There is something wrong with "workers mentality"

Page 8 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 2:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like people should seek to get into healthcare.

No robot can take away the job, say, of a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA).

I've heard it's different in USA, but here, health care workers are paid really poorly considering that the job is hard both physically and mentally and often also dangerous. Lots of people start considering changing careers after just a few years. Also, that field if any is not for everyone. Physically disabled? Try lifting and aiding the obese patients. Autistic? Oh boy, the communication problems... and there are various other reasons too why it wouldn't fit nearly everyone.

That said, I read an article about some place hiring nurses with a way higher pay than what nurses usually get here but which was similiar to what they get in many other countries. In came hundreds of applications in a few days, including from people who had already left the field, which proves that at least some of the nursing staff shortage would be solved by paying them properly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 3:27 pm

If they're unionized, CNA's actually make pretty decent money in my area----in the neighborhood of $20 an hour.

Even Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) make about $35 an hour. RN's make more.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 11:41 am

magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
Where did I say they should get no food or don't deserve the basics of life?

I said the opposite, that impulsive people can't be trusted to keep the roof over their own head or pay their food bills if you give them their benefits in cash and instead, their benefits should be given a different way where they have very limited control over them. I.e. banks, the local authorities, shops and landlords should be the only ones with access to their funds to prevent them from spending it all on drugs, booze and cigs and ending up homeless or starving half to death.

It's a no brainer.

I'm saying this from a British perspective too and more specifically the Welsh valleys. My area is infamous for sucking off the teat of the state and the mines closed down nearly 40 years ago so it's hardly like they had a shortage of time to sort everything out since.
I wouldn't trust banks, shops and landlords to always fairly manage other people's money - but I support the idea of providing goods and discounts before money. Even if harder logistically, it discourages extreme irresponsibility.

To a very limited extent I think landlords can "claim" rent payments from the local authorities if a tenant on receipt of housing benefit has got into two or more months of arrears. The process of actually redirecting that money from a tenants bank account into yours is something I've luckily yet to try but I imagine it's straight forward. Councils have been known to utterly slam landlords for abusing that right so few abuse it.

I think something like taking money out of accounts will work provided they're retrospectively taken or it's a set fixed amount, like rent. For example, a landlord can just make a request to take money out of the account provided it's clearly rent money to the price agreed on the tenancy or a shop/utility company can make a backdated request for payment provided after food or utilities have been used and there is a receipt and clear ID linking someone to that receipt. Or just simply food stamps with a unique ID that can be transferred into money later.