Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 4:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I thought terrorism by definition was politically motivated and most organized crime in the inner cities isn't attached to some sort of political group or driven by ideology.

It's still violence, it's still terrible, but it isn't terrorism.

I think he's clumsily trying to point out that routine gang violence is a much larger concern than domestic terrorism, which raises the question of why so much more attention is paid to it than the day to day violence in the cities.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 4:49 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I thought terrorism by definition was politically motivated and most organized crime in the inner cities isn't attached to some sort of political group or driven by ideology.

I think he's clumsily trying to point out that routine gang violence is a much larger concern than domestic terrorism, which raises the question of why so much more attention is paid to it than the day to day violence in the cities.

I'm not sure gang violence exerts much political pressure, at least not in the US. Certainly there's situations where that isn't the case, as well as places where the organized crime, violence and politics are more intertwined but I don't believe that's true of the US.

With that in mind conflating non-political crime with terrorism seems like an attempt to distract from actual terrorists who committed actual terrorism with other criminals and their crimes that are already acknowledged to be unacceptable.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 5:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
With that in mind conflating non-political crime with terrorism seems like an attempt to distract from actual terrorists who committed actual terrorism with other criminals and their crimes that are already acknowledged to be unacceptable.

At the end of the day, it's all politics, gang violence is an issue for the Democrats because it largely occurs in cities they control so they try to downplay it in favor of domestic terrorism, and vice versa for the Republicans. I do happen to think the Republicans have the better argument here in that domestic terrorism is being severely over hyped as a threat vs what anyone actually does, but the whole thing is still rank politics at play.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

The OP defined domestic terrorism as *mass shootings*, nothing to do with politics.

The OP is afraid of *random mass shootings*, it would not make sense for the OP to only be afraid of the politically motivated ones.

Be the hero of your life.

Last edited by TheRobotLives on 14 Sep 2021, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:05 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

The OP defined domestic terrorism as *mass shootings*, nothing to do with politics.

Are we splitting hairs here?

♤ The Military

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:07 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

So, you're only afraid of politically motivated mass shootings at grocery stores, and not afraid of non-politically motivated mass shootings at grocery stores?

You seem to indicate that ALL mass shootings are *domestic terrorism*.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:22 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

So, you're only afraid of politically motivated mass shootings at grocery stores, and not afraid of non-politically motivated mass shootings at grocery stores?

You seem to indicate that ALL mass shootings are *domestic terrorism*.

And you seen to be putting words in my mouth. Like when you claimed I believed Biden was my 'Savior' (which I don't). And now you're claiming I'm not afraid of gang violence in this country (which is also BS).

I'm done responding to your irrational accusations. Go seek attention from somebody else. :roll:

♤ The Military

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:34 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
And you seen to be putting words in my mouth. Like when you claimed I believed Biden was my 'Savior' (which I don't). And now you're claiming I'm not afraid of gang violence in this country (which is also BS).

I'm done responding to your irrational accusations. Go seek attention from somebody else. :roll:

1. I never said anything about Biden being anyone's savior. Go back to whatever topic that is, and you'll see that is not me.

2. On this topic, we're trying to understand what you mean.

It seems like you're suggesting, ALL random mass shootings should be labeled *domestic terrorism*, because you're afraid of them.

It would not make sense for you to only be afraid of politically-motivated mass shootings, and not non-politically-motivated mass shootings.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:50 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
1. I never said anything about Biden being anyone's savior. Go back to whatever topic that is, and you'll see that is not me.

I do apologize for getting you guys confused for obvious reasons.

♤ The Military

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:52 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

The OP is afraid of *random mass shootings*, it would not make sense for the OP to only be afraid of the politically motivated ones.

I'm only insisting on defining terrorist consistently, if I failed to call out OP than feel free to transfer whatever calling out I'm engaged in on to OP.

Although to be fair, as a member of the general public I'm more worried about terrorism because terrorism (regardless of motive) tends to target the general public, whereas organized crime tends to target people affiliated with or at least adjacent to organized crime. Just like with military strikes they sometimes have high rates of collateral damage but as long as they can minimize that they can spin it, just like states do with their violence.

Organized crime tends to operate almost like a state within a state and some of the violence associated is a direct result of people violating the norms of that "state". Part of how organized crime tends to maintain it's survival is by limiting violence unless corruption is so widespread that the actual state allows them to operate with impunity.

Part of what contributes to some places having a lot of shootings/gang violence is that authority within criminal enterprises has been shattered and remained that way. Petty power struggles will lead to an escalation in violence and the players start to act like the stakes are bigger than they really are.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:55 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

That was Reynholm, not TRL.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 10:08 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

I know, I get them both confused because one is named after a Robot and one appears to have a robot avatar. Not to mention their political ideologies are obviously the same.

♤ The Military

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 11:19 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Although to be fair, as a member of the general public I'm more worried about terrorism because terrorism (regardless of motive) tends to target the general public, whereas organized crime tends to target people affiliated with or at least adjacent to organized crime. Just like with military strikes they sometimes have high rates of collateral damage but as long as they can minimize that they can spin it, just like states do with their violence.

That's fair, and more honest than a lot of the hysteria I see about political violence vs it's everyday counterpart.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 11:27 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

I know, I get them both confused because one is named after a Robot and one appears to have a robot avatar. Not to mention their political ideologies are obviously the same.

Fair enough, although as you get to know them more you'll see where they're aligned and where they're not. No two people here are perfectly aligned.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 11:33 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm only insisting on defining terrorist consistently, if I failed to call out OP than feel free to transfer whatever calling out I'm engaged in on to OP.

Then you're just skipping the OP's argument that all these random mass shootings in the news represent *domestic terrorism* because they cause fear.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 11:37 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Then you're just skipping the OP's argument that all these random mass shootings in the news represent *domestic terrorism* because they cause fear.

Because I don't agree, and like I said, if I was misattributing things than I disagree with whoever framed it that way.

It's not like my position would change based on who provided the framing.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う