Silly things you did when you were younger

Page 1 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

aimeeandbeatles
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jul 2007, 9:25 am

What silly things have you done when you were younger (That may have something to do with being an Aspie)?

I remember I took things literally, and the teacher told me to pull my socks up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

One time somebody told me to "hit the road". and I grabebd a stick and ran to the middle fo the street and started whacking it. (Luckily it wasn't a busy street!)

I don't remember this (mom told me about it), but when I was 5 I was suspended from school for mooning the principal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :!: :!: :!:

When I was 8, I threw eggs all over the back porch.

when I was 7 I sprained my ankle running away from a nonexistant garbage truck. :? I'm serious.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 9:55 am

i don't remember so much.

once i've been out hiking with my father and i did something that made him angry (he always got angry very easily) and he told me that if i wanted to behave like that i could as well go home. so i stood up and started to walk away from him in the direction we came from. we were in middle of woods and he didn't know what to do, he was watching me leaving, expecting me to turn and go back, he thought i was joking, but i just kept walking away from him. then he caught me and later at home i heard him talking to my mom how surprised he was that i took it literally.

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2007, 9:59 am

Besides running around naked (there's a pic of me with nothing on but rainboots and another with a sambrero over my you-know-what), I used to walk in circles around things - it was my childhood stim. In the summer, I'd walk around a tree in the frontyard (it took years for the grass to grow back) and in the winter, I'd walk around the dining room table. My mom eventually took the carpet out and replaced it with tile as I'd literally worn a circle right through the carpet. Silly enough for ya? I could keep going...

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 10:23 am

I had lots of unusual and funny behaviors when I was a kid. Here are just a few...

I remember when I was about 8, 9 or 10 years old, I pretended that I was a little bird - like a sparrow, and flapped my arms as hard as I could, I must have done this for a couple of weeks.

A classmate said he he had a frog in his throat, I was too scared to talk to him all day, as I visualised a frog staring back at me from the back of his throat. Another time a pupil said he lost his voice, so went looking for it.

Spent several months walking around playground picking up bits of metal with a magnet (school yards are full of drawing pins for some reason). It kept me out of sight of the bullies.

When I talked to other pupils, I didn't introduce myself properly, I instead said - "I know everything about science, ask me any facts, figures, dates or times, I know everything!" I loved people asking me questions about science and astronomy.

I mistakenly called my teacher Dad when I was 12. God that was embarrassing! Shows you how much I liked him...he often allowed me to do science experiments in class (science is not thought to primary school students).

When I went to the beach during summer, I only ever dug a very deep hole, all day for hours. One time a hole was so deep it collapsed on me and I had to be rescued, I could have suffocated!

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 10:29 am

If my memory serves me right I didn't use to do anything particulary funny concerned with AS when I was a child. I remember only practical jokes (often cruel) made by me, like for example when I persuaded my little cousin to kiss my grandparents's cat under his tail - yeah, I know it's disgusting.

Btw, it's now when I found out what it means if somebody tells you to pull your socks up. Our Polish counterpart of this idiom also can be taken literally - "take yourself in hand".

autisticdiva
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2007, 10:40 am

One time I was in a car with my father and sisters and my father said "Crack the window" so I hit the window as hard as I could. When my sisters and I had a pet hamster I would sing loudly "I'm a hamster running in a wheel. I love to stuff my cheeks. Lopty lopty lopty lopty. I made up the word "lopty". I would run and step on my shadow and call it "The hap". Don't ask me where I got that idea; it just came into my brain somehow.

I would draw a bird that I called "Fanou" with a huge beak that was out of proportion to its body.

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2007, 10:45 am

[quote]I would run and step on my shadow and call it "The hap".[quote]

autisticdiva: That's very cute... was your shadow the hap or was that the name of the game of running after your shadow?

autisticdiva
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2007, 11:15 am

The hap was the name of the shadow that I would step on and run after. I gave it a name and thought of it as a unique being of its own.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 12:06 pm

aimeeandbeatles wrote:
What silly things have you done when you were younger (That may have something to do with being an Aspie)?

I remember I took things literally, and the teacher told me to pull my socks up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

One time somebody told me to "hit the road". and I grabebd a stick and ran to the middle fo the street and started whacking it. (Luckily it wasn't a busy street!)

I don't remember this (mom told me about it), but when I was 5 I was suspended from school for mooning the principal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :!: :!: :!:

When I was 8, I threw eggs all over the back porch.

when I was 7 I sprained my ankle running away from a nonexistant garbage truck. :? I'm serious.

After constantly being told about the importance of making friends I finally made a friend:

~ out of rolled up pieces of wallpaper.

He was my height and looked a little like bender (although we didn't have Futurama when I was young)

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 12:24 pm

Irulan wrote:
Btw, it's now when I found out what it means if somebody tells you to pull your socks up.

I don't think I've heard that used as an idiom. I would understand that literally if it were said to me. Maybe it's not an American phrase.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 12:33 pm

ok, i have one, i used to go camping at a family campground in a couple of trailers so one day my grandmother seen us bored and said go catch some popups so what i did was grabbed a baseball glove went to end of the tent trailer and grabbed it then said well im catching popups!! (she used to call tent trailers(camper tow behinds) popups

heres another funny one i remember, i was in elementry school and my brother just started middle, my brother ran home and in shock saying they have cameras on the classroom doors!! they have cameras on the doors in the classrooms (at the time he was bad as well so i guess it was a teacher with an imagination) by time i got to middle school i figured out what he was talking about, :lol: the "camera" was really the door's closing device at top the one end of it was tube shaped (all were in that school) and resembled the camera lens on one of them old security cameras.

another good one was 4th of july in 1994, we were at my aunts house and i was on upper wood deck and my grandmother was DIRECTLY under me, so i took a small amount of water in a glass then poured it really slowly throught the wood planks, RIGHT ONTO GRANDMA. (no i was not punished for it) they thought it was super funny more then anything

another thing i had was intense fear of solor eclipses and also feared blimps (dirigibals) someone can just make the roar of a blimp's engine i go hide, someone say "eclipse" ill run and hide and shake in fear (in some cultures, i believe was haiti they do just that, hide from solor eclipses) this fear stemmed from a channel 6 eyewitness news report (may 17 1993??) they had explained a solor eclipse and showed live on location the "diamond ring effect" and the cameraman zoomed in like 20 x on it so back then i thought this big black disk was going to cover the sun for about 5 minutes (i should have never watched this one episode of rin tin-tin (cartoon action tv show) or asked my younger cousin what a solor eclipse was!)

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 12:35 pm

This is just normal kid stuff but I always had a great imagination. I was constantly making up "languages" when I was little. My favorite was Jabbish, and it had to be written in vertically in red pencil on graph paper. When I was three I had two imaginary friends, who were my "daughters." Sandra was my age, and Alison was 5 (yet she was still my daughter!).

I also had a stuffed owl that I made up all sorts of stories for. He came from a land called "Caninia", and I used to make up Caninian words for him (some are still used in my family). I told lots of stories about him and my brother's stuffed animals. I also "taught" Caninian school to my stuffed animals, to teach them to be "proud of their heritage" (we literally still have a sign over our attic door from when I was eight that says "FPUBBY: Be Proud of Your Heiritage [sic]"- Fpubby was the Caninian word for "school").

Also, when we were in elementary school, my brother and I shared these two imaginary "enemies"- Murvy and Murvetta. We competed against them in everything, from going down the slide in fancy ways, to an "ice-skating" contest on a slippery, algae-covered underwater rock. We performed as ourselves first (really as fantastic alter-egos we had developed), and then we would perform our enemies' part (Andy would do Murvy and I would do Murvetta). Of course, we were awesome, and Murvy and Murvetta were always terrible.

I really liked being a kid- I kind of wish sometimes I could relive my childhood. I was never tortured in school the way a lot of you guys were. In my school, people were more or less tolerated for their quirks. I never even took any heat for reading in the hallways on my way to class (I avoided collisions using my peripheral vision).

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 12:36 pm

I remember when I was about six walking home from school by myself and I decided that my voice didn't fit and I needed one that sounded older.

I walked all the way home talking to myself outloud in different voices so I could choose one to be my new voice.

DaQwerk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2007, 1:13 pm

My mom had a button jar, and I used to sort them for hours, by size, shape, color,
and then in groups. I would focus for hours on those buttons. I would also count them.
I would also talk to my stuffed animals and dolls.

When I was about 6, our teacher wanted us to draw a picture of what our dad did for a
living. I asked my mom what he did (sorry now I did) and she said "he makes money",
in a sarcastic tone, of which I did not get. So I went to school the next day and
drew a picture of a man at a school desk with coins on it. (making money) The teacher
got a laugh when I told her that.

Kahil Gibran

25 Jul 2007, 1:20 pm

I remember the time when I was 6 I got off the school bus and I am walking to my class and I am walking along this other girl who rode my bus too and I am looking at the stuff she is carrying in her arms. As I am staring at the Golden Book she is carrying, she says “Stop dragging me nuts.”
And I thought she was actually dragging nuts behind her and I see she isn’t dragging her so I say.
“No I’m not.”
She keeps saying “yes you are.” And we argued the way to class.
I didn’t have the skills to say “You aren’t even dragging anything behind you.”

I also remember when I was little, every time we go shopping, I always run to the toys and look at them and take things off the shelf I want and Mom tell me “You’re not getting it. It’s too much money.”
And I always be confused by it because I didn’t see any money. All I saw was what I had in my hand but where was the money.

I remember I saw my friend going somewhere and I follow her and I ask her where she is going and she keeps saying “None of your business” and I was confused by that phrase. I didn’t know what business I had and I didn’t even know what a business was. I later on found out it meant job and I didn’t even have a job so why did my friend tell me I had a job.

I remember the time my mother and I were coming home from my great aunt’s funeral and I kept teasing her on the way home and she kept telling me to “stop that teasing” so I stop and do another tease and she kept telling me the same thing so I kept stopping and doing something else.
Then when we got back to Washington, it turns out she meant she wanted me to stop teasing, not stop THAT teasing. Why didn’t she say so? Who one earth tells someone to stop that teasing when they don’t want to be teased at all?
My mother thought I was being a brat and I full well knew what she meant. I don’t understand why to her “stop that teasing” means “stop teasing.” She knew I was literal so why would she even assume I’d understand that phrase. She gets real angry when I ask her why did she even assume it in the first place I’d understand. Sure I know it means to her stop teasing because she has told me but why would she still assume I’d understand it.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 2:23 pm

"“Stop dragging me nuts.” " She probably said, or meant: "“Stop driving me nuts.”

I love hearing everyone's stories. I'm still trying to think of some stuff to tell you guys. I have brain fog today, plus I have few memories of my childhood compared to most people.