Page 1 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 5:56 pm

Mass shooting kills 4 in Florida, including a mother still holding her infant

Quote:
A man wearing full body armor fatally shot four people, including a mother and the 3-month-old baby she was cradling, and engaged in a massive gunfight with police and deputies before he was wounded and surrendered, a Florida sheriff said Sunday. An 11-year-old girl who was shot seven times survived.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said during a press conference that even after 33-year-old Bryan Riley was arrested Sunday morning, he was so aggressive that he tried to wrestle a gun from police as he lay on his hospital gurney.

Judd said Riley, a former Marine who served as a sharpshooter in both Iraq and Afghanistan, seemed to have targeted his victims at random and appeared to be suffering from mental health issues. Judd said Riley’s girlfriend told authorities Riley had been slowly unraveling for weeks and repeatedly told her that he could communicate directly with God.

“They begged for their lives and I killed them anyway,” Judd said Riley told them during an interrogation.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:06 pm

Let's see people make a snarky 'Florida Man' joke out of this tragedy...

♤ The Military

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:19 pm

“Prior to this morning, this guy was a war hero. He fought for his country in Afghanistan and Iraq,” said Judd. “And this morning he’s a cold-blooded killer.”
“They begged for their lives and I killed them anyway,” Judd said Riley told them during an interrogation.

Not a great advertisement for returned war veterans streaming back from Afghanistan.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
“Prior to this morning, this guy was a war hero. He fought for his country in Afghanistan and Iraq,” said Judd. “And this morning he’s a cold-blooded killer.”

Not a great advertisement for returned war veterans streaming back from Afghanistan.

Veitnam all over again...

♤ The Military

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:29 pm

For the families of the victims, I am wondering if returned war veterans should be disarmed (A lot of these guys are gun nuts) till they get a psychiatric evaluation on return from active duty?

They are like cops, supposed to be protecting the nation, not hunting young mothers and babies?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Very poor taste the bolded text.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:38 pm

cyberdad wrote:
For the families of the victims, I am wondering if returned war veterans should be disarmed (A lot of these guys are gun nuts) till they get a psychiatric evaluation on return from active duty?

They are like cops, supposed to be protecting the nation, not hunting young mothers and babies?

Convincing the American government that protecting the lives of innocence is more important than letting every citizen have the right to own gun no matter how unstable that citizen may be? That'll be the day. :nerdy:

♤ The Military

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:44 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Convincing the American government that protecting the lives of innocence is more important than letting every citizen have the right to own gun no matter how unstable that citizen may be? That'll be the day. :nerdy:

My solution lets them keep their second amendment rights once they pass a test. Like getting a COVID test.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:45 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Agrees with Vegatableman

where ever you go ,there you are

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:46 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I doubt the parents or the husband of the now deceased young mother or baby would share your sentiment.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I doubt the parents or the husband of the now deceased young mother or baby would share your sentiment.

You missed the point as usual. Let's say the shooter was confirmed to be autistic. Your statement would equate to saying, "That doesn't bode well for the autistic community. "

You wouldn't get away with that.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 7:08 pm

It’s besmirching the people who served our country in Afghanistan.

It’s not a nice thing to say.

Just like when Trump called McCain a coward because he was captured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 7:13 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

You missed the point as usual. Let's say the shooter was confirmed to be autistic. Your statement would equate to saying, "That doesn't bode well for the autistic community. "

You wouldn't get away with that.

You seem to be rushing to conclusions that haven't been confirmed? agenda?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 7:16 pm

Veterans should be treated very well for serving our country. They shouldn’t be exposed to stigma because they might have PTSD from their service on the front lines. Very many mass shooters did not serve in the military.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 7:20 pm

Thank you Jakki and KK. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it offensive.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 7:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s besmirching the people who served our country in Afghanistan.

It’s not a nice thing to say.

Just like when Trump called McCain a coward because he was captured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

Completely different issues. I am suggesting there be better psyhiatric filtration that all returned troops go through when returning to civilian life. Ironically its for their benefit as well as the public. Not just shooters, a lot of returned veterans end up drug addicts and/or homeless, this suggest their mental health/well being is not being supported by the military.