Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2021, 4:08 pm

I know that many people on the spectrum have some comorbid conditions, many of which have to do with sounds, words, lights, etc. This is more about the linguistic side of that, as I am just curious what words and/or sounds that people make are incredibly uncomfortable for others.

I am sure that there are many more words for me that qualify, but the two that are most prominent are "Apricot" and "Pumpernickel". Basically, if it has a prominent P sound in it, I tend to get a bit irate and uncomfortable (but some words are fine sometimes, and sometimes not, so I think it depends on how hard the P sound is, and maybe the vowel sounds surrounding it. Hard to say, but those two previously noted words are all the time a bother).

There is a pitch in squeals, screeches, laughter, and screams that also gets to me, which typically are only present in children (but I have met adults who laugh at that particular pitch that is really uncomfortable). And this pitch quality seems to only affect me.

If more come to mind I'll share, but I would like to hear the responses from others.

ct507
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2021, 4:32 pm

There is something about certain P words. I had a boss who took so much delight in saying "grand pooba" I half expected her to do a chef's kiss at the same time. Seemed like a daily thing with her, but that might just be faulty memory. Still, not a week would go by without her saying it. Maybe it was just how pleased she was with herself though. Another P word. In the 90s, kids at school used to say "pshaw" an awful lot and it got kind of grating.

Also, whenever people out in public yell out a conversation from far away and one of them keeps having to repeat a word or phrase because the other continues to ask "what?" I can always hear both of them perfectly but somehow they can't hear each other. Sometimes I feel like yelling the words just to end the conversation for them.

As for sounds, lawnmowers, vacuum cleaners, drills, saws, and that incessant beeping sound very large vehicles make when in reverse. Ambulances in the northeast are terribly noisey too, much worse than the standard emergency sound elsewhere in the US. For whatever reason tornado sirens aren't an issue personally, though I bet for some they're excruciating.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 7:25 pm

I hate the sound of children playing noisily outside my window. I just find it so distracting, and they always seem to be yelling at each other or running around screaming instead of just playing. Maybe a child's imaginative game just looks like running around yelling to an adult, but it's still annoying to hear all day long when all you want is a bit of peace.

Loud coughing and sneezing gets to me, but I think this is misophonia. I get really agitated when someone does like 10 sneezes in a row, I don't know why, I just have to leave the room until they finish. And people with loud coughs really hurt my ears or are just annoying, especially those that smoke. I just wish human lungs weren't designed to be so LOUD.

I've always been afraid of sudden loud noises. If an ambulance is coming towards me with its blue lights flashing but no siren on, I get extremely scared because I know that the siren could turn on any second, and when I'm expecting a loud sudden noise to occur it startles me even more than if I wasn't expecting it.

I don't like people going "sshh" or telling me to sshh. Just hearing someone going "sshh" is just cringing, and I haven't met another person who feels the same but I know there are people out there who do feel the same. But I hate people going "sshh" so much that if I feel close enough to a person I have to tell them not to say "sshh" to me because I just can't bear it. But it does feel very awkward telling people that, because they probably think I'm weird for telling them that. But it's true, if somebody says "sshh" to me, not only I find it cringing but I also feel invalidated and embarrassed. I hate it when people sshh long, like one time I accidentally said a secret out loud and someone else was like "ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" that went on for like a minute. Uh, cringing! I literally prefer to be told to shut up!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 7:56 pm

Words:
I have issues with P words because of synesthaesia. They're a horrible colour.
Also "My lover" :eew:, sputum, moist, and impact (as a verb).

Sounds:
Crinkle from packaging
Styrofoam rubbing
Anything scraping or squeaking
Soda cans opening
Buzzing electronics
Ticking clocks
Soft repetitive sounds - dripping, beeping, tapping, typing, footsteps with hard shoes, cutlery clinking
Voices - Radio announcers, traffic reports, weather reports, loud TV adverts, people on telephones
Chewing, slurping, sniffling, jaw clicking -- cinemas and restaurants are the worst
Dogs chewing their feet
Background radio or TV playing in shops or waiting rooms
People fiddling or fidgeting with papers and wrappers
Heartbeats
Snoring, breathing, gulping
Chopin

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 8:49 pm

Words
- Sshh (agh, cringing! Tell me to shut up instead!)
- Stop moaning (these two words together are another way of saying "I don't want to listen to you and I don't care how you're feeling, don't express your feelings")
- Grow up (I don't like being told to grow up or keep being reminded that I'm an adult or whatever)
- Who (when every time you say any person's name someone goes "who??"
- Asperger's that gets pronounced as "Asp-her-jers" (f*****g hate the word anyway)

Sounds that annoy me
- Loud motorcycles or cars with a loud engine that you can hear for ages in the distance
- Kids voices outside your house or apartment
- Little yappy dogs
- People moving about in the room above me, particularly if they're vacuuming or moving furniture (I have an upstairs neighbour who does this frequently)
- Loud clanging of dishes and plates in the sink
- A TV chattering or murmuring from another room
- Radio commercials that spend ages with those fast-speaking disclaimers
- Kids and babies crying and whining in stores
- Loud coughing and sneezing
- A helicopter hovering above for ages
- Young women giggling near me (because I think they're laughing at me)
- Those action movies with nothing but gunshots, explosions and screeching cars
- Farts that sound like ducks quacking

Sounds that scare or worry me
- Those electric bells you get in schools
- Loud barking dogs (although this doesn't seem to startle me like it used to)
- A toddler really screaming at the top of its lungs
- Car horns
- Those really super loud motorcycles or cars, ugh, horrible things!
- Sirens that switch on suddenly when they pass you
- Buses that emit a sudden, sharp, loud hiss when it releases air build-up
- Smoke alarms

kuze
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2021, 11:30 pm

Crying babies, things that beep, certain Christmas songs and long monotones all exhasapate my tinnitus!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 11:34 pm

Words: Penile. Aspie. "My kid".

Sounds: Most female singers / girl bands. Reggae.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 1:05 am

The sound of passer by's making ignorant grunts and noises.

Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 12:16 am

As a child I got upset at the popping of balloons. I also hated the sound the pen made when the teacher wrote on the whiteboard (not just chalk + blackboard). I still perceive all sounds around me at a very high level. If I ever shared it to anyone, I was told it was "normal". I still cover my ears sometimes when motorcycles and vespas pass by.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 9:38 am

Words: Any profane words stronger than 'damn', 'hell', and 'crap' (namely the words that start with 'S' and 'F' that for some reason many people tend to like. :roll: Sorry, it was from bad experience.), the slur 'ret*d' (also from bad experience), the way people talk and say that generally make NO SENSE.

Sounds: Sirens, loud engines on sports cars, something rubbing against the Styrofoam and/or cardboard, or something like that (they irritate my teeth slightly for some reason), generally anything VERY loud, like music

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:28 am

Babies crying, children whining, people chewing with their mouths open, people mispronouncing words or using the wrong word when speaking, certain holiday songs, most Boomer-era Rock-and-Roll, rap "music", dogs barking...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:38 am

Trap hi-hats.
The guitar tone on most mainstream metal albums produced in the past 15 years.
Ben Shapiro's voice.
Dogs.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:42 am

I don't like sounds that "come out of nowhere."

Car alarms before like 2010.

Any noise over about 90 decibels.

Dripping faucets.

Others I can't think of at the moment.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 6:53 pm

Dogs barking.
I am going to endure it several times a day no matter what. I never get used to it.

Others also but not nearly at that level.

Unexpected can throw me off also.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 9:02 pm

"people". Just because "people" do something doesn't mean it is justified

"Can you" as a request. But just because you "can", doesn't mean you have to

"Huh" and "what" instead of "excuse me"

"Help" and "hurt" sound too dramatic

"Does that make sense?". Just because it makes sense, does not make it justified or correct.

Numerous other examples

Precision of language

enjumanji13 l
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2021, 12:14 am

I hate hearing people mispronounce words that are spelt how they should be read. Like, libary, library or nucular, nu-clear. How is that hard? Loud sounds in my morning, like slamming cabinets. Super loud TV watching while I am finally asleep