Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 11:28 am

Not a "romantic date" but a "friend date" or a "outing" or "get together".
There must be another name for it.
What is a good grown-up play date?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 11:36 am

horseback riding
apple picking
boating
picnics
ghost / haunted town tours
rock climbing
those places where you get to float like an astronaut
washing your car by hand
amusement parks (even just walking around, playing the arcade games)
water parks
zoos and aquaria

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 12:05 pm

Shopping
Eating at a restaurant
Watching a movie (either at home or cinema)
Going for a nature walk
Playing videogames together

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 12:31 pm

I like to play them up it amuses me :D

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 12:32 pm

nicely though...dont want to upset them

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 12:32 pm

Whatever you do, it needs to be something you would actually enjoy doing with the other person. And it needs to be something the other person would enjoy doing with you too. Do you know what the other person's interests/hobbies are?

If the point is just to get to know the other person, then going to a restaurant would probably be best. In that case, be sure to ask the other person about what kinds of restaurants they like.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 9:30 am

Playdates

1. Going to conventions - I just went to one with a friend over labor day weekend which felt so good
2. Playing frisbee
3. Movie nights at a friend's house
4.Visiting historical sites
5. Going to a watch a local ball game at a park
6. Going over to each other's homes for dinner
7. Going for a walk at a park

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 5:49 pm

Eating Greek food from the local "Greek Festival" and playing word games around an open fire.

(just did that - it was fun)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 12:59 pm

Never been to a Greek festival but I have been to arts festivals which are also really fun. I especially love arts festivals that have concerts.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 12:01 am

Fenn wrote:
Not a "romantic date" but a "friend date" or a "outing" or "get together".
There must be another name for it.
What is a good grown-up play date?

around here in Texas its hunting,fishing,camping,hiking,going to high school football ,college football or Dallas Cowboys games or going to a restaurant for eats an/or drinks and other sports games,Super Bowl parties,festivals,going to starbucks and having a couple beers or a glass of wine at your house with a friend.Also watching tv or netflix or hulu together with a friend.Going on walks.

Arathors
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2021, 8:16 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Whatever you do, it needs to be something you would actually enjoy doing with the other person. And it needs to be something the other person would enjoy doing with you too. Do you know what the other person's interests/hobbies are?

If the point is just to get to know the other person, then going to a restaurant would probably be best. In that case, be sure to ask the other person about what kinds of restaurants they like.

Very much this. Restaurants are a good idea if you don't know each other that well, so long as you pick one that you're both interested in. Netflix and chill is good if you're comfortable with each other.

Outside of that, shared interests are a good bet. I've gone to museums and seen movies with friends. I have friends who I get together to wrestle with, but if you and your friend have any unusual shared interests like that, you probably know it already.

Curious about almost everything. I'm especially interested in chess puzzles (warning: I'm not good at them), writing fiction, and reading scientific journals, particularly articles that I can use to improve myself or my life somehow. PMs welcome.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 12:06 pm

D&D session?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 12:29 pm

Ettina wrote:
D&D session?

I think something like this is a better suggestion than 'go to a restaurant' or 'go for a walk' together if you're trying to get to know someone.

It puts an awful lot of pressure on both of you if everything rests on the conversation being stimulating. If you make something else, like D&D or anything really, the focus of what you're doing then that takes the pressure off - even if the conversation drags there's something external to the both of you to look at, concentrate on and talk about. You can both relax a bit more that way.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 6:45 pm

Escape room
Trampoline park
Mini golf
Bowling
Art gallery/ museum/ town guided tour
Indoor climbing
Light show

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 7:47 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Ettina wrote:
D&D session?

I think something like this is a better suggestion than 'go to a restaurant' or 'go for a walk' together if you're trying to get to know someone.

It puts an awful lot of pressure on both of you if everything rests on the conversation being stimulating. If you make something else, like D&D or anything really, the focus of what you're doing then that takes the pressure off - even if the conversation drags there's something external to the both of you to look at, concentrate on and talk about. You can both relax a bit more that way.

Speaking of which, I've heard the stereotypical "dinner and a movie" date goes best if you do the movie first and then dinner... during which you discuss the movie.

I've always found structured social situations easier for interacting with people I don't know very well.