Starter jobs - I must be doing it wrong (UK)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ManaLDN
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2021, 2:04 pm

Hello there!

I am a UK-based student working for a Bachelor's degree and I just finished my course... I mean, I think I did and that uncertainty is the problem. I had to resit during summer and still don't know whether I passed or not, and that would determine whether I will graduate this year or if I will have to repeat it.

The reason why I am writing in this thread is that I have been looking for part-time jobs to sustain myself and my family - after all I can't depend on them forever. And since my profession of interest is not available on part-time basis, I have to take up some starter jobs instead. So I had a few job interviews and went on a trial as a waitress recently. It was way out of my comfort zone, and I could not perform as intuitively as I would like, despite having asked a million questions earlier that day (to make it clear, nobody was informed of my condition). By the end of the shift, I was told that the place is in fact looking for full-time staff and I wonder if that was really the case and I am paranoid, or if that really meant my performance was not up to standard and they could not find a more direct way to express it. If by any chance this post is being read by anyone from the restaurant I had trial with, I say hello and ask for understanding, for in spite of being nervous around people I don't want to live a parasitic lifestyle.

I needed to vent, but more importantly, I need advice. Am I looking in the wrong places? Is there anything I will be better suited for as an autistic female (too weak for most construction jobs), with an odd schedule (free on weekends and two weekdays), and little work experience?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 9:27 pm

UberEATS, lyft driver

Babysitting.

Freelance

Medical transcription

Mow lawn

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 12:08 pm

Cleaning? Can get very physical in some places, but not all. It also usually doesn't include customer service.

If it helps, after I graduated (studied business and specialized in office work and accounting), I applied for lots of part time, low skill level jobs too since jobs in my field were (and are) rare (or well, there are more jobs that need higher education in business and accounting), but hardly even got interviews for those. I've been unemployed for long periods of time. The only jobs I've ever had have been unpaid internships and jobs where I've first started at with an unpaid internship and later gotten an actual job. Sometimes life just sucks.