When I heard that babies come from the mother's stomach, I asked stuff like:

"So how did Mama not digest me?"
"Why was I not poop when I came out?"
"How did Mama's stomach know to not poop me out with the rest of her food?"

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 12:08 pm

When I was young at school I saw a big eared boy and exclaimed "Wow, you've got big ears!" To me it was just a surprising curiosity, I had no concept of the fact big ears is something people make fun of or thought it was in any way a bad thing. He asked me what I said in that way where you say it like "What did you say?!" that lets you know you're in trouble, but I had no knowledge of that concept either so I just repeated it. He gave me another chance by asking me again and of course I repeated it again so he beat me up.

And still painfully naive, down on the ground I asked him why he did that when I only said he had big ears so he came back and laid in some more boots.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 5:23 pm

]When my special interest was China (about second or third grade), I used to... pretend to be Chinese. Thank God nobody thought to photograph that. Not sure if racist or just cringeworthy. I obviously stopped when I was corrected.

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2017, 8:01 am

- I used to love to climb into a small cupboard, kind of fold myself inside there (very hard to fit), close the door and just sit there. Sometimes I had a little pillow with me. When you see cats trying to squeeze into boxes of various sizes - that was me and my cupboard :D

- I used to collect poppy flower buds, open them and kind of unfold the flowers and arrange them by shade from white to red (so many pinks in-between!), I still remember the exact smell of poppy buds and how they felt on my fingers.

- I lived in a block of flats and after school, around age 7, I used to just walk under the balconies looking for clothes pegs. They came in so many colours and shapes and I just couldn't stop myself from looking for more, I had bags full of them. It felt like a treasure hunt :D

- Spent hours looking for 4-leaf clovers scanning lawns with my eyes. Sometimes I emerged with like 12 of them and other kids would join in for a while, but they always gave up so fast

- I chewed leaves and twigs of all sorts and smelled them, that was very pleasant - one of my favourites were actually pea pods, if you chew them and smell them... wow, you get this green crisp freshness!

- I arranged my dad's resistors, capacitors and other little electronic components by colour and 'stripes' they had on. I liked it so much that even now I have resistors at home, put together into a necklace - brings back good memories. I think my dad is mildly autistic too and I think he understood me, he let me play with these things very often :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 2:59 pm

When I was aged 13-14 I done something so weird and stupid it's unbelievable.

I recognised a random group of girls that always hung about together, and for some strange and bizarre reason I wanted them to think I was Spanish, until I actually believed that they really did think I was Spanish - even though they did not think I was Spanish or anything for that matter, as they did not even know I existed. But in my mind I believed that they were like "oh my God that anonymous girl is Spanish" every time they saw me - because I knew that back then if a kid was foreign, other kids got interested in them for some reason, as though being foreign made you special or something (not so much black or Asian, but more so non-English-speaking white). Maybe I admired this particular group of girls and wanted them to notice me by thinking I was special in a socially acceptable way. But then things started getting a bit out of hand. I told some of my classmates that these girls thought I was Spanish, and they asked me who said they thought I was Spanish? and I was like "well, nobody said, but I know they think I am Spanish". So I went on believing the stupidness I made up in my head. The good news is I soon let it fizzle out and rationally realised that those girls didn't even care or didn't know that I existed.

YogaKitten
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2017, 7:02 pm

Fun thread! Here's a few I can think of:
-Whenever I was walking around the block and saw a stop sign, I'd always stop at it and make whoever I was walking with stop too.
-On a home video of myself, my mom asked me what kind of ice cream I wanted to eat (she had bought two kinds for my birthday). I said "I want both kinds of ice cream!" and kept repeating that phrase until she finally gave it to me.
-On another home movie, my family and I were putting up ornaments on the Christmas tree. I, for no apparent reason, mooned the camera. Then I pulled my pants back up and proceeded as though nothing had happened.
-This is a weird one. In sixth grade I was sick of being known as "the quiet girl," so I wanted to schedule a meeting with some of my classmates to tell them that I wouldn't be quiet anymore. So during class I wrote notes to some classmates telling them to meet me at recess, but I didn't sign my name or say what the meeting was for. Then I passed the notes out, trying to be secretive about it so that no one would know that I was the one passing out the notes. Well, when recess came, I felt embarrassed about the whole thing and tried to avoid everyone. Some people asked me if I was the one who had passed out the notes, but I denied having done it. It wasn't until much later that I realized it must've been obvious that I passed them out. I still don't understand why I thought no one would notice what I was doing.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. Might post some more later.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 10:02 pm

Perhaps this isn't autism-related, but:

When I was little, I was obsessed with spinning our giant globe at home. A few times, I put my hands on the globe while it was still spinning and I fell off.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 10:30 am

One of my special interests is studying different countries and their cultures. Every time I got interested in a certain country, I would make up stories about people from that country. As a writer, I still do this. I also like to study about real people from those countries. Right now, Russia is much in the news and I have become very interested in Denis Istomin. Learning about Denis Istomin has caused me to pay attention to Russia and Uzbekistan in the news and I am interested in knowing how events in those countries have affected Denis and his family.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 2:11 am

Once a woman who had seen me around her friends asked me if I'd like to go for coffee. I don't drink coffee, so I just said "No thanks" and kept going.
In High School, I once served almost a year of detentions because I had nothing else I wanted to do for that period, so I hadn't fixed my notebooks. The Principal had forgotten all about it before I went back with a few more notes in the spring.
Around that time, I was ignoring a nice bed and sleeping in the narrow space between it and the wall on a few pillows in a relaxed sitting position.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 10:23 am

RandomFox,

I laughed at your description of cats in boxes! That must have been really funny! I have noticed that cats enjoy boxes more than any commercial cat toy you can buy! My biggest cat always tried to squeeze himself into the smallest boxes and somehow made himself fit. He was a big (not fat), long Siamese mix. (Lynx/tabby point).

bowtruckle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2017, 11:46 am

Oh, I did so many silly things...

When I was about 7, for whatever reason I used to keep telling people I was from a faraway land called "Zonovania", and that my aunt and uncle were my real parents. I even made up a language!

I've always loved Jelly Babies, but I haven't always eaten them. I used to play with them. My mum used to buy me a packet, and I would take out one Jelly Baby of each colour, stand them up in a line, and knock them down like dominoes.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:44 pm

I didn't have too many issues with expressions, I had more issues in the speech department. I couldn't pronounce yellow and I got similar words confused, like shellfish and selfish. Anyhow, when I was little, I went into the middle of the street and danced on the yellow line. It started off as a dare I think, but I continued to do it for three or so years. Luckily, my old street wasn't crowded.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 2:37 pm

As a toddler, I once got into the sticky notes on my mom's desk and covered my entire naked body in them. There's a photo of this in one of the family albums...

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2017, 2:50 pm

I remember in first grade, I was told to look for an owl that I made out of construction paper. It was supposed to be right outside the classroom, but I ended up looking all over the school for it. Also, in my grade school years, my dad kept telling me not to stare at people. I was known to have a staring problem. In fourth grade, I had these ticks, for lack of a better word, that I would open my mouth wide open like I was constantly yawning. I was wearing braces at the time and those little rubber bands on them and every time I opened my mouth real wide, the rubber band would pop out. I used to make these clucking sounds, too, and it really aggravated my granny. In junior high school, I would imitate people from movies. One time, I went down to the basement of my grandparents' house and decided to crawl around in the dark. When I came back upstairs, my granny asked me if I was on drugs. Ok, that's pretty much all the "silly" things I can think of that I did when I was younger.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 3:24 pm

I was pretty literal, too. When mom told me stop staring at people, I quit looking at all. I needed more input for the mirror neurons to kick in, so then I had to learn everything myself. I turned out too slow to compete on drywall jobs, but a very good deal for really tricky jobs.
Someone told me that bones were to hold us up, and muscles to move them. I still have lousy posture, because I didn't understand that the muscles also make up for asymmetrical loading except in full repose.
I knew I wasn't supposed to take candy from strangers, but when I was in my early teens, I'd offer to share a bag of hard candy with anyone on busy street as I ate them.
My first day at a big school, I looked along every hall before I found my locker number adjacent to my home room.
As an amateur actor, I was terrible, with no clue that it was so.
I corrected my grade four teacher on a point of steelmaking. I still regularly complain of people who treat hardness, stiffness, and toughness as synonyms.