Page 11 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 3:25 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Seems the shooter thought the family were sex traffickers and wanted to rescue a trafficked child he thought lived there.

Where did you get that information? I went back to check and didn't see a link, and Google is still showing stories reporting the crime as random, that the shooter was hearing voices, nothing about a social media hoax.

This story is a little dramatized, but it has quotes that are from a Sheriff's briefing that came a day or more after the shooting, after they were able to interview the 11 year old girl. Another article that just came up said the man was trying to rescue the mythical Amber from a suicide. Anyway, this is the one I had seen when I wrote my first update post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... red-child/

I have to clarify something: I didn't mean to imply he was specifically following a current social media hoax. I was thinking more of how ideas swimming around can plant into a fertile mind. The story brought to mind the pizza shooter who had believed there were child victims in the basement. While child trafficking is a real issue, conspiracy theorists have been running quite wild on the issue, planting all sorts of bizarre ideas, creating growing concern from an assumption that the level of child trafficking is larger than it is. I instantly connected that environment to what it would do to the mind of someone who is hearing voices, and who might see himself as a hero. That was my own potential theory, more of a question to be explored than a factual connection.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 3:38 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Seems the shooter thought the family were sex traffickers and wanted to rescue a trafficked child he thought lived there.

Where did you get that information? I went back to check and didn't see a link, and Google is still showing stories reporting the crime as random, that the shooter was hearing voices, nothing about a social media hoax.

This story is a little dramatized, but it has quotes that are from a Sheriff's briefing that came a day or more after the shooting, after they will able to interview the 11 year old girl. Another article that just came up said the man was trying to rescue the mythical Amber from a suicide. Anyway, this is the one I had seen when I wrote my first update post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... red-child/

I have to clarify something: I didn't mean to imply he was specifically following a current social media hoax. I was thinking more of how ideas swimming around can plant into a fertile mind. The story brought to mind the pizza shooter who had believed there were child victims in the basement. While child trafficking is a real issue, conspiracy theorists have been running quite wild on the issue, planting all sorts of bizarre ideas, and there is this growing sense that the level of child trafficking is larger than it is. I instantly connected that environment to what it would do to the mind of someone who is hearing voices, and who might see himself as a hero. That was my own potential theory, more of a question to be explored than a factual connection.

He was trying to save an imaginary girl from suicide, by shooting an 11 year old child and a mother holding her baby? I just wonder by what logic those actions were supposed to save the child he was imagining. I feel like if ones goal is to save a kid it does not make much sense for them to also shoot two children.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 4:08 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
He was trying to save an imaginary girl from suicide, by shooting an 11 year old child and a mother holding her baby? I just wonder by what logic those actions were supposed to save the child he was imagining. I feel like if ones goal is to save a kid it does not make much sense for them to also shoot two children.

The guy was apparently losing his mind and hearing voices for some time prior to the crime, and was flying on methamphetamine when he committed it, so I doubt sense or logic had anything to do with it.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 4:15 am

DW_a_mom wrote:

I have to clarify something: I didn't mean to imply he was specifically following a current social media hoax. I was thinking more of how ideas swimming around can plant into a fertile mind. The story brought to mind the pizza shooter who had believed there were child victims in the basement.

I feel like that's a reach, the guy who went into Comet Pizza was a full blown conspiracy nut, but otherwise sane as fare as I recall, where as this guy was literally hearing voices telling him about suicidal children and sex traffickers, I don't think there's much of a comparison. While we're on the topic though, I do have a bone to pick with the anti sex trafficking crowd that whips up hysteria about a largely imaginary wave of such crime by conflating consensual sex work with coercive trafficking, a sort of Baptists and bootleggers coalition of Christian moralists and anti sexwork feminists who gin up a ton of unwarranted fear about the issue.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 4:45 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

I have to clarify something: I didn't mean to imply he was specifically following a current social media hoax. I was thinking more of how ideas swimming around can plant into a fertile mind. The story brought to mind the pizza shooter who had believed there were child victims in the basement.

I feel like that's a reach, the guy who went into Comet Pizza was a full blown conspiracy nut, but otherwise sane as fare as I recall, where as this guy was literally hearing voices telling him about suicidal children and sex traffickers, I don't think there's much of a comparison. While we're on the topic though, I do have a bone to pick with the anti sex trafficking crowd that whips up hysteria about a largely imaginary wave of such crime by conflating consensual sex work with coercive trafficking, a sort of Baptists and bootleggers coalition of Christian moralists and anti sexwork feminists who gin up a ton of unwarranted fear about the issue.

I won't deny that I sometimes "reach" when making connections. The best ideas come from creative thinking, and time has proven quite a few of my "reach" connections to have been quite insightful. Too bad I'm not good at making productive use of them. Outside of my career area, anyway, but the room for creative thinking within my career is somewhat limited (super fun when I do get to play and do it well). Oh well.

I don't know much about your tangent, although I will say that in my experience what seems like a choice to outsiders and that might even get vocalized as a choice doesn't always feel like a choice internally to the women involved. That disconnect is pretty pervasive within the lives of women. Most women want to support the choices other women make, but it is hard to know what is a real choice, and what is a "choice" of circumstance. Having raised a son, I do think a lot of men can probably relate but with very different issues and very different terminology.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 6:02 am

Dox47 wrote:
The guy was apparently losing his mind and hearing voices for some time prior to the crime, and was flying on methamphetamine when he committed it, so I doubt sense or logic had anything to do with it.

In Sheriff Judd's latest press conference, he said meth use has not been verified yet.

He said the suspect was on *steroids*.

He seems to be a muscular type.

Be the hero of your life.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 10:41 am

Off Topic
Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Why did I know you would have a comment? I like that some things don't change that drastically.

Well, you can't lay out bait that juicy and expect me to pass it up, being so precisely in my wheelhouse and all. I do think it's a tired argument, the phrase "the right of the people" is unambiguous, and nowhere else in the Constitution is it taken to mean what liberal types claim it means in the context of the 2nd Amendment, i.e. a narrow and regulated privilege vs a fully enumerated right. Given their almost preternatural foresight in other areas, I do wish the Founders had skipped the preamble on that one, it causes much more confusion than a more straightforward statement would have.

This sounds like it may be on interest to you - I just became aware of it courtesy of the Royal Armouries:
Quote:
In the United States, the right to bear arms is often perceived as intrinsically Conservative and male. However, many pro-gun talking points today mirror those espoused by left-wing activists from the post-Second World War period. This lecture explores who really 'owns' gun ownership.

When gun and mainstream media address the diversification of gun ownership it is often treated as a new phenomenon. Historically, however, some people least associated with a passion for firearms and particularly self-defence were early proponenents of it - even creating many of the rhetorical talking points and rationales that we hear today.

In this lecture, Ashley Hlebinsky explores the history behind who really 'owns' gun ownership in the United States, taking a specific look at the post-second World War period. During this time of great unrest and change in American culture, firearms advocates emerged from many movements including Leftist. Civil Rights and Feminist activism. Many of these armed players have largely been forgotten by history - until now.

Discover how two opposing sides of the gun debate are a lot closer than they may think, and how the roots of widespread gun ownership extend far below the surface of modern US culture.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lecture-armed-for-revolution-tickets-170297220571