Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 8:11 am

I've recently developed an interest in the idea of Lady Columbia, the female goddess personification of the USA who has been a symbol of our country for centuries, as being an actual Goddess of the New World.

https://pagangrove.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... f-america/

I dont think there's some sort of secret cult in our government worshipping her, but as a synbolic pantheon in her own right I think she represents many of the values The US was built on or meant to represent, for better or worst.

Like any God or Goddess she is neither good nor evil, she just 'is'. Like a force of nature. In her case to me she is the Goddess of Diacovery. She watches over the immigrants who travel to the New World seeking a better life. But at the same time there has been blood spilt and sins committed like slavery and genocide in order to get this country to where it is today. I also believe her sacred animals are the Bald Eagle and the Rattlesnake.

I'm curious about studying more about her and maybe even incorporating her into my ritual altar. It's not that I'm especially patriotic about my country, but with as messy and worrying as things seem to be going for the US right now, perhaps if I were to work with this particular goddess she can help remind me that America isnt all bad and that there is still a good side to this country?

I'm into the idea of Goddess Worship but have had trouble picking a goddess who really calls out to me...

So maybe as an American myself she would be the perfect one to work with? :)

♤ The Military

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 10:58 pm

More interesting facts on Columbia.

https://thomasnastcartoons.com/resource ... /columbia/

♤ The Military

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 3:35 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/390743481543

I'm ordering one of these for my pagan altar someday. I shall give Columbia offerings of mini American flags, candles, incense, and red flowers, white flowers, and blue flowers. I will invoke her on July 4th as her sacred holiday and ask her to save this country from collapsing in on itself. Our American Goddess will sort out the mess we are getting ourselves into, one way or another! :heart:

♤ The Military

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2021, 3:44 pm

Going to think a while and get back to you, but off the top of my head, you'll know when a Goddess calls to you.

You seem to have made a good start on your research at any rate.

Frankly, I think we might be better off were there a cult of Columbia within government.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 3:49 pm

Do you consider Uncle Sam to be a god (ie a male deity)?

How about worshipping him too?

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 4:04 pm

Archmage Arcane wrote:
Going to think a while and get back to you, but off the top of my head, you'll know when a Goddess calls to you.

You seem to have made a good start on your research at any rate.

Frankly, I think we might be better off were there a cult of Columbia within government.

Thank you. :)

I think I have had many Goddesses call out to me, but so many have seemed out of reach unfortunately. I wanted to work with deities like Hestia because of her wholesomeness and being a protector of the home, but my home is often chaotic and I even tried to take a vow of celibacy to show her how dedicated I would be to her (like the Vestal Virgins of Rome did) but I just could not do it successfully. :( I also considered Pele because of my Hawaiian ancestry but I know so little about her or Hawaiian culture. Plus with her being a fire goddess with such an explosive violent temper I figured that wouldn't be the best deity for me given my bipolar disorder and history of anger problems... And I considered the 7 Japanese Gods of Luck, especially Benzaiten the Goddess of Beauty and Art who is my personal favorite but since I am not Japanese myself I would feel as though I were committing cultural appropriation in a way... and I even considered Lilith because despite being a 'demon' I felt sympathetic towards her. She was a strong-willed woman literally demonized for rebelling against the authority of Yahweh and her mate Adam. But I don't feel as though she would want to work with me because I am not a woman. Some tell me she would but I feel that she is strictly on the side of women in our world and has no real sympathy for men.

So when I started reading more about the idea of Columbia being the "The American Goddess". It started making more sense to me and she seems perfect. I'm an American myself so I wouldn't have to feel guilty about cultural appropriation for stealing a goddess from another culture. And I admire the idea of her being like the protector of immigrants. Most of the people who live in this country ARE immigrants one way or another.

Even if Americans don't directly worship her in favor of Christianity, I think there are many examples of way Americans unknowingly paid tribute to her.

So it's the Goddess of the New World and the Protector of Immigrants and Free Speech for me. :D

♤ The Military

Last edited by King0fSpades on 08 Sep 2021, 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 4:08 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Do you consider Uncle Sam to be a god (ie a male deity)?

How about worshipping him too?

I'm not sure if I would or not TBH.

Maybe Columbia is a representation of The Universal Goddess and Uncle Sam could be like a representation of The Universal God? Like the Divine Feminine and Divine Masculine.

They are technically like the symbolic mother and father of our country. In fact I'd say Uncle Sam is keeping with the spirit of American divorce rates as he left his first wife Columbia in favor of the Goddess Libertas aka Lady Liberty. :lol:

♤ The Military

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 8:04 pm

My hope in honoring Columbia is that she will save America from itself.

I just need to get a proper altar set up someday...

♤ The Military

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 8:10 pm

Speaking of Columbia, she actually appears on the Ace of Spades of every deck of Bicycle Playing cards.

And during the Vietnam War American soldiers used decks of Bicycle Cards featuring the Ace of Spades with her image and would toss them over the corpses of the Vietnamese soldiers they killed as a form of psychological warfare.

Hmm... could it be possible THAT is why America has been going to s**t since the 1960's? For defiling the image of our most sacred Goddess in such a horrible way? :|

♤ The Military