic, demographer Michael S. Teitelbaum criticized the efforts of the U.S. government to increase the number of STEM graduates, saying that, among studies on the subject, "No one has been able to find any evidence indicating current widespread labor market shortages or hiring difficulties in science and engineering occupations that require bachelor's degrees or higher", and that "Most studies report that real wages in many—but not all—science and engineering occupations have been flat or slow-growing, and unemployment as high or higher than in many comparably-skilled occupations." Teitelbaum also wrote that the then-current national fixation on increasing STEM participation paralleled previous U.S. government efforts since World War II to increase the number of scientists and engineers, all of which he stated ultimately ended up in "mass layoffs, hiring freezes, and funding cuts"; including one driven by the Space Race of the late 1950s and 1960s, which he wrote led to "a bust of serious magnitude in the 1970s."[101]

IEEE Spectrum contributing editor Robert N. Charette echoed these sentiments in the 2013 article "The STEM Crisis Is a Myth", also noting that there was a "mismatch between earning a STEM degree and having a STEM job" in the United States, with only around ¼ of STEM graduates working in STEM fields, while less than half of workers in STEM fields have a STEM degree.[102]

Economics writer Ben Casselman, in a 2014 study of post-graduation earnings in the United States for FiveThirtyEight, wrote that, based on the data, science should not be grouped with the other three STEM categories, because, while the other three generally result in high-paying jobs, "many sciences, particularly the life sciences, pay below the overall median for recent college graduates."[103]

*bad readers fooled by bad professors with bunk stats would be more accurate :nerdy:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 5:58 pm

i have a liberal arts degree.I wanted to be a engineer but I just was not good at abstract math.I am sad and hopeless that i cant afford to do anything despite being a straight A student for all my years in school.I just never had a good algebra teacher in high school and i feel like it ruined my life job wise.Its hard to get experience when nobody will hire you.I thought a degree would be enough to get my foot in the door.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 6:09 pm

How about seeking civil service jobs?

Some require a bachelors degree. Most don’t specify what you have to have your degree in.

It’s better to have a degree than to not have a degree.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 10:01 pm

Also the jobs where i live that pay a living wage refuse to hire people on the spectrum and hire me because me of my disabliy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 5:21 am

Don’t tell them you have a disability.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 5:30 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Don’t tell them you have a disability.

well actually i went through the state disabled job agency people and the other supported employment people and they said there is no way i will be hired.I have to have accomadations and job coaching and no oil company will hire me.People tell me tell me all the time I am lazy but I would work if i could but i have been chronically unemployed for half a decade now.I have no real job experience.I feel like i need to tell them i have a disablity.Is it legal for every oil company to discriminate against me for being on the spectrum?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 5:41 am

I think the labour statistics for employment of people on the spectrum is not reliable for multiple reasons.

You need to work on your own "game" and not worry about Tom and Dick and Harry.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
I think the labour statistics for employment of people on the spectrum is not reliable for multiple reasons.

You need to work on your own "game" and not worry about Tom and Dick and Harry.

how should i work on my chances?I just wish i could make a good entry level middle class wage at 31 but I cant even get a job working fast food.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 12:23 pm

I wish I could meet you in person. That way, I could give you decent advice.

It’s against the law to discriminate….but you could be fired for any reason. They don’t have to say it’s because of your autism. Except if you’re in a union. This is why I suggested civil service.

I’m autistic. I’ve been working civil service for 40 years.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 2:29 pm

Just stop thinking in terms "get a job", "get hired", "become an employee" and start thinking about income, making money. Why would anyone hire you? How would you earn them more money then they supposed to pay you as salary, this is the only reason anyone would hire you. Think if you can do that for yourself or directly for other clients as an independent entity. If you can't come up with anything useful you can do, just start learning something actually useful every day.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 3:03 pm

It sounds like your mother wants you to get a job, and you are feeling like it is hopeless. I would guess this allows for some pretty defeatest conversations.

If I were in your position, I would look for a volunteer job in order to get experience. Whatever it is that you are good at or interested in. Just off the top of my head, you could volunteer in a library, teaching adults how to read, you could volunteer at an animal shelter, or at a botanical garden. Be willing to do crap jobs and to them to your best ability. Get yourself seen. You could get a job after a long time as a volunteer.

That way, you will be out of the house, which would probably make your mother happier, and you would gain experience. If you could get a reference letter that says your attendance was excellent, you worked hard, you volunteered to do more than your share. You were polite, etc., etc. These kinds of reference letters are valuable for any employment opportunity.

If you have to work at McD's, do a job that no one else wants to do, such as mopping floors and wiping tables and taking out the garbage. You won't have to do so much interacting with others. Again, just doing your job well, being prompt, etc, will go a long way to getting a paid position.

At a grocery store, start as a bagger. Movie theater, clean up or be a ticket-taker.

You said you were going through a state job assistance program, would that be vocational rehabilitation? If so, did they give you any aptitude tests? In my state, VR has assessments to see what kind of job you would best fit in,

I was never successful in the field I studied, but I did end up with an excellent situation actually running my own business in a totally different field.

Good luck.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 3:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s better to have a degree than to not have a degree.
Two possible sidenotes:

(1) It's better to have a degree than than to not have a degree if you don't go deeply into debt getting a degree that isn't very marketable.

(2) It's better to have a degree credential than to not have a degree credential. There are technical schools and training programs for skilled trades and positions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 7:20 pm

I don’t live according to statistics. If I did, I’d be a 60 year old virgin.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 7:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t live according to statistics. If I did, I’d be a 60 year old virgin.

You can do both, but ultimately final decision is up to you.