Took up a car job following pandemic ousting past duties

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Historynerd21
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2021, 5:29 pm

So upon being a receptionist and cashier for a foundation that only lasted two years for me I decided to leave that job. The historic landmark I worked for was closing due to the onset of the pandemic and I was left doing basic training paperwork duties. So I didn’t like it and took up a new job at a collision center for automotive leasing service. This took after six months of searching and four years of starting over with jobs four times. Once as a maintenance technician at another automotive dealer, then as a banquet server, retailer general service associate, a training clerk and finally as a car detailer. My position was changed to include more duties following the other employee in our department taking over since I was just getting used to the position for a period of six months after a 90 day review they kept me on full time. The position did involve no time off for six months and no vacation for a year which I am fine with. To this day I hope to continue my current position for the next few years until becoming a collision estimator.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 6:20 pm

Good luck in your new position.

Sorry you've been through so much because of the pandemic.

Historynerd21
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2021, 6:36 pm

Thank you. I appreciate that. My significant other has found a job serving food to children in an elementary school cafeteria following a year unemployed from her quick service restaurant job during the coronavirus lockdown a year and a half ago. Following several internship experiences and two jobs including the restaurant before she works now as a cafeteria aide, she thrived in culinary experience compared to my passion for cars more than anything else in the world. She worked in several other schools as a sub for a few months before assigned a permanent location. I don’t know if she hopes to find full time hours there or somewhere else when we get married in a few years but it’s her choice. She got it a few months ago after I started my job the past fall.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 6:37 pm

Do you both live in an apartment together?

Hopefully, you'll be eligible for rental assistance, and that the money comes quicker than it has come so far.

Historynerd21
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2021, 6:47 pm

No we do not live together in an apartment yet to tell you the truth. But I am moving in with a roommate before she moves in with her brother to live on her own with. Currently my lease is up in a few months and I have a half hour commute to and from my work. So I am due to lose my rental stipend when I live with my roommate for however long before we are wedding move-ins. I plan on saving up for a new car (where I work you get a discount) and a new house when ready.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 8:23 pm

What's your favorite period in history?

Historynerd21
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2021, 8:26 pm

My favorite part is 20th century Europe and Second World War.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 10:46 pm

I like the late medieval period myself.

Historynerd21
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Sep 2021, 3:16 am

I’d also prefer the post war period or peace time during the Cold War era.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 7:53 am

Yep. It was interesting. I grew up during the Cold War. From a US standpoint, it was primarily an anti-Communist situation. There was the fear that the Communists were bent on world domination.

Historynerd21
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Sep 2021, 8:36 am

Yes and had it not been for containment we wouldn’t be here today.

Historynerd21
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2024, 2:41 pm

So far it’s been nearly 3 years since my ex left me. I’ve taken up a lot manager job in the same company I work for only $3 up the pay scale more. I’ve bought a used car after trading in the one I’ve been in after three accidents with it. I’ve had only one accident and couldn’t be any happier since this position is a little more laid back. BMWs and Minis are a lot fun to work with and require a lot of attention to detail in hopes that will get me a promotion to sales work someday. Even my boss said he’ll need me 20+ years.