Silly things you did when you were younger

Page 5 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

voidnull
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Dec 2016, 6:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Are car "badges" license plates?

No, like "Ford", "VW". I had a leaping jaguar. Unusually, from a Jaguar.

My father beat the hell out of me when he found them. Then drove me to the police station, parked outside and proceeded to shout at me for another hour or so, letting me believe he was "taking me in" when he'd done. He didn't though. I was 10 years old.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 6:35 pm

Is he a cop?

voidnull
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Dec 2016, 6:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is he a cop?

No, he was just violent. He was a steelworker =]

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 6:41 pm

At least you didn't take hubcaps LOL

voidnull
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Dec 2016, 6:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
At least you didn't take hubcaps LOL

Lmao, they would have been skimmed at me, assuming I hadn't already skimmed them on the way home!

We did once "find"/"win" the bonnet/hood to a VW Beetle while there was thick snow on the ground, in a very hilly city. We got it to the top of a serious hill, which had a path running across the bottom of it, then more open land the other side of the path. I jumped on, stomach down. Then a friend jumped on my back. Then another and another. Then bigger dudes came along and jumped on too, and set it running down the hill. All the snow was in my face and my arm got stuck out front and under it, with everyone's weight on top. At speed we cut over the path, and my elbow struck the opposing curb, bringing us all to a sudden standstill. Nothing broke but I never jumped on first again..

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 6:54 pm

The things we do as kids!

We really have to do silly things in order to learn not to do silly things as adults.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 7:17 pm

One summer's evening at the age of 6, I put ladybugs in my underwear so they wouldn't fly away.

Another time at the age of 6, I put tennis balls into my underwear, because I wanted to know what it was like to really be a boy.

When I was 8, I played on top of bark mulch at school and I told my mum that I wasn't. I liked the way that it felt on my hands.

One day at school at the age of 9, I dotted all of my Us and drew swastikas and German crosses all over a work sheet I was working on. The teacher's aide which I hated whited out all of my beautiful artwork and told me to erase all the dots over my Us.

I was working on a written project on the Prairie Rattle Snake at the age of 11. I got to the last page where I had to write down 10 facts about rattle snakes. I wrote down 10 myths instead. I was tired of working on that project, but I had to get it done, because my family got invited to go on a preview trip to Expo 86 a day later, before it opened the next month.

I found out the origin of the Munro name and the heritage of both sides of my family at the age of 12. I found out that there was a tonne of Scottish and English with a little bit of German on my dad's side of the family and French and English on my mum's side of the family. I knew that I couldn't pass on the family name, so I rebelled against the gender thing, put on a British mask and hypothetically flew the Union Jack with a vengeance. One morning, my sister and I were watching Hogan's Heroes. I quipped to my sister in a fake Cockney accent that I made up, "I'm Peter Newkirk!" My mum yelled from the kitchen, "Shelby! I heard that!" My sister said, "You remind me of Schultz." I asked, "Why?" My sister said, "You just do!" I've lived up to that charade for 28 and a half years until I've experienced a massive burnout a year ago this coming January. Metabolism boosters also played a part in that.

Another time the summer that I was 12 when we had company, a grown water puppy was standing on our front lawn. My mum said, "Look at that dog's face. It almost looks human." I quipped in my best made up Cockney accent, "Maybe a lady had a dog for a baby." My mum said, "Shelby! That's not funny!"

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 7:24 pm

Drew ITV regional logos on my wall with lipstick and tore my brothers' football posters off their wall and smeared boot polish where they were...

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 7:28 pm

I used to run around in circles while flapping my arms reciting TV bumpers from PBS until I would fall down.

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

28 Dec 2016, 8:37 pm

When I was younger I used to play (on my own as I was VERY protective and hated sharing) with my dolls and dollhouses. My mom explains that I'd keep it in the same spot for days (inconvenient places) and would meltdown if it got touched or moved. Thinking of it now, it's quite funny how I can't handle change now & back then.

I remember I used to always sit infront of the washing machine spinning for ages and I got up and fell back onto the floor!! (spinning objects are AMAAAZING)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 10:03 pm

I always remember being interested in animals (cats, dogs and horses).

My mother said when I was about a year old, I could tell what song was playing by the pattern on the record. (This was in the 1960s). She thought I could read already.

I used to write stories about people from whatever country I was fascinated with at every time in my life. I made up characters from Japan, Spain, Argentina, Ukraine and now, Russia and Serbia. I have favorite tennis players from virtually all of these countries as well. I have two favorite players from Spain, one Argentinean, one Japanese, one Serb and a Russian-born Uzbek.

I once made a list of every country and its capital one night when I couldn't sleep.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 10:13 pm

For as long as I could remember, I had a special thing for Siamese cats. My favorite story in childhood was a German story about a Siamese cat. I had a toy Siamese I was really attached to, and was sad when I left it behind at xchool one day. I collected everything related to cats and the Siamese was my favorite breed. In 1979, I got my first real Siamese, Samantha. She lived to be 20.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2016, 3:52 am

* Whenever I went to the city, I would pretend to put something like a space suit on, and I would make sure I always put my foot in the middle of every square on the floor. It's like it would be bad luck if I stepped on the edge of a square. I did this until I was about nine, and I still do it when I walk on tiles, but without the pretend space suit.

* When I went to an Italian restaurant with my family, I always had leftover ham from my pizza, so I arranged it on my plate in a circle, and I made it into a clock. It was always on 2:00 PM. I think I did that until I was 13.

* I would climb up the ladders for slides and things and then get scared when I got to the top. I couldn't do anything, so I was stuck there. My mum would have to go and help me down. Once I was back on the floor, I thought if I tried it again, I wouldn't get scared this time, so I would climb back up and need her to help me again.

* I scooped ice cream into foil, squeezed it in my hand, and then ate it. I don't know why, but I thought it tasted nicer, like it had a new flavour.

* I felt bad whenever I sent someone a card or something else with my handwriting on it because I felt like it might think I was getting rid of it and that I didn't like it, so whenever I sent Christmas cards, I would write one for them and one for me so it wouldn't feel like I was getting rid of it. I had to write two of everything. I accidentally left some of my drawings on a fridge somewhere when I was about eight, and I cried because I felt like I should still have them.

* I thought people in photos could see me, so I would never get dressed in rooms with posters or photos, and if I didn't have a choice, I would put something over the eyes in the photo. If I ever embarrassed myself in front of a photo, I would move my hand in front of their face so I could erase their memory of what they just saw.

* There was an ad for something that must have been dentures, and it had clear/see through teeth. When I brushed my teeth, I tried to make them clear, and I was disappointed that they were still white.

* When I was in a car, I thought I could make it turn where I wanted it to by moving my eyes to where I wanted it to go.

* At night, I could see little bits of lots of different colours floating through the air when the light was off and everyone else was asleep. I would lay there and watch them fly around. I could tell which part of the house they were in. I pretended they were fairies.

* Whenever I ate something, I liked to read the box/look at photos of what I was eating while I was eating it. If it was something I didn't like, I would pretend it was nicer than what it was, but it didn't really help.

* I tried to rewind time by closing my eyes or putting my hand over my eyes. I did that if I fell over or something. I thought it might help me go back in time by about 10 or 20 seconds so whatever I did didn't really happen. I still do that sometimes.

* I really wanted to see a shooting star, so I wrote letters to "The Shooting Star People" so I could ask for one. I don't think I sent any, but that was okay because they were magic people and they didn't need the letters to be posted to them for them to work.

* When I was 12, it was a hot day and I poured a cup of cold water over a duck to try to help it feel better.

* On my first day of kindergarten, a girl accidentally got sand in my eyes, which hurt. I wanted to get her back so she would know how much it hurt. The next time I went there, I couldn't remember what she looked like, so I threw handfuls of sand into the face of every kid I saw (even the boys, who obviously weren't her) to make sure I would definitely get her. I didn't get told off for it, only asked "How would you like it if someone did that to you?". Someone did do that to me.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2016, 8:38 am

One time I was in a store with my mom and we were at the counter getting ready to pay for this Mickey Mouse stuffed animal. I told her that "I don't want this one, he looks like he has a load in his pants" (and he did!! !) She was mortified, closed up her purse and grabbed my hand and we quickly left the store.

A little later on in my early teens I was watching a Cheech and Chong movie, and in the scene they cut to zoo animals having sex to suggest what they were doing. I laughed uncontrollably for nearly 30 minutes. I couldn't stop. I would replay it in my mind over and over, and each time would rumble into belly laughs. My mom in the other room yelled at me to get a grip, but all I could do was laugh. Even now, thinking about it I have bursted out laughing and have tears rolling down my face. Good stuff.

Not knowing I was an Aspie until a few months ago, it explains a lot of these little life memories and they give me a good chuckle when seen with the retrospective eye.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 10:08 am

SharkSandwich,

I'm laughing with you reading your post. I remember laughing at silly stuff, too. I still laugh when I think of something I really like, even if it isn't strictly humorous-just something that makes me feel good.

JVM23
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2016, 12:24 pm

I can list some things:

Cut a school printer's ribbon (they didn't always have independent print mechanism) twice.

Hiding various items.

Suspected some people of being power-mad and did odd things to try and diminish that power.

Once in science class at primary school, we had to draw the outline of someone and add in their bone structure. However I may have been a touch too thorough and added the genitalia (thinking there were bones in the Johnson), and to cut a long story short, the ending of the 'South Park' episode 'Good Times With Weapons' has a point.