Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 8:56 pm

There are a lot of sounds that annoy people (especially those on the spectrum), but are there any sounds that are considered annoying for some but actually relax you?

I seem to relax when someone is mowing their lawn outside my house! I can even fall asleep to it.

Also I actually like the sound of cars going by on the road outside my house, except for annoying loud motorcycles of course. But most cars have a soft sort of sound as they pass, and even buses and other large vehicles have a gentle sort of roar that relaxes me.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm

this is a weird one ..the music / choir of Gregorian chants . The Song " Fly like an Eagle" , think it is 60 or 70s rock and roll , especially the ending . And the Song by Christopher Cross , called " Sailing "
the melody is quite relaxing . but those are musical .. Most bird songs can relax me. The hum of a car motor . can relax me too. The sound of rain . If its actually raining can help me sleep . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 9:22 pm

My oven makes an intermittent click sound as it heats up. I've seen people complain about it in the reviews, but I love it. It reminds me that something's cooking so it's comforting. It's relaxing that I can just sit and wait without having to stand there using a frypan or stirring a pot.

I love the sound of wind or any storm including thunder, hail, etc.

I love the sound of someone else putting away the dishes after washing up. It reminds me of when I was little and my mother would be cleaning the kitchen when I went to bed. Very soothing. Normally I hate clinking dishes but when it's the orderly sound of putting away cutlery or plates, it's calming to me.

Wind chimes, especially the bamboo ones, but also the dainty metal ones if they're at a distance.

Church bells. Including the instrument of church / hand bells used in choirs.

Vinyl records, when they make that scratch sound (but not when they skip).

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 9:24 pm

Joe90 wrote:
There are a lot of sounds that annoy people (especially those on the spectrum), but are there any sounds that are considered annoying for some but actually relax you?

I seem to relax when someone is mowing their lawn outside my house! I can even fall asleep to it.

Also I actually like the sound of cars going by on the road outside my house, except for annoying loud motorcycles of course. But most cars have a soft sort of sound as they pass, and even buses and other large vehicles have a gentle sort of roar that relaxes me.

Ewww I hate that lawn mowing sound.. I was sulking over it earlier.. and the cars going by outside my place isn't so bad unless I'm tired then it gets annoying! Or if I can't hear something like tv. I agree with the buses and cars being not annoying though not much relaxing .. I find relaxing are some of the sound complication things on like YouTube.. like peeling paint off the wall, wobbly wheels, big crushing machines and demolition stuff oh and painting brushes. Nature is relaxing too. Birds and others hat make flapping sounds.

kuze
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2021, 11:23 pm

Love purring cats, all forms of water, Swallows chatting . . .

Hate things that beep

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 11:30 pm

I also like the sound of lawn mowers, storms, and wind chimes. I also like the sound of people writing. It used to distract me as a kid, but I can filter sound better so now it's just a nice sound.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 11:52 pm

Boat motors, especially outboards or the big ones that go glug-glug-glug.
Sailboat masts or flagpoles clanging.
Any and all of the Flintstones background sounds / music -- total stim for me.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 11:56 pm

The sound effects they use in Nintendo games relax me. Especially the ones mainly used in Zelda games.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 3:47 am

I also like the sound of people writing and cats purring that sound when you flip through pages of a book or heaps of a4 too.. the smell of books is a bonus too. )8 n some popping sounds.

EdCase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2021, 5:21 am

I love listening to my dogs breathe.

Overhead projectors make me want to fall asleep (great in training courses <-- sarcasm).

The ocean, but maybe that's not odd.

I also like the rumble of thunder and lightning, but that doesn't relax me, it energizes me. I feel like going out in it. I love sailing too. Never been out in a big storm while sailing but I'm pretty sure I'd be loving it until my untimely death.

Guitar solos.

Silas

09 Sep 2021, 8:25 am

Music / sound is very important for me. Calms me and helps me think.

Ambient music is especially good for me: not only does it help me think and focus, it also relieves anxiety and spurs creativity. Even stuff that some people would say is "drone" music.

I like to go to youtube and simply look up "ambient music" and put it one for a couple hours.

now the sounds that set me off or put me on edge are

1. vacuum cleaners
2. loud talking or yelling in distant rooms

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 8:29 am

Joe90 wrote:
Sounds that oddly RELAX you?
Rain, especially on the patio roof.  The purr of a cat.  Mrs Fnord's breathing when she sleeps next to me.  Silence.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 12:33 pm

My heater. It's an old Lennox Pulse, and when the thing is on it makes this steady low rumble you can both hear and feel. The thing is like the Harley Davidson of heaters and I freakin love it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 12:41 pm

Strangely enough, normal chatter.
Just... Normal discussion chatter of any topic intended for a person to listen than hear.

Preferably in narrative form, maybe a lecture, usually something not heavily scripted, and in natural dialogues or discussions towards viewer.

And not the intentionally relaxing, nor the soothing, professional quality type of voice nor the listen to reading-to-fall-asleep kind. 8O

.... Probably due to a childhood habit. Literally persisted even after college.
It's very much my fault sleeping in at least the majority of the classes I've ever attended. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 6:17 pm

Jakki wrote:
this is a weird one ..the music / choir of Gregorian chants . The Song " Fly like an Eagle" , think it is 60 or 70s rock and roll , especially the ending . And the Song by Christopher Cross , called " Sailing "
the melody is quite relaxing . but those are musical .. Most bird songs can relax me. The hum of a car motor . can relax me too. The sound of rain . If its actually raining can help me sleep . :D

What do you mean "this is a weird one"?

Those are all cliche "easy listening" things that are expected to be relaxing.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 6:27 pm

Only said the Gregorian chants was a weird one , on account. That did not expect that the majority of WP inhabitants , possibly never heard of the Chants before.?

where ever you go ,there you are